302 crate motors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dizzyspots

Reaction score
Looking for info...the PO of the 1968 Bronco says he put a 302 Crate motor in the Bronco..Was warned by a family member who worked at Ford that there was a "bad" batch of crate motors. In theory, if you got past 500 miles ...well, you got a good one, if not....so his has a knock which is reportedly from bad wristpin...

I am buying the Bronco "right" so if I have to go thru the 302 I will, but curious if anyone else had heard of this issue?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Dizzy.., welcome...!

First, get the eng. numbers off the side of the block (up & right of starter)  AND off the intake manifold.

If it starts with  C8------- it's still the orig. motor.

I can't speak as to the numbers on a crate motor but, it won't start with "C".

If it's the orig. motor.., it's a 289.

I think that's a rumor as to "bad batch"..?  Most have a warranty.

Either way.., a rebuild is fun & you will then know exactly what you have once completed.

OP
OP
D

dizzyspots

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Bob...it is a crate motor, but way past date for any warranty hope...but 302 kit would be easy stuff

Thanks.....

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Another option.., if the motor is otherwise in good shape, you can pull/replace one plug wire at a time.

When the noise stops, that's the bad cylinder/piston/bearing.

It can be R&R'd & then get many more miles out of the eng.

Again, assuming the rest of eng. is up to spec.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Just in case you haven't check these out

A  couple of other things that make what sounds like an engine knock are, cracked exhaust manifold and ignition system arc.

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

dizzyspots

Reaction score
OE says it was a FORD reman crate motors...had about 1000 mi on it...started making the sound at idle...shut it off and parked it....Ill try the spark plug tip...then just pull it and check under the caps...rest should be OK

PS its in a late68/early 69 (vacuum wipes and fold down shield....needs paint (AZ sun), upholstery (AZ sun) but its all original and uncut...he has all the original sales docs, etc...has some minor pinhole in drivers side cowl...all other metal is solid  

Candy Apple Red (T)...is it a solid red color or really a CANDY color (metallic??)

In any event, its mine now.....pics to come....thanks for the advice !!

Seabronc

Reaction score
I have heard the ignition system arc especially when the wire from the coil to the distributor wire was not fully seated, but also when a plug wire wasn't fully seated.  I initially thought it was a knock in the engine. It's a pretty loud noise.  Inspect the exhaust manifolds for a crack, that also does it.

Good luck,

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno