no heating acc. need to make out of scratch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78broncofreak

Reaction score
just like it says i have no heating work and no air work in my 78 bronco im gonna start from scratch and i need ideas i was gonna hook something up to a switch and just flip it to have heat i only need defrost

any help is greatly appreciated

bronco2.jpg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo 78,

WELCOME!

Since AC did not work either, will skip usual suspects such as a stuck open thermostat

with the engine warm and heater running, feel your heater hoses. They should be the same(or close) temp. If one is way hot and the other luke warm then I would suspect a clog in the heater core

there is a water valve in-line on the heater hose. Mine corroded shut on our ex 78, and I had no heat. The water valve is on the heater hose & is vacuum operated. The valve could be stuck shut or the vacuum hose could be unhooked. If the hose is hooked up, pull it off while the motor's running & see if there's vacuum. Trace it back/ replace hose

Nate wrote: "there is a cable that comes from the dash to a little silver arm sticking up on the heater /Ac evap housing under the hood. My cable is froze up so I just removed it and pushed it little arm all the way to one side. I have full heat all the time, but it works."

blend door cable is connected?

Blend Door Control Cable (aka Air Blend Door Cable) Location, Behind Control Panel Diagram in a 78 by Indybronco (Lula Mae) at

http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/media/307033

or it gets Hot, but no blower operation?

Here is a wiring diagram

79 Ford Bronco Wiring Manual by topsig

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/24302/83503

For HVAC System See pages 39 (major component location depiction)

40-43

40 is heater only models blower troubleshooting

41 is heater and AC models blower troubleshooting

42 is Operation, troubleshooting & diagrams; describes water valve and shows blend door

43 is Vacuum Diagram for vacuum motors, etc.

73-79 F Series and 78-79 Bronco Heater Core and Heater Motor Replacement For Trucks with Factory A/C or Hi/Lo Heaters

http://www.ncspecialties.com/autobody/heater/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
78broncofreak

78broncofreak

Reaction score
i should have said the guy before me took out the heater core box and replaced it with a flat piece of sheet metal in place of it he also took out all of the wiring for all of that also

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
ok

That is a huge help.

look at aftermarket heaters

Mojave Aftermarket Heater

by our SPONSOR, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Mojave-Aftermarket-Heater/productinfo/17290/

New

Unit measures only 10.12" x 9" x 5"

Moves 140 CFM

12,000 BTU output

Uses your engines existing cooling system to heat air, not an electric or gas heater.

Small enough to mount under dash or under seat to provide heat to the rear of vehicle.

Item Number: 17290

Unit Price: $185.00

Detailed Description

The MOJAVE heater is designed to simplify the task of providing heat and comfort to your ride. It eliminates the need to locate hard-to-find parts, or go through expensive rebuilds to get old units in working order. Its design offers several mounting options, and the optional Plenum includes adjustable louvers and a ****** for defroster ducting. The Mojave gets it heat from the hot water in your vehicle's cooling system (just like an O.E. unit), but has the advantage of fitting into a wide variety of confined spaces. Its compact size, ease of installation and operation make it the ideal replacement unit.

Weighs only 6 pounds!

Includes 3-way switch & wiring to complete installation.

Features:

¦ 12,000 BTU output

¦ Easy installation

¦ Multiple 3-speed blower

¦ Multiple mounting options

¦ Quiet operation

¦ Hot coolant provides heat

¦ Light weight & compact.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score

Elmo

Reaction score
i have the entire heater assembly box heater core out of a 1979 F100 if you want it. shipping from GA  may be a deal breaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
78broncofreak

78broncofreak

Reaction score
no thank you bronco pimpi think im gonna jury rig it i have a shit ton of wire and an extra heater core laying around i think ill build a box to sit it in with the blower fan and all

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom