69 Ford Bronco wandering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blbowling85

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 69 ford bronco all redone with a built 302 with power steering and with a three speed on the floor and it has a 6" skyjacker lift professional installed with brad new 35 inch mickeys tompson on it and my question is why does it wander while your driving and went you hit bumps it go everywhere and when you shift into second gear it feel like it does it really bad to the left so what is the best way to fix this problem

Last edited by a moderator:

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Bbowling85, Welcome.

Your issues can be coming from a few things.  First be sure everything is safe. Check all the suspension and steering components are in good shape and tight. No slop anywhere!

Check for play in the wheel bearings as well.

Check the rear suspension as well. A loose spring attachment can be the problem, and isn't uncommon with a vehicle recently rebuilt..

Your Bronc being a relatively short wheelbase, is not going to be the best at handling. Then raising it makes it worse. That set up is designed for off road, and trail riding at slow speeds.  That said  It should not wander drastically.

If all the components are in top shape the next step is an alignment. Bigger tires ( taller) call for a bit more caster to keep them tracking straight. (About 2-3 deg.) if possible.

The toe is critical!   The improper toe can make a vehicle wander or dart from one side to the other. This could be why your truck wants to dart  left when you hit 2nd and it wanders over bumps. The movement of the suspension is changing the toe adjustment, making the tires actually track left or right.

The initial toe should be set at 1/4" as a start point. The tech doing the alignment should bounce the front end a bit and push the tires out at the front before taking a measurement. This simulates the forces the road has on the tires. ( bigger tires will force themselves in or out more than stock, so a toe adjustment has to be modified.).  

I think your Bronco has just a total toe adjustment. ( no adjustment for each left or right tie rod end.) If this is your setup, make a note of the toe adjustment, and which way to turn the adjuster to add or subtract toe.

Adjust air pressure...too much pressure in the tire will make big tires wander in any ridge or track in the road.

Take a test drive.  If the vehicle tracks good with the 1/4 toe. you're good to go.  If it still wanders a bit try adding another 1/8" of toe. (This is a slight turn of about 1/4 turn of the tie rod sleeve)

If the wander is worse, take the toe Back down to about 1/8'

You may also want to add a steering stabilizer. They are almost essential with lifted trucks with big tires.

Good Luck. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
WOW...!

Hard to add to that great explaination by Ron..!

However, a couple things come to mind.

1st. this "professional" ..., who might that be..? Is it the prev. owner, or a shop of sorts..?  Or, did you have it done..?

I think I'd have a talk with this "professional" to have things set straight/correct.

6" is a pretty big lift. The front axle will have suffered castor & some camber changes, along with tow-in.

This is usually corrected with larger degree "C" bushings.

This lift also changes the driveshaft/differental angle which can cause "vibration" both front & rear.

The rear is corrected with wedges on the spring perches.

2nd. If this lift didn't include a paralleling of the drag link & track bar..., serious "BUMP STEER"  will be the result.

Sounds like this is what your getting when hitting bumps/dips, or accelerate.

Lastly, I hate to be the barer of bad news but.., I don't think skyjacker is the recommended mfgr. for Early Bronco

lifts. This doesn't mean it can't be fixed..., but it SHOULD be..!  As you've experienced & Ron mentioned.. "SAFTY"

Keep us posted & give any other info. that can help us help you.

Everything Ron mentioned is important.  

Very few "shops" have required experience as to how to lift and/or tune a lifted Early Bronco.

Also, it seems no 2 are alike..., meaning what works for one may not be best for another. especially diff. year models.

B

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke