302 with 289 heads???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JesseFixesCATs

Reaction score
Ive heard that you can put 289 heads on a 302 engine. I dont know much about this and i was wondering if anybody could help. Im rebuilding my 1988 302 that came out of my bronco and i need new heads. Ive heard that you can put 289 heads on a 302. What has to be changed when you do this like pushrods, rockerarms, springs, lifters Wise. What kind of benifit would this have?

thanks

jesse

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Jesse,

I find this question intriguing.  Maybe because of the simplicity. 

The engine size is determined by the bore size and the stroke and the number of cylinders. Not in the heads.  Except for a difference in design, there should be no reason why heads of one type of engine would not "fit" on another. ( SB heads on a SB motor ...ETC.)

That said, one would be prudent to check the size of the valves to determine if they would be of the size that would be beneficial to the engine I was building.

So the answer to your question, yes the "289" heads should fit on your 302 block.  They may not provide the performance your desire, depending on the other modifications. The lifters, and cam, are indigenous to the engine block.  The rockers and springs are part of the heads. There should only be an issue if the cam specs are changed.

Good Luck

Grizz

Reaction score
Hey J,

I did this exact thing to my 67 mustang.  I had a 70 302 and i came across 65 HiPo 289 heads. What Ron said is true to valve size.  you wont be moving enough air.  to fix this, you take the valves out of a Chevy 350 head and then you have the 289 head match grind to the vlave size.  the valve post is the same dia as the Ford.  With this mod you will be moving more air than a 302 stock head.  i borerd and stroked the 302 in the mustang.  needless to say it makes good rwhp.  if your brave find a 351 cleavend and put those heads on your 302.  this would be what is called a Boss 302.  there is plenty of media out there for this.  I was guided then by my shop teacher in school. 

The intake should come out to 2.02" and exhaust 1.98"

Only concern i could think of is the smog issues.  you have an 88 so the smog system is probably touchy. 

i have been wanting to do the Boss 302 to my bronco but i have opted to do a bore and stroke.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22