88 E/B brake warning issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMAD01

Reaction score
I have an 88 Bronco E/B 5.0L.  This has been going on for some time now.  I drive this Bronco to work and back mostly, 16mi one way.  I had a brake job done about 15,000mi ago.  I replaced the rotors and front drive hubs at the same time.  Rear brakes were fine so they were left as is.  The brakes work fine.  I get home and the "rear antilock" and the "check brakes" lights are lit up in the dash.  I park and go in and let it sit, most of the time overnight till I go to work in the morning.  When I fire it up in the morning all is well and the lights won't go on all the way to work.  I'm not leaking brake fluid anywhere and the fluid tank is full.  By the time I got about to park it today I looked down and the lights were lit! 

I was driving home last week and the lights in the dash went on as I pulled up to a stop light.  A guy in a truck pulled next to me and said I should check my brake lights because they were not working.  I thanked him and went straight home.  In the morning I checked the brake lights and blinkers and all was well.  Of course the dash light warnings were not on.

Right after I had the brakes done I was at the car wash, washing the Bronco.  I finished, hopped in, turned the key, and nothing!  All the normal dash lights were lit up just like any normal start.  But turn the key and nothing.  I ended up turning the key on and jumpering the positive lead on the selonoid to start it.  I drove straight back to my mechanic and said ***?  He said that you need to lift up on the steering wheel before you turn the key and it will start every time.  I tried it and it worked.  Been starting it every time like that for the past year and a half. 

My brother suggested it might be in the ignition switch if the wiring harness is loose.  I pulled the bottom of the dashboard off and dropped the steering colume to the seat yesterday.  I had a clear shot at the switch.  The wiring harness could move a bit more than I liked, so I used baling wire to make a strap all the way around the colume and tightened it up.  The brake light thing is still going on.  Any ideas?  Thanks, Brian

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo B,

I suspects either the ignition actuator rod is damages or the ign switch is not secure near bottom of strg column.

Ignition Switch Adjustment Procedure by Seabronc http://broncozone.com/topic/7243-ignition-switch-adjustment-proceedure/

Removal & Installation w/Tilt Steering; "... turned the key on to crank (nothing happened), reached low on the column, just below the dash, and shoved his pick tool into the column and pulled down. That thing not only rolled over but it started...SO IN CONCLUSION REACH UNDER YOUR DASH AND PULL DOWN ON THAT COLUMN SWITCH ACTUATOR ROD(with the key on) AND SHE'LL LIKELY START RIGHT UP. He told me yes the switches die but they can also "walk" up the column and get so loose the rod coming down from the key will not actuate the column switch(it's also a sign the $11 switch is about to die). He also recommended I change that *** metal actuator rod assembly (Ford # E9TZ*3E715*B, $16.32 CDN). This took him half an hour and if I'd been able to do it I estimate even after my install lesson would have taken me most of the day..."

Source: by Sixlitre (Malcolm H, Eddie Bauer

ignition actuator rod replacement by Broncobill78 (Dave) at http://broncozone.com/topic/14120-87-91-ignition-switch-info-troubleshooting-guide/

OP
OP
BMAD01

BMAD01

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch miesk5.  I'll take a good look at the ignition switch and do the continuity test's from the link.  I recently replaced the *** metal ingintion actuator assy.  Who knows what I'll find.  I did pick up a new backup actuator assy bout a week ago for just in case.  This time I'll take a closer look at the actuator rod going into the switch and the nuts holding the switch down.  Thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke