Wing windows.... HOW IN THE ****....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

genthree

Reaction score
Took all the guts out of the doors to prep them for paint.  Trying to remove the wing window.  Removed the 4 screws that hold the frame into the upper portion of the door.  Got the bottom of the wing window off the spring loaded stud, but I can not get the weatherstip/rubber covered metal strip out of the window frame...  Do you just pry it out?  Does the portion of the frame between the primary window and the wing window come out?  

This has got to be the most frustrating thing I have faced on this project..

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo G,

for now until our experts come in to help;

"...Pay close attention to how the plastic washers and the metal washers come out. It will not work correctly if they are installed wrong.

You will need to remove the large glass to get the vent window out. Easily done by removing the bump stop in the bottom of the door. It lets the window drop down so the regulator will disengage.

Also, you will have to have the triangle window removed from the frame to replace the pivot pin. I took it to a glass shop which charged me $20 bucks to remove the glass and $20 to reinstall it when I got the new pins installed.

The pins are riveted in. I could not get the brass rivets to work since I didnt have the correct anvil to set them. So I used some stainless pop rivets to hold the pin in the vent window frame.

Make sure the glass is re-installed properly on the vent windows or it will not seal up correctly when you put it all back together... dont ask how I know. I wish I had traced out the pattern of the vent window on some card board before I removed the glass to I could tell if it was in the correct shape when I reinstalled it. There is a little play in the channel so it is possible to be out of square if you are not careful..."

by Greg

Our Sponsor, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard has some new Vent Glass and other stuff

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Door/products/1504/

Also, Jeff's has the Shop Manual Diagrams: 1967-1977 Bronco Shop Manuals by Ford for various topics;

http://broncograveyard.com/rt-1273-technical-diagrams-archives.html

I have to roll, so I just went through one to ensure it is still readable;

see;

Body Manuals & Diagrams

I can't copy the direct url or info.

GL!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
You're going to be THE expert EB'r when you get that puppy completed..!!  >:D< <'>

After '68, the main window frame was welded in place. (& I think bolted in, down inside the door as well.)

You'll see the small welds on the outside of the frame.

The divider does come out & there's new ones avalible however.., I don't remember if I removed them.

I'm assuming folks cut the weld, grind the door skin spot smooth, remove the bolts & pull the frame out.

Then just bolt it in upon completion. (that's the way the early ones came. Just bolted in)

One could re-weld if thought necessary.

TBP's catalog.., page 45 shows the complete removed wind wing along with the divider.

AND.., a bit pricey new..!! :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
If it doesn't have welds, it may have a ***** through the front edge of the door into the wing frame.

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
It does have small screws holding the frame inside the track in the door frame.  I have take out all the screws and can pry the frame out of the door frame, but it seems pretty firm and I don't want to trash the frame.  I will try to attach some pictures in bit...

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
Divider between main window and wing window is attached to wing window. Remove all weather strip for main window including lower portion and slide window all the way into the door. Gently pry the top of the divider towards the main window opening. The whole assembly will slide out of the main window frame. There is a big ***** right above the window crank that taps into this assembly, so it needs to be removed..

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
The welds I'm speaking of.., are on the top of the door skin. where the main window frame slides down into the

window slot. 

Seems the bolts/screws were in the door jam on the latch side. (part # 1664 in Toms catalog)

---There's a blow-up view in Toms cat. page 39.---

I did these on the Land Cruisers & Broncos but can't differentiate between the two.., too long ago.

Would have to look at it.

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
I can see what look to be spot welds in the area you are talking about. For now I am good. Got everything apart and now stripping the doors.... Anyone ever seen a remote operated drivers side mirror before? I have one and need to find the tool to remove the inner bezel....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar