Squeaks and Creaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f2502011

Reaction score
96 Bronco and I have the most annoying squeaking and creaking coming from the hard plastic pieces.  The worst is the dash.  Sounds like it's coming from behind the dash.  Squeaks every time I hit a bump and the truck flexes. The door panels also make the same sound.  Any ideas on how to make it more tolerable? Turning up the radio doesn't work. 

Seabronc

Reaction score
You probably have a broken dash brace.  It is in the center running at a 45 degree angle from the dash to the firewall.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
F

f2502011

Reaction score
You probably have a broken dash brace.  It is in the center running at a 45 degree angle from the dash to the firewall.

Good luck,

Is it accessible without removing the dash cover?  The squeaks seem to be coming from the left and right sides and underside of the dash. Behind the instrument cluster and above the brake pedal. 

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo F250;

Welcome!

As Seabronc advised.

and

Dash;

although year is off, it may apply yo our 96s bec. Ford stopped updating TSBs to include Bronco at end of production

Instrument Panel Squeak, Top Right & Or Left Sides TSB 94-17-08 in 92-94 BRONCO, F SUPER DUTY, F-150-350 SERIES

Source: by Ford

ISSUE:

Some vehicles may exhibit a "squeak" coming from the instrument panel in the upper right and/or left hand corners. This may be caused by instrument panel coming in contact with the cowl top sheet metal.

ACTION:

Remove a small triangular piece of the material from the top right hand and/or left hand side instrument panel. Refer to the following for service details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Determine if the squeak is coming from one or both sides of the instrument panel.

Remove the "A" pillar trim moulding(s) as required.

Scribe a line from the side edge to the top edge of the instrument panel as shown in Figure 1.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/tsb/tsb/images/941708.gif

Figure 1 - Article 94-17-08

Trim the instrument panel, remove and discard the triangular shaped piece(s).

NOTE: DO NOT EXCEED THE MEASUREMENTS OR THE SIZE OF THE PIECE TO BE REMOVED. IT WILL CAUSE A CUSTOMER APPEARANCE CONCERN WHICH MAY RESULT IN THE REPLACEMENT OF THE INSTRUMENT PANEL.

Install the "A" pillar moulding(s) as required.

=======

Popping/Cracking from Dash Pad during Cooling TSB 92-25-09 for Light Trucks, 92-93 Super Duty & F Series

by Ford via Steve at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/723386

Publication Date: DECEMBER 2, 1992

LIGHT TRUCK: 1992-93 F SUPER DUTY, F-150-350 SERIES

ISSUE: A sharp "popping/cracking" noise may be heard from the instrument panel. This condition is most noticable on vehicles in warmer climates. The "popping/cracking" is caused by the rubbing of the mating surfaces between the instrument panel and the instrument pad when they are cooled, such as when air conditioning is being used.

ACTION: Eliminate the "popping/cracking" noise by inserting insulating material between the instrument panel and instrument pad. Refer to the following procedure for service details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Remove the radio.

2. Open and remove the glove box door assembly.

3. Remove the seven (7) nuts retaining the pad assembly to the instrument panel.

NOTE: THE PAD ASSEMBLY MAY BE DIFFICULT TO REMOVE BECAUSE THE PAINT MAY ACT LIKE AN ADHESIVE.

4. Remove the paint residue and other contaminants from the back of the pad assembly.

5. Install insulating tape at eight places on the instrument panel. Refer to figure for locations of tape.

6. Position pad on instrument panel.

7. Install a 3/16" I.D. X 5/8" O.D. X 1/32" to 1/16" thick, zinc coated washer (which can be obtained locally) and a nut on each stud. Hand tighten until snug.

CAUTION: DO NOT USE POWER TOOLS.

8. Install the radio and glove box assembly.

Procure locally, seven (7) 3/16" I.D. X 5/8" O.D. X 1/32" to 1/16" thick, flat steel washers. The washers must be ZINC coated, not oil coated.

Procure polyethylene tape locally. One roll, 2" wide X 72" long, repairs about eight vehicles and costs $8.09 per roll.

Procure tape from:

Walco Corporation

Adhesive Tapes Division

P.O. Box 9

1652 East Sutter Road

Glenshaw. PA. 15116

Attn: Ron Ruddock

Telephone: (412) 486-4400

Fax: (412) 486-6884

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under 12 Months/12,000 Miles

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

922509A Install Insulating Tape 0.6 Hr.

======================

Dash Exploded 92-96

by Ford via Steve at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/498379.

1 - A/C Side Window Demister and Hose (RH) 19E630

2 - A/C Accumulator Tube Support Clip 19B632

3 - A/C Side Window Demister and Hose (LH) 19E630

4 - A/C Registers 19893

5 - Glove Compartment Door Latch Cover 061A40

6 - Glove Compartment 06024

7 - Glove Compartment Bumpers 06115

8 - Glove Compartment Door Latch 106004

9 - Glove Compartment Bumpers N805979-S

10 - Lamp and Catch Assembly 5A563

11 - Pad and Retainer 04282

12 - Power Point 19N236

13 - Steering Column Opening Insulator 01657

14 - Instrument Panel 04320

15 - Duct and Support Assembly 19E726

16 - Defrost Seal Nozzle 18C367

17 - Connector 19E680

18 - Demister Seal 19C901

19 - A/C Seal 19C901

20 - Instrument Panel Center Bracket 047A32

======

Report this image

TSB 94-15-13 Dash Right Attachment Tab

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/498379

Publication Date: JULY 27, 1994

LIGHT TRUCK: 1992-94 BRONCO, F SUPER DUTY, F-150-350 SERIES

ISSUE: A "rattling" noise may come from the right hand side of the instrument panel. This occurs when the cowl attachment cracks causing the instrument panel to become loose.

ACTION: Install a metal bracket to the right side of the instrument panel to secure instrument panel to cowl. Refer to Instruction Sheet #6551.

NOTE: For steps 1-7 and 16-23, refer to the 1994 Bronco/F-series Service Manual, Section 01-12A, for assistance.

NOTE: It is important for your hands and all equipment to be free of grease or oil since they can degrade plastic parts of the instrument panel, making them weak and less resistant to fracture.

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

2. Remove the right and left kick panels (pushpins).

3. Remove the right side windshield garnish molding (Ph#2).

4. Remove the bolt securing the broken right hand lower instrument panel attachment (8mm).

5. Remove the 2 screws connecting the bottom of the instrument panel to the 2 braces (8mm).

6. Remove the 4 instrument panel top attaching screws (7mm).

7. Remove the steering column opening cover (7mm).

8. Loosen (do not remove) the 3 bolts (15mm) securing the left hand instrument panel aluminum brace to the cowl. (Figure 1)

9. Carefully pull the right side of the instrument panel toward the rear of the vehicle. Insert a 2x4 wood block between the back of the instrument panel & the cowl. (Figure 2)

NOTE: Steps 10-17 require eye protection.

10. Grind off the remaining plastic tab on the duct. (Figure 3)

11. Align the new bracket on the duct with the large ****** between the duct and the outer skin of the instrument panel. (Figure 4)

12. Insert a 3/8" x 1" bolt through the large hole of the bracket into the duct to locate the bracket into position. (Figure 5)

13. Using the bracket as a template, drill a 1/4" hole through the lower hole of the bracket into the duct. (Figure 6)

NOTE: Make sure the bracket is pressed firmly against the duct before drilling.

14. Attach the bracket at the bottom with a truss-head rivet. (Figure 7)

15. Drill 2 remaining holes, using the bracket as a template, into the right side of the duct and fasten with truss-head rivets. (Figure 8 )

16. Position the instrument panel in its installed location.

17. If needed for clearance, grind tab (Figure 8 ) so it fits to cowl side without forcing into position. The tab is made long to accomodate variations in the body sheet metal.

18. Install attaching bolt finger tight through the bracket into the A-pillar. Do not tighten.

19. Install 4 instrument panel top screws. Torque to 20 in-lb (2.2 N-m).

20. Torque 3 left hand attachment bolts to 22 ft-lb (30 N-m).

21. Install the bottom braces to the instrument panel. Torque bolts to 62 in-lb (7 N-m).

22. Torque right hand bolt in new bracket to 62 in-lb (7 N-m).

23. Install steering column opening cover. Torque screws to 20 in-lb (2.2 N-m).

24. Replace kick panels and right windshield garnish molding.

25. Connect the battery ground cable.

PART NUMBER PART NAME PRICE

F4TZ-1504366-A Instrument Panel Service Kit $30.08 (as of May 2011)

Service Kit (F4TZ-1504366-A) consists of:

One (1) bracket

Three (3) rivets

One (1) Instruction Sheet #6551

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

941513A Install Bracket 1.0 Hr.

======

why stop now?, I have time....

Dash Pad Replacement in 92-96

Source: by miesk5 & hoghappy (Robert) at http://broncozone.com/topic/7127-crash-pad/

Remove radio using Radio Removing Tool T87P-19061-A or equivalent. it is a U shaped item; use a bent Coat hanger or buy it from Wally Mart, etc. for under $5.

see here;

Radio Removal Tool, Ford pic http://www.etoolcart.com/ProductImages/specialty/OTC7575-L.gif

===

Doors and other trim

I ended-up using Velcro strip along side window plastic trim due to nerve shattering squeaks; removed "Christmas Tree" trim retainers and placed Velcro strips to underside of trim and other piece on trim supports; then cur the tress and glued em in-place

=========

Tailgate Trim Panel Retainers in Parts Break-Out Diagram w/nomenclature in a 92-96 XL & Ford part number N805636-S (14 required) other colors available

http://shop.northlandfasteners.com/N19373-Trim-Panel-Retainer-N19373.htm

Item Part Number Description

1 517C04 Roof Trim Rear Moulding

2 29004 Quarter Window Garnish Lower Front Moulding

3 N8071545-SW Pushpin (6 Req'd Each Side) 4 N807372-S Pushpin, Nylon (2 Req'd Each Side)

5 29010 Quarter Rear Window Garnish Rear Moulding

6 29126 Body Side Window Garnish Moulding Front Bracket

7 N800486-S9 Bolt and Washer

8 N801157-S58 ***** and Washer (2 Req'd Each Side, 1 Req'd Center)

9 518B34 Roof Trim Rear Moulding Joint Cover

10 29070 Body Side Window Garnish Moulding Bracket

Buy from a Ford dealer or Interior/body shop supply stores have these, but most carry black; as well as some stores' HELP displays

paint w/SEM or have body shop supply store mix it up to match your interior; avoid using sun damaged parts for matching.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/maint/stj/images/r8389c.gif

I bought the Mocha Tan ones from local Ford dealer a few yrs ago; they were slightly over-sized until I realized that Ford insrted them w/the typical tar/fiber sealant on da ribs.

Ford Part #N808658-SSD. These are the mocha ones

Northland Fasteners makes a lot of these fasteners, but all, come in black; I looked it up once and believe the correct size is Xmas Tree, part # N19374 for my Mocha Tan trim.

Use their advanced search feature once you get the correct pn from Ford; in the adv search make sure you check "Check This Box When Searching For OEM Numbers"...For instance, Ford part number N808658-SSD is for Mocha Tan

Ford dealer parts often has them (my local dealer had correct colors in stock) or can order them for you.

Some say they have used vinyl dye to color the black.

tgcarpet.jpg

Fastener for tailgate carpet - N807154-S for XL Models

=========

Door Trim Panel Squeaks/Cracking near Lock Rod on XLT model TSB 95-05-17 for 92-95

http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/tsb/tsb/95-05-17.php3

EXCERPTS:

ACTION:

Remove the door trim panel following the service procedure found in the appropriate Service Manual, Section 01-05. Install a 24mm x 35mm piece of Flock Tape to the inside corner of the door trim panel near the lock rod. Refer to Figures 1 and 2.

I replaced all trim pins (AKA Christmas trees, etc.) & used the Wall Mart chair leg pads as "Flock Tape"; on tight fit areas I used Mole Skin. Esp good since it was laying around for years, and matched the Mocha Tan panels.

"... I used adhesive backed foam used for truck camper shells, I had some laying around from my old truck, I cut it into about 1/4 inch wide strips then took off the door panels and ran it all the way around the panels It worked great, my rig has never been this quiet..." by Bigski6 in a 95

96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL)

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stjleft.htm

96 Bronco Owners Guide by Hiller Ford

http://www.hillerford.com/resource_library/owner_manuals_pdf/1996_owner_manuals_ford/96bronco.pdf

Seabronc

Reaction score
Is it accessible without removing the dash cover?  The squeaks seem to be coming from the left and right sides and underside of the dash. Behind the instrument cluster and above the brake pedal. 
As I remember, I did mine with the dash cap off, but you probably can get at it by crwling under the dash.  I had my dash cap off for multiple reasons.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JWBronco1996