Muffler Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pj31704

Reaction score
I am currently looking into replacing my mufflers. The piping is all new, however there is one new muffler and one old. The brand that is on the truck is Xlerator Turbo Mufflers, which I do not know much about. I have always had Flowmaster American Thunder Series put on my trucks. I know a few who have the Cherry Bomb Glasspacks, which have a good sound. Just wondering which brands others prefer, I am looking for something with a very deep rumble. 

Also if anyone knows, is there any particular muffler I would need to get? Most of the websites do not let you search back to 1973. Would I be able to install Flowmaster of Cherry Bombs on the Bronco with out causing any issues?

Does anyone know how Xlerator Turbo Mufflers compare to the Flowmaster?

Thanks

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
There should be many opinions on this.

Things to consider;

1) Other than one stock tailpipe & muffler, all installs will be custom.

2) there's not a lotta room under there.

3) Any noise producing muffler will rumble up thru the floorboards. (this can be irritating at times)

4) Heat can be an issue.

5) Some mufflers rob power due to too much or too little back pressure.

6) Does your rig have headers..?

Having said that, I have headers & a dual pipe/muffler system that runs parallel along the pass. side frame.

The mufflers are  30" glasspacs, side by side, and the dual tips exit behind the pass. rear wheel.

This system was on the rig when I bought it  "eons" ago.

It has an amazing sound yet no noise in the cab.

If I do anything, it will be to cut out the old mufflers & replace with the exact same thing.

(with a V/8, obviously best to run a pipe & muffler along the driver & pass. frame rail.)

"Would I be able to install ( most any brand of glasspacs) on the Bronco with out causing any issues?"

Glasspacs may be the closest thing to stock muffler backpressure so I would say "yes".

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, currently I have the stock manifolds. The exhaust was new when I got the truck, it has dual pipe and muffler system with the pipes following the driver and passenger frame rail. I am just not happy with the current mufflers, I am thinking the glasspacks would be a good pick.

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
So I purchased two 30" MagnaFlow Glasspacks for the truck. I am currently trying to figure out the best placement for these and if I'd like to keep the dual pipes out the back of the truck, or just dump after the muffler. I've noticed I may have an issue with my current pipes lining up correctly, any advice on the best way to line the pipes up?

Current exhaust has inlet pipe lower than the outlet pipe, and I unfortunately have no experience welding and no pipe benders. I'm really hoping this can be done by me, instead of bringing it anywhere. Thanks for any help.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi PJ..,

Most auto parts stores have various pipe adaptors, various sizes & shapes. Yours would likely be an "S" shape.

However, DO stop in to a "mom-n-pop" exhaust/muffler shop & get their advice.

Dumping after the muffler usually causes rumble/vibration in the cab.

Do ask the price for them to R&R with your new mufflers. You may be pleasently surprised as to how

reasonable their price may be.., beings your pipes are basically new.

And.., come back & let us know what they say & what you went with...!! >:D< <'>

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I called a small shop I've used in the past, Katy Exhaust Pros. They are going to weld on new exhaust for me, both Glasspacks for $100.

This is worth the money considering my pipes were not lined up correctly and was using the clamps to connect the pieces. It's a better end product than what I could have done. Hoping to drop it off tomorrow and hear what she sounds like when they're all done! I will try to post a pic of finished work, and a video of the sound difference if possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke