coil sprung dana 60

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ants95bronco

Reaction score
So ive been doing some research on a 7.3 powerstroke swap on a bronco and it seems to be pretty straight forward.. the biggest issue is that i wanna use a dana 60 with coils utilizing the james duff sas parts.. so my question is.. is what kinda springs can i use with the factory spring buckets? The 78-79 are close in diameter but are 400 lbs per sq inch where as some factory springs in like a 05 are 425.. is this that big of a difference or am i gunna need to change the shock/spring tower as well?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Ant,

Hopefully someone else can give you pertinent info.

All I have ever found was this;

Installation, 7.3L W/D60 COILS & 6.0L wD60 Coils in Two 93's (owned by David C)

Source: by David K at http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/ford/0810dp_1993_ford_bronco_powerstroke_diesel/index.html

Excerpts;

"Fitting the '06 Dana 60 front axle proved to be a little more involved than swapping the leaf-sprung axle in, but David said the ride improvement made the effort worthwhile. Like the '02 Dana 60 in his 7.3L Bronco, the '06 Super Duty Dana 60 was also fitted with 3.73 gears, but unlike the '02 axle, it was mounted with coil springs and radius arms. Unfortunately, the radius arms on the Bronco were not compatible with the Super Duty axle, so David used a combination of Fabtech radius arms, coil springs, and sway-bar end links to install it. New mounts for the track bar, sway bar, and coil-spring buckets were built. An '06 Super Duty steering box was also retrofitted to the Bronco's frame."

"Beginning with the '02 model year, all Super Duty trucks came from the factory with a Dana 60 front axle, so that's what David swapped into the front of his 7.3L Bronco. Fitted with 3.73 gears, the 1-ton axle was far better suited to handle the weight and torque than the original 3.55-geared Dana 44 Twin-Traction Beam (TTB) axle.

The front Dana 60 axle was bolted to the Bronco with stock Super Duty leaf springs and hangers. The rear shackles were adapted to the frame with fabricated steel mounts. From this angle, you can also see how the Bronco's E4OD transmission was replaced by a Super Duty 4R100 transmission."

GL Ant!

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
use Eseries, diesel cubevan coils, with stock 351 they gave around 3" lift, with the diesel in there it will probably only be 2"  but you know they will hold up the diesel.   airbags inside those coils would help too........

OP
OP
A

ants95bronco

Reaction score
alright ill look into those. does anyone know what year would be best to get the high pinion 60 from? Seems 92-97 would be best but not exactly sure

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar