Need feedback on power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CWilliamsNC

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to have some work done to correct steering drift on my 75 bronco sport. I'm having it done at a shop because it's a good deal more in depth than i can take on right now. They told me my power steering box  is shot and so i'm ordering a replacement (also replacing tie rods at the same time).

What I need advise on is A: Do i go rebuilt or used? B: What's the best place to buy it without breaking the bank? And C: Would a power steering "conversion" box work even though i already am equipped for power steering? 

I've looked at several sites but the only ones i can seem to find rebuilt are $800 with a $200 core charge and I'm unsure of the quality of a used one.

Any advise or help is much appreciated. 

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi CW.., welcome..!

First, I would suggest you doing a 10 min. inspection if you haven't already.

Start with the "rag-joint" on the steering shaft. They sometimes rot out & allow play.

Then, with a helper turning the steering wheel, insure there's play at the steering box.

(the pitman arm should move at the same time the lower steering shaft moves)

Then, while laying underneath, watch for movement at all the steering joints.

Also, you didn't mention if this rig is lifted.

The track bar (centers the front axle with the body) bushings often blow out causing slop.

If lifted & the track bar & draglink are not somewhat parallel,  the steering will never be right.

Assuming you see "slop" in the steering box.., www.tomsbroncoparts  does a good job of

rebuilding YOUR box for $370 plus frt.

If no slop, then freshening up the other steering components is in order.

P.S.  Lack of maint./service to the front wheel bearings can cause steering issues as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

CWilliamsNC

Reaction score
Thank you for the information.

My truck is not lifted but i'll still go take a look at everything you said. And thanks for telling me about the box rebuild I looked right past that.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
After inspecting with the wheels on the ground..,  you can repeat the inspection with the front axle on jackstands.

This makes loosness really obvious & you can  wiggle the wheels to check for steering loosness.

Wiggling the wheel fr. top to bottom will allow for testing of the "ball-joints". They can also cause wondering

if bad.  (meaning there should be no play.)

By knowing whats good & what isn't.., there will be no surprises at the shop.  i.e. the cost/bill... :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo