93 Eddie Bauer tranny blues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMAD01

Reaction score
I picked up this 93 Eddie Bauer last Saturday.  I knew it might have problems, but a find like this I wouldn't pass up.  I bought it!  The seats have been reupulstered in Tan leather.  New carpet everywhere.  New headliner and door panels.  A 4" lift kit with 12.5 x 33's like new.  New shocks.  It's been completely repainted.  No dings, dents, or rust anywhere.  Underneath is clean as a whistle and no leaks.  It has a 5.8L motor that runs like new.  It just turned 133,000mi.  The transmission on the other hand is acting like it wants to die.  Going to work in the morning, I fire it up and let er warm up until the idle kicks down and leave for work.  The temp gage is starting to climb off dead cold.  Outside temps have been it the 50's in the mornings here.  I get out on the road and it does not like to shift out of second into 3rd gear.  Sometimes it will go thru 1st and 2nd, then when 3rd is supposed to kick in, it will be like I put it in neutral.  If I give it gas, it will jump back in second gear and go.  After I drive approximately 4mi, 3rd gear and overdrive will work fine. 

I put in my 8hrs at the Salt mine and drive home.  It will shift normally in the afternoon like nothing is wrong.  The afternoon temps are around 80*.  I took it to a transmission shop a block away from work that rebuilt the trans in my 88 Eddie Bauer.  The guy looked underneath and said WOW!  This thing has got an A4OD transmission in it!  He said you don't see this transmission in a Bronco very much, it must have been a special order for towing because this is a truck transmission.  He said the very cheapest I could rebuild this for you is $1800.00!!!  What are the chances this trans just has a valve body issue that won't cost me all that cash?  Thanks, Brian

At work 1.jpg

At work 2.jpg

At work 3.jpg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo B,

Can you confirm the trans ID with the mechanic again or check pan yourself?

Identification & Driver Side pics;

Source: by Kenneth at http://www.technicalvideos.com/identify_my_transmission.phtml

A4LD (18 Pan Bolts)

A4LD.jpg

AOD, AODE, and AR70W (14 Pan Bolts)

C6 (17 Pan Bolts)

E4OD (20 Pan Bolts)

=======

Is the Check Engine Light (CEL) lit while driving?

CEL comes on when the electronic engine control system is not working properly. The check engine warning indicator comes on briefly when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON, and should turn off when the engine starts. If the check engine warning indicator does not come on when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON or if it comes on while the vehicle is moving, the system is malfunctioning

If the CEL does not light up at all when starting it; then suspect that bulb is burnt-out or loose, socket was damaged by PO or shop, etc. or someone removed it, which does happen, unfortunately.

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19

http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/?pid=74587&mode=threaded

A helper is good to assist in reading Codes; best is to take a cell fone vid and replay it.

Some basics;

Visual Check

1.Inspect the air cleaner and inlet ducting.

2.Check all engine vacuum hoses for damage, leaks, cracks, blockage, proper routing, etc.

3.Check EEC system wiring harness for proper connections, bent or broken pins, corrosion, loose wires, proper routing, etc.

4.Check the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), sensors and actuators for physical damage; IAC, TPS I see was replaced, etc.5.Check the engine coolant for proper level and mixture.

6.Check the transmission fluid level and quality. See E4OD Fluid Condition Check Below)

7.Make all necessary repairs before continuing

8. Check headlights

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.

Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Turn off all accessories; radio, lights, A/C, heater, blower, fans, etc. (close driver's door)

Then turn off engine and wait 10 seconds.

Do KOEO test First

Post Code(s) here according to:

KOEO

&

KOER

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
BMAD01

BMAD01

Reaction score
Definitely an E4OD trans down there.  20 bolts on the pan.  When you turn the key on, the only light to come on is the battery. Nothing else.  There is no CEL at anytime.  In fact, I've never seen it!  HA!  Must be a bunch of burned out bulbs inside the dash to find.  I did warm it up good this morning and drive it about 10mi.  Then I went to the Colorado Emissions Testing Station to run it thru.  It passed with flying colors and no tranny issues thank GOD.  I drove all over the place today with no issues.  This problem seems to happen after the vehicle has been sitting overnight in the cooler weather.

It's getting dark out right now.  Tomorrow I'll pop the hood and grab a short step ladder and start poking around inside the engine compartment at those items you mentioned.  Not sure about pulling codes on my own, but I'm not afraid to try.  I'll reread the link you supplied and see what I come up with. 

Is there a way to get email notification to replies to this post, or did I miss something somewhere?

Thanks, Brian

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Brian,

OK, Great on the testing!

Also, is the OD off/on LED blinking at end of shift lever?

Ford describes it as E4OD Transmission Control Indicator Lamp (TCIL)& Transmission Control Switch (TCS)

◾The light stays OFF when the Transmission Control Switch (TCS) attain the overdrive gear position.

◾The light stays ON when the Transmission Control Switch (TCS) is toggled—indicating the vehicle is prevented from shifting into the overdrive gear position

==================

If the CEL is burned out, connect CEL © to a 12V test light, and the light's other terminal to a 12V source on the same vehicle.

dlc-eeciv.jpg

by Steve

Note that Steve has twisted the PIN identification around, so just use his diagram above for the burnt out bulb test, and when you see Joe's Diagram you will see the correct identification.

=

I have to read more on heat-related E4OD issues; a WAG is E4OD Filter and fluid; quality, last changed? etc. then the self-test for codes will help with sensor issues (wiring harnesses, throttle position sensor, vehicle speed sensor, shift solenoid 1, shift solenoid 2

And a WAG to show how a DTC can be used to do pin-point tests on a sensor; DTC 637 - TOT sensor circuit above maximum voltage possible causes: Damaged TOT sensor. Open harness circuit(s). Damaged processor. or the transmission was overheated. The transmission fluid temperature sensor is located on the solenoid body assembly in the transmission sump. It is a temperature-sensitive device called a thermistor. The resistance value of the transmission fluid temperature sensor will vary with temperature change. The powertrain control module monitors voltage across the transmission fluid temperature sensor to determine the temperature of the transmission fluid. The powertrain control module uses this signal to determine whether a cold start shift schedule is necessary. The cold start shift schedule lowers shift speeds to allow for the reduced performance of cold engine operation. The powertrain control module also uses the transmission fluid temperature sensor input to adjust electronic pressure control pressure for temperature effects and inhibit torque converter clutch operation during the warm-up period. Symptoms: Torque converter clutch and stabilized shift schedule happens too soon after a cold start. Code 657 indicate transmission fluid temperature exceeds 132°C (270° F), results in increased EPC pressure and torque converter clutch engagement. May flash transmission control indicator lamp. Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 636, 637, 638, 657.

=============

This is by Ford:

Shift Concerns: Some or All Shifts Missing

Possible Component

Reference/Action

210 — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE

Powertrain Control System •Perform Shift Point Road Test.

•Electrical inputs/outputs, vehicle wiring harness, powertrain control module, throttle position sensor, Transmission Range (TR) sensor, vehicle speed sensor, shift solenoid 1, shift solenoid 2

•Run On-Board Diagnostics. This the Self-Test for Codes by BroncoJoe; or with a Code Scanner, costs about $30.00 at parts stores or AMAZON etc.

Clear code, road test, rerun On-Board Diagnostics.

310 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE

Fluid

•Improper level It is preferable to check the transmission fluid level at normal operating temperature after approximately 32 km (20 miles) of driving. However, if necessary, you can check the fluid level without having to drive 32 km (20 miles) to obtain a normal operating temperature if outside temperature is above 10°C (50°F).

With the vehicle on a level surface, start the engine and move the transmission gearshift selector lever through all of the gear ranges allowing sufficient time for each position to engage. Securely engage the transmission gearshift selector lever in the park position, fully set the parking brake control (2780) and leave the engine running.

Wipe off the fluid level indicator cap, pull thefluid level indicator (7A020) out and wipe the indicator end clean. Put the fluid level indicator back into the fluid filler tube and make sure it is fully seated. Pull the fluid level indicator out and read the fluid level.

CAUTION: The vehicle should not be driven if the fluid level is below the bottom hole on the fluid level indicator and outside temperature is above 10°C (50°F).

When checking fluid at normal operating temperature, the fluid level should be within the crosshatched area or HOT marked area on the fluid level indicator. When the vehicle has not been driven, and outside temperature is above 10°C (50°F), the fluid level should be between the holes or COLD marked area on the fluid level indicator.

•Condition

•Adjust fluid to proper level. A fluid level that is too high may cause the fluid to become aerated due to the churning action of the rotating parts of the transmission. Aerated fluid will cause erratic control pressure, that may result in harsh/soft shifts or engagements, damage to the clutch materials, improper torque converter operation, and the aerated fluid may be forced from the vent (7034). If fluid level is high, excess fluid MUST be removed. Refer to Fluid Change — Drain/Refill under Verification of Condition in the Diagnosis and Testing portion of this section.

A fluid level that is too low will affect transmission operation, such as: slipping, slow engagements, damage to internal hardware. Low level may indicate fluid leaks that may cause transmission damage. If fluid level is low, refer to the following procedure.

2.Observe color and odor of the fluid. It should be red, not brown or black. Odor may indicate overheating condition, clutch disc or band failure.

3.Use an absorbent white facial tissue and wipe the fluid level indicator. Examine the stain for evidence of solid particles and for engine coolant signs (gum or varnish on fluid level indicator).

•If particles are present in the fluid or there is evidence of engine coolant or water, the transmission pan must be removed for further inspection.

•If fluid contamination or transmission failure is confirmed by further evidence of coolant or excessive particles in the transmission pan, the transmission must be disassembled and completely cleaned and serviced. This includes cleaning and flushing the torque converter and transmission cooling system. Repair or replace radiator.

Shift Linkage (Internal/External) or Cable

•Damaged, misadjusted, disconnected

•Inspect and service as required. Verify linkage adjustment as outlined. After servicing linkage, verify that the transmission range (TR) sensor is properly adjusted. Refer to In-Vehicle Service in this section.

Filter Assembly and Seal

•Plugged, damaged

•Inspect filter assembly and seal for damage. Service as required.

•Filter seal damaged

Main Controls (VALVE BODY)

•Valves stuck, damaged, misassembled

•Inspect for damage. Service as required.

For diagnosis related to a specific shift, see Reference/Action •To diagnose specific No Shift, refer to the appropriate shift routine.

No Shift 1-2, Routine 220/320

No Shift 2-3, Routine 221/321

No Shift 3-4, Routine 222/322

No Shift 4-3, Routine 223/323

No Shift 3-2, Routine 224/324

No Shift 2-1, Routine 225/325

Shift Concerns: No 2-3 Shift (Automatic)

Possible Component

Reference/Action

221 — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE

Powertrain Control System

•Electrical inputs/outputs, vehicle wiring harness, powertrain control module, throttle position sensor, vehicle speed sensor, shift solenoid 1, shift solenoid 2; SEE MORE BELOW all this stuff.

•Run On-Board Diagnostics. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual for diagnosis. Perform Service Manual Pinpoint Test A using Rotunda Transmission Tester 007-00085 and Cable and Overlay 007-00107 or equivalents as outlined in this section. Service as required. Clear codes, road test and rerun On-Board Diagnostics.

This the Self-Test for Codes by BroncoJoe; or with a Code Scanner, costs about $30.00 at parts stores or AMAZON etc.

321 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE

Main Controls (VALVE BODY)

•Bolts not tightened to specification

•Retighten bolts to specification.

•Gaskets damaged

•Inspect for damage and replace.

•SS1 malfunction

•Refer to Electrical Routine No. 221.

•Direct clutch accumulator regulator valve, 2-3 shift valve, springs — stuck, missing, damaged, misassembled

•Air bleed for SS2 circuit damaged or missing

•Inspect for damage. Replace case.

•Improper components used in rebuild

•Verify that proper components are used.

Center Support Assembly

•Feedbolts missing, not tightened to specification

•Inspect, install new feedbolts and tighten to specification.

•Seal rings damaged

•Assembly damaged

•Outside diameter or case bore damaged or leaking

Direct Clutch Assembly

•Assembly

•Air check clutch assembly as outlined in this section.

•Stator support seals damaged

•Seals, piston, cylinder damaged

•Friction elements missing or damaged

•Ball check missing, damaged

---

Shift Concerns: No 3-4 Shift (Automatic)

Possible Component

Reference/Action

222 — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE

Powertrain Control System

•Electrical inputs/outputs, vehicle wiring harnesses, powertrain control module, throttle position sensor, vehicle speed sensor, shift solenoid 1, shift solenoid 2

•Run On-Board Diagnostics. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual for diagnosis. Perform Service Manual Pinpoint Test A using Rotunda Transmission Tester 007-00085 and Cable and Overlay 007-00107 or equivalents as outlined in this section. Service as required. Clear codes, road test and rerun On-Board Diagnostics.

322 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE

Main Controls

•Bolts not tightened to specification

•Retighten bolts to specification.

•Gaskets damaged or misaligned

•Inspect for damage and replace.

•Shift solenoid 1, shift solenoid 2 malfunction

•Refer to Electrical Routine No. 222.

•Overdrive accumulator regulator valve and spring, 3-4 shift valve and spring — damaged, stuck, misassembled, missing

•Improper components used in rebuild

•Verify that proper components were used in the rebuild.

Overdrive Clutch Assembly

•Assembly

•Air check clutch assembly as outlined in this section.

•Clutch plates burnt, missing

•Cylinder damaged

•Feed bolts loose, missing, leaking, seals damaged

•Install new feedbolts and tighten to specifications.

•Cylinder check ball missing

Overdrive One-Way Clutch Assembly

•Damaged

Overdrive Planet Assembly

•Damaged

•Inspect for damage. Service as required

==========

a long shot since it ran ok for the testing;

NO 2-3 UPSHIFT - E40D

TSB 94-7-16

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=43693

=====

E4OD Controls & Solenoids

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 12A650:

On vehicles equipped with gasoline engines, the operation of the E4OD automatic transmission is controlled by the powertrain control module. Many input sensors provide information to the powertrain control module, which then controls the actuators that affect transmission operation.

On vehicles equipped with diesel engines, the operation of the E4OD automatic transmission is also controlled by the powertrain control module. However, some of the input sensors are different.

Air Conditioning (A/C) Clutch 2884:

Description: The air conditioning clutch is an electromagnetic clutch that is energized when the clutch cycling A/C pressure cut-off switch closes. The A/C pressure cut-off switch is located on the suction accumulator-drier. The closing of the A/C pressure cut-off switch completes the circuit to the clutch and draws it into engagement with the compressor driveshaft. Used as an input to determine electronic pressure control when the air conditioning clutch is engaged to compensate for the additional load on the engine.

Symptoms: Failed on — electronic pressure control slightly low with A/C off. Failed off — electronic pressure control slightly high with A/C on.

Diagnostic Trouble Code 539.

Brake On/Off (BOO) Switch 13480:

Description: The brake on/off switch tells the powertrain control module when the brakes are applied. The switch is closed when the brakes are applied and open when they are released. The PCM uses this signal to disengage torque converter clutch when brake is applied.

Symptoms: Failed on or not connected — Torque converter clutch will not engage at less than 1/3 throttle. Failed off — Torque converter clutch will not disengage when brake is applied.

Diagnostic Trouble Code 536.

Distributor Ignition (DI) System:

Description: On gasoline engines, the profile ignition pickup sensor sends a signal to the powertrain control module indicating the engine rpm and the crankshaft position.

Symptoms: Engine will stall or miss.

Diagnostic Trouble Code 211.

4x4 Low (4x4L) Switch:

Description: The low range switch is located on the transfer case cover. It provides an indication of when the 4x4 transfer case gear system is in the LOW range. Modifies shift schedule for 4x4L transfer case gear ratio.

Symptoms: Failed on — Early shift schedule in 4x2 and 4x4H. Failed off — Shifts delayed in 4x4L. If the 4x4 low indicator light fuse is blown, the transmission will shift according to 4x4 low shift schedule regardless of transfer case position.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes 633, 691.

Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor — Gasoline Engines:

Description: On gasoline engines, the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor senses atmospheric pressure to produce an electrical signal. The frequency of this signal varies with intake manifold pressure. The powertrain control module monitors this signal to determine altitude. The PCM then adjusts the E4OD shift schedule and EPC pressure for altitude.

On diesel engines, the MAP sensor measures boost pressure. The PCM monitors this signal and adjusts EPC pressure.

Symptoms: Firm shift feel, late shifts at altitude.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 126-129.

Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM):

Description: The programmable speedometer/odometer module receives input from the rear brake anti-lock sensor, which is mounted on the rear axle differential housing. The PSOM processes this input signal information and relays it to the powertrain control module and the speed control module. This signal tells the powertrain control module the vehicle speed in miles per hour (mph). Used as an input in determining shift scheduling and electronic pressure control.

Symptoms: Harsh engagements, firm shift feel, abnormal shift schedule, unexpected downshifts may occur at closed throttle, abnormal torque converter clutch operation or engages only at wide-open throttle (WOT). May flash transmission control indicator lamp.

Diagnostic Trouble Code 452.

Transmission Control Switch (TCS) and Transmission Control Indicator Lamp (TCIL):

Description: The transmission control switch (TCS) is a momentary contact switch. When the switch is pressed, a signal is sent to the powertrain control module. The powertrain control module then energizes the transmission control indicator lamp and the coast clutch solenoid, applying the coast clutch to provide engine braking and cancels fourth gear operation. The TCIL indicates overdrive cancel mode activated (lamp on), electronic pressure control circuit shorted or monitored sensor failure (lamp flashing).

Sensor: Transmission Control Switch.

Symptoms: No overdrive cancel when switch is cycled.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 632, P1780, tested during Key On Engine Off (KOEO) On-Board Diagnostic only.

Actuator: Transmission Control Indicator Lamp.

Symptoms: Failed on — overdrive cancel mode always indicated, no flashing for electronic pressure control circuit shorted. Failed off — overdrive cancel mode never indicated, no flashing for electronic pressure control circuit shorted, also may be due to a bad fuse. Erratic operation (flashing) may be due to a wiring concern.

Diagnostic Trouble Code 631

Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 9B989:

Description: The throttle position sensor is a potentiometer that is mounted on the throttle body on gas applications and on the fuel injection pump lever on diesel applications. The throttle position sensor detects the position of the throttle plate or lever and sends this information as a voltage signal to the powertrain control module.

If a malfunction occurs in the throttle position sensor circuit, the powertrain control module will recognize that the throttle position sensor signal is out of specification. The powertrain control module will then operate the E4OD transmission at a higher line pressure to prevent transmission damage. This high line pressure causes harsh upshift and engagements. Used as an input to determine shift scheduling and electronic pressure control.

Symptoms: Harsh engagements, firm shift feel, abnormal shift schedule, abnormal or no torque converter clutch operation. May flash transmission control indicator lamp.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 167

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) 9E731:

Description: The vehicle speed sensor is a variable reluctance sensor that sends an AC/frequency signal to the powertrain control module. The vehicle speed sensor signal is used by the powertrain control module to calculate vehicle speed in mph. Used as an input in determining shift scheduling and electronic pressure control.

Symptoms: Harsh engagements, firm shift feel, abnormal shift schedule; unexpected downshifts may occur at closed throttle, abnormal torque converter clutch operation or torque converter clutch engages only at wide-open throttle. May flash transmission control indicator lamp.

Diagnostic Trouble Code 452.

****** Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) Sensor:

Description: The transmission fluid temperature sensor is located on the solenoid body assembly in the transmission sump. It is a temperature-sensitive device called a thermistor. The resistance value of the transmission fluid temperature sensor will vary with temperature change. The powertrain control module monitors voltage across the transmission fluid temperature sensor to determine the temperature of the transmission fluid. The powertrain control module uses this signal to determine whether a cold start shift schedule is necessary. The cold start shift schedule lowers shift speeds to allow for the reduced performance of cold engine operation. The powertrain control module also uses the transmission fluid temperature sensor input to adjust electronic pressure control pressure for temperature effects and inhibit torque converter clutch operation during the warm-up period.

Symptoms: Torque converter clutch and stabilized shift schedule happens too soon after a cold start. Codes P1783 or 657 indicate transmission fluid temperature exceeds 132°C (270° F), results in increased EPC pressure and torque converter clutch engagement. May flash transmission control indicator lamp.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 636, 637, 638, 657.

Transmission Range (TR) Sensor 7A247:

Description: The powertrain control module sends voltage to the Transmission Range (TR) sensor. The TR sensor incorporates a series of step-down resistors which act as a voltage divider. The powertrain control module monitors this voltage which corresponds to the position of the gearshift selector lever (P, R, N, (D), 2 or 1). The powertrain control module uses this information to determine the desired gear and electronic pressure control pressure. The TR sensor is located on the outside of the transmission at the gearshift selector lever.

Symptoms: Harsh engagements, firm shift feel.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 634, 654, 667, 668.

Transmission Solenoid Body:

Description: The powertrain control module controls the E4OD transmission operation through four on/off solenoids and one Variable Force Solenoid. These solenoids and transmission fluid temperature sensor are housed in the transmission solenoid body assembly. All are part of the transmission solenoid body and are not serviced individually. Additionally, in 1995, the protection diodes that were on the solenoid body have been moved to the PCM. Refer to the following information for the functions of these solenoids.

The four on/off solenoids operate in the following manner:

When the solenoid is off, the fluid pressure feed is blocked by a check ball. The check ball is held in place by the solenoid piston.

When the solenoid is turned on by the PCM, the piston is pulled up, releasing the check ball and allowing fluid pressure to be applied to the check valves and/or other components controlled by the solenoid.

Electronic Pressure Control (EPC) Solenoid:

Description: The Electronic Pressure Control solenoid is a variable force solenoid. The variable-force type solenoid is an electro-hydraulic actuator combining a solenoid and a regulating valve. It supplies electronic pressure control which regulates transmission line pressure and line modulator pressure. This is done by producing resisting forces to the main regulator and the line modulator circuits. These two pressures control clutch application pressures.

Symptoms: Failed on — minimum electronic pressure control pressure (minimum transmission torque capacity). Limit engine torque (partial fuel shut-off, heavy misfire). Flashing transmission control indicator lamp.

Failed off — maximum electronic pressure control pressure, harsh engagements and shifts. May flash transmission control indicator lamp.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 624,* 625,*

CAUTION: The electronic pressure control pressure output from the variable force solenoid is NOT adjustable. Any modification to the electronic pressure control solenoid will affect the transmission warranty. (*Output circuit check, generated only by electrical condition.)

Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Solenoid:

Torque converter clutch solenoid provides torque converter clutch control by shifting the converter clutch control valve to apply or release the torque converter clutch.

Symptoms: Failed on — engine stalls in drive at idle low speeds with brake applied or manual 2. Failed off — converter clutch never engages. May flash transmission control indicator lamp.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 629,* P0741,** P0743,** P1743, P1742, P1744. (*Output circuit check, generated only by electrical condition. **May also be generated by other non-electronic related transmission hardware condition.)

Coast Clutch Solenoid (CCS) 7M107:

The Coast Clutch Solenoid provides coast clutch control by shifting the coast clutch shift valve. The solenoid is activated by pressing the transmission control switch or by selecting the 1 or 2 range with the transmission gearshift selector lever. In manual 1 and 2, the coast clutch is controlled by the solenoid and also hydraulically as a fail-safe to ensure engine braking. In reverse, the coast clutch is controlled hydraulically and the solenoid is not on. NOTE: On certain applications, the coast clutch is controlled by the PCM in the overdrive position (TCS OFF) in gears 1, 2, and 3.

Symptoms: Failed on — Third gear engine braking with (D) range selected. Failed off — No third gear engine braking in overdrive cancel.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 626,* 628,** 643,* 652,* P0741,** P0743,* P1754.*

(*Output circuit check, generated only by electrical conditions. **May also be generated by other non-electronic related transmission hardware condition.)

Shift Solenoids 1 and 2:

Shift solenoids 1 and 2 provide gear selection of first through fourth gears by controlling the pressure to the three shift valves.

Shift Solenoid 1:

Symptoms: Improper gear selection depending on failure mode and manual lever position; refer to the Shift Solenoid Operation Chart. May flash transmission control indicator lamp.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 617,** 618,** 619,** 621,* P0750,* P0751, P0781,** P0782,** P0783.** (*Output circuit check, generated only by electrical conditions. **May also be generated by other non-electronic related transmission hardware condition.)

Shift Solenoid 2:

Symptoms: Improper gear selection depending on failure mode and manual lever position; refer to the Shift Solenoid Operation Chart. May flash transmission control indicator lamp.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 617,** 618,** 619,** 622,* P0755,* P0781,** P0782,** P0783,** P0756. (*Output circuit check, generated only by electrical conditions. **May also be generated by other non-electronic related transmission hardware condition.)

for a 96; sim to your year

====

For e mail notification and other topics

at bottom of screen, press Help

in pop-up screen, scroll to;

Email Notification of new messages

How to get emailed when a new reply is added to a topic

This board can notify you when a new reply is added to a topic. Many users find this useful to keep up to date on topics without the need to view the board to check for new messages.

There are three ways to subscribe to a topic: •Click the 'Options' menu at the top of a topic, and go to 'Track this topic'

• On the posting screen when replying to or creating a topic, check the 'Enable email notification of replies?' checkbox.

• From the 'Email Settings' section of your User CP (My Controls) check the 'Enable Email Notification by default?' option, this will automatically subscribe you to any topic that you make a reply to.

Please note that there are four different types of subscriptions:

Immediate Email Notification

This option will send out a notification immediately after a new topic or reply has been made regardless of your activity.

Delayed Emailed Notification

This option will send out a notification if a new topic or reply has been made and you're not active on the board.

Daily Email Digest

This option will send out a daily digest showing all new replies or topics for that day.

Weekly Email Digest

This option will send out a weekly digest showing all new replies or topics for that week.

You are also able to subscribe to each individual forum on the board, to be notified when a new topic is created in that particular forum. To enable this, click 'Forum Options' menu at the top forum you wish to subscribe to, and click the 'Subscribe to this forum' link.

To unsubscribe from any forums or topics that you are subscribed to - just go to the 'Subscriptions' section of 'My Controls' and you can do this from there.

OP
OP
BMAD01

BMAD01

Reaction score
meisk5,  I sure hope you copy and paste all this info!  There is way too much to absorbe in one read there!  A couple things.  The OD light is not on or blinking.  When the trans is warmed up it shifts into OD very niclely.  Downshifts are normal also.  I bought this Bronco at a used car dealer who had it there on consignment.  The previous owner is unknown to me at this time.  It seems he wants to be unknown.  There is a sticker on the tailgate from a Ford dealer in New Jersey, yet Carfax says the 2 previous owners were in Montana and Colorado.  What I'm getting at is that I have no idea when the transmission was last serviced if it ever was.  The fluid is Pink and clean.  It's raining cats an dogs here so I really can't do much of anything on the vehicle today.  Summer it seems is over here!  I'm taking it to the trans shop that did my 88's tranny on Tuesday morning.  A lot of the things you mentioned to check were also mentioned by the trans guy at the shop I'm dealing with.  These are stand up guys at this shop and I feel secure dealing with them.  Let's hope he can waive his magic wand over my transmission and make it work again as it should.  If he can't, this Bronco will be sitting until I can afford to fix it right.  I still have "Ole Faithfull" my 88 Bronco to drive.  Thanks a bunch for helping me out and giving me all this info!  I'll keep you posted as to what is going on as it happens.  Brian

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Brian,

OK,

One last Q, does the TVIL light when your "toggle" it?

and let the trans folks know that CEL isn't coming on Briefly when first starting; same for Amber ABS light

OP
OP
BMAD01

BMAD01

Reaction score
Miesk5,  There was a break in the rain, so I drove down to Oreilly's.  They put their code scanner on the Bronco.  On the KOER (key on enging running) test it came up with a #121, closed throttle voltage higher or lower than expected.  The next code was #634, manual lever position sensor voltage higher or lower than expected.  I'm assuming you were asking about the overdrive switch at the end of the shift lever.  There are no lights to be seen there while driving or not.  Push the button and it just goes in and comes out again.  No lights.  I haven't put the button to the road test to see if it actually turns the overdrive off because I was just driving around town @ 30mph and it never kicked in.  10/4 on the light info to the tranny guy.   Brian

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Brian,

Great!

DTC 634; here is the pin-point **** by Ford; it's for a 94, but same for your 93; btw, the Manual Lever Position (MLP) Sensor Tool (Rotunda T91P-7010-AHT)is expensive; the trans shop may have one or just use alignment marks to set it correctly

http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/maint/vra/vra06110.htm#ppttd1

as I mentioned in another thread here; In place of the breakout box, go to the EEC pin instead; use these;

EEC Connector Pin Diagram

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_14132057599198&key=6ed47b392b9edfe394b9e89b72717104&libId=7ab1e2ec-6e86-4a69-bb5c-109709b9212b&loc=http%3A%2F%2Ffullsizebronco.com%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D198838&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2Fweb%2F20131229163930%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2Foldfuelinjection.com%2Fimages%2Feec04.gif&title=Rough%20idle%20and%20running%20very%20rich%20-%20FSB%20Forums&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2Fweb%2F201312291...ages%2Feec04.gif

Source: by Fireguy50 (Ryan M)

EEC Connector Pin LEGEND Bronco & Ford Truck & Van: 4.9, 460, 5.0, 5.8; miesk5 Note, see his Connector Pin Diagram Link above)

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://web.archive.org/web/20131029020805/http://oldfuelinjection.com/truckpinouts.html

==============

DTC 121

TPS Testing in 5.0 & 5.8; "...Symptoms of a BAD TPS: The one thing that you can definitely count on, when the TPS fails, is the Check Engine Light shining nice and bright to let you know that there's a Diagnostic Trouble Code stored in the Fuel Injection Computer. Here are some specific symptoms you'll see: 1.TPS Diagnostic Trouble Codes: (DTC’s) stored in the vehicle’s computer’s memory. Code 23: Throttle Position (TP) Circuit Performance Problem. Code 53: Throttle Position (TP) Circuit High Input. Code 63: Throttle Position (TP) Circuit Low Input. Code 121: Throttle Position (TP) Circuit Performance Problem. Code 122: Throttle Position (TP) Circuit Low Input. Code 123: Throttle Position (TP) Circuit High Input. 2.Really BAD gas mileage. 3.No power as you accelerate the vehicle. 4.Hesitation when you step on the Accelerator Pedal. There are times when the ECM (Electronic Control Module = Fuel Injection Computer) will think the TPS has failed when it hasn't. This usually happens when the ECM spits out several Diagnostic Trouble Codes at once.. and so what will save you time, money and the frustration of replacing good parts, is to test the Throttle Position Sensor..." READ MORE http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/4.9L-5.0L-5.8L/throttle-position-sensor-tests-1

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Function & Diagnosis TSB 94-26-4 by Ford for 93-95

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12-techinfo/tsb/tsb-94-26-4.pdf

OP
OP
BMAD01

BMAD01

Reaction score
Thanks miesk5,  I'll jot this info down and pass it on to the mechinic at the trans shop in the morning.  Hope he don't think I'm trying to tell him how to fix it!!  YIKES!!  I drove the 88 Bronco into work today.  I get home and the passenger window won't go up!  It was making a snapping noise when the window hit the top of the door.  I was thinking it was worn out window seals.  Turns out it was the nylon gear the motor spins was cracked.  The gear finally jammed up the motor.  Lucky for me as my brother is a mechanic.  Years ago he gave me a bunch of new Bronco electric window parts that were at a shop he used to work at.  New gears were in them.  Had it fixed in an hour luckely before the sun went away.

I'll be driving the 93 into work tomorrow, then to the trans shop a block away.  I'll let you know what happens.  Hope it's not a total rebuild!  Thanks for all your time and effort on this problem.  You've been a great help, Brian 

Window gear!.jpg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Brian,

I capice on the info and aspect of 2nd guessing the mechanics.

On the TCIL; and Switch; Our Sponsor has them for under $20.00 if needed.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo, One more, maybe..lol

Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) Troubleshooting in 92-96; "... Several different complaints concerning the overdrive cancel indicator may occur due to a faulty O/D cancel LED. At times the light may simply fail to light, flicker erratically, or glow very dim. Tapping the shift **** lightly may affect the operation of the LED, causing it to work temporarily. These complaints are usually due to a faulty O/D indicator LED. To replace the LED carefully pry the cap off the end of the shifter and pull the LED/switch out. Slide the new switch into position and snap the cap back on. Note: Don’t confuse the above conditions with a steady flashing pattern of the O/D cancel light. A steady rhythmic flashing pattern indicates a malfunction has been detected by the computer.; Part #F58Z-7G550-A..."

http://web.archive.org/web/20020113193545im_/http://www.atcdg.com/TechBulletins/Images/135.gif

Transmission Control Indicator Light & Switch (Overdrive) Replacement; It is easy to replace & under $12.00 from local Ford dealer or a FSB Sponsor; Jeff's; be ready to catch the switch/LED assy when prying it off; it is spring loaded..not much force.

Source: by miesk5

Overdrive Shift Button and Cap

This is the overdrive button on the end of the column shifter, comes with small cap.

Item Number: 37018

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/images/ODshiftbutton.jpg

Unit Price: $10.00

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Overdrive-Shift-Button-and-Cap/productinfo/37018/

E4OD Trans Shift Pigtail 1990-94

Item Number: 38136

Unit Price: $30.00

I need to look for my notes on what fuse blew due to a harness short that affected the OD Cancel Light (it blinked randomly, no Trouble Codes or tranny malfunctions though) under steering column; think it was 6 or 7; but that's in a 96.

OP
OP
BMAD01

BMAD01

Reaction score
Good news!  NO!  GREAT NEWS!!  I left the Bronco at the trans shop overnight so "Dave" (owner) could drive it home then into work today to see the problem first hand.  I got a call about 9:30 this morning from Dave.  He said that the MLP sensor was indeed toast and that he had one at the shop he would install.  He also said that the rear end speed sensor was bad and he would replace that also.  He said that he dropped the pan on the bottom of the trans and could see that this transmission had probably been rebuilt recently and everything was perfect.  He put a new filter in and bottoned it up.  Then he filled it with (forgot the name but good stuff!) synthetic fluid. 

He also said that Ford had never installed drain plugs in the front differential and that I had water in there.  He drilled and tapped, then installed drain plug and filled the front with fresh gear oil.  I drove home tonight and everything was right there.  Good Ist to 2nd to 3rd to OD and downshift normal.  Gonna drive it into work tomorrow and give it the "cold" test.  It'll be sitting at home after tomorrow till the 27th.

It needs front upper and lower ball joints, also radius rod bushings badly.  "Skip" my other mechanic is all booked up until the 27th.  The front wheels look like they are ready to break off.  I don't want to trash out this set of new tires when I can just drive the 88 Bronco to work and not harm the 93.  I'll put on 300mi in a week and a half.  Nothing for the 88. 

I'll also use your link for a new OD switch.  I tried it and it works, the light is just burned out.  I'll also pull the instrument cluster out and replace the burned out bulbs.  I saw the "seatbelt" for the first time tonight.  Won't have to fix that!  HAHA!  Thanks again, Brian

This was a whole lot cheaper than the $1800.00 quote I got!

Trans fix bill!.jpg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Brian,

GREAT!

TY!

btw, the rear axle sensor is described by Ford as Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) 9E73

I prefer Ford Motorcraft sensors; available on Amazon, etc.

It is a single bolt install w/2 wire connector.

For radius arm bushings suggest Energy Suspension

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/products.asp?cat=Ford+Bronco+4WD+1993

"...•These performance polyurethane components help reduce common wheel "roll under". This occurs when stopping abruptly, especially when using performance tires. For both front of rear drive vehicles is equipped.

•Replaces that original, short lived and too soft O.E.M. rubber.

•On front wheel drive vehicles diminishes wheel hop and traction loss during standing start accelerations.

•Better maintains proper alignment under extreme conditions.

•Made of Energy's HYPERFLEX performance polyurethane to add performance and durability.

•One Set Will Cover the Left and Right Side

..."

Installation Instructions;

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/Installation_Instructions/Energy_Suspension/17230.pdf

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke