Need help with bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NYBOWHUNTER

Reaction score
Ok here we go , about 6-7 months ago I bought a 1995 bronco when I bought it the left front bearing was shot and I mean shot it was so bad that the bearing was gillded to the spindle , so I went out and got a used spindle and bearings put it all back together and 2 weeks later the inner bearing was bad again so in the last 7 months I have replaced the bearings and the 2 piece seal 4 times , I am a auto tech of 30+ years and can not figure this one out , does anybody have an idea whats going on here PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo NY,

Dana 44 Spindle & Seal Part Numbers for 95-96; "...Ford has replaced some of the numbers with seals that are not correct. When I did mine last year (96, not sure how close to yours), the parts guy new his stuff and said when they crossed some numbers they didn't get it right. I went to five dealers and each had the same problem. Don't go to Pep Boys and get the seals they sell. Even though they are Chicago Rawhide, same as Napa re-label, they are not the better ones. The parts they have are a very cheap version, which may work, but I wouldn't trust. Napa had to order in the 25009, but they got it in a day. As far as seal 3, the one I got new from Ford was one piece, but the one that came out broke into the three pieces. If you get the Ford one, you will see how easy it is to snap apart. Seal 2 is actually a smaller version of seal 6, but the one Ford parts guy said that they don't have a replacement. Fortunately Napa has one. They have one part D3TZ3C132A that they try to sell. It is a metal slinger that could be pressed in place of seal 2, but it has no sealing properties, just a stamped part that looks like a washer with a lip where it slides over the axle. Item 2 is Ford F3TZ1S175BBA Item 3 is FOrd F3TZ1SZ175AA

Item 6 is NAPA NOS25009

Item 7 is Napa NOS23276 http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Wheel-Seal-Front-Wheel/_/R-NOS23276_0068785454 ..."

Source: by Tony R (TonyR) at http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113629&highlight=front+spindle+seal

Also,

96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL) by dieseldave

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stjleft.htm

How was the bearing grease? Smoky? etc.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Also, check the installation procedure, especially the proper way to tighten the spindle nut. this should be done using a torque wrench.  If you don't tighten to the specified foot pound requirement you will probably destroy the bearing and possibly more.  Basically, you need to tighten the inner nut to 50fp while wiggling the wheel in and out, (just to make sure the bearings are seating properly), and then just barley backing off.  Then put the locking nut on till snug and backing off to allow the *** to drop into the closes slot.  If you over tighten you will destroy the bearing while driving and if you do not tighten enough the slop will **** it.

good luck,

:)>-

Look up the procedure, just in case pulling this off the top of my head is inaccurate.  miesk5 probably has a link to the procedure 

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
OP
N

NYBOWHUNTER

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys, I have have followed all the procedures on putting it together, not sure if I said so but I'm a master tech of over 30 years and no I don't know everything nobody does lol, I have bought bearings from the cheapest to the best Ford makes, the only thing left is to swap out the left front tire it's the only thing I haven't done

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo NY,

I saw that you have 30 yrs as a Master Tech and that is good to have you here!

Some thoughts from the Tom McCahill days @ Popular Mechanics

Starting with your idea first;

Out-of- Round tire?

Tire balanced?

Are the tires/wheels over-sized, say 33" or larger tires?

Is wheel offset/back space correct?

bad belt in the tire?

Is it Lifted?

Tire - Lift Guide, Bronco & many makes; w/Wheel Diameter, Width & Offset

Source: by Skyjacker®

http://skyjacker.com/images/files/365_tireandwheelcha.pdf

alignment ok?

high water driving?

Wheels and Tires

Inspection and Verification

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj44010.htm#extract_753

potholes or uneven road surface? we have the Grand Canyon of all potholes due to being below sea level

is the spindle the same as the other side?

spindles8396.jpg

"Spindle Differences 80-96

In addition to the ~'92 loss of a spindle stud (leaving 5) and the addition of 2 notches in the spindle ****** (Bronco only) for the 4WABS sensor used on '93-96 Broncos only, the spindle was also redesigned in ~'95 to match the revised 2-piece inner wheel seal. F150 spindle flanges were never notched or drilled for the 4WABS sensor, but are otherwise identical to the corresponding Bronco's..."

by Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke