HELP! Looking at three Broncos, not sure which one, if any

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4jcrew204

Okay, I am really new to this forum, but I joined knowing that I wanted a full size bronco.  I have looked at three in the area and given their condition, I am not sure which to have my mechanic look at, if any.

$3800 - 1995 Eddie Bauer Ford Bronco, 5.8L engine, 240k miles, 6 inch lift, 35's.  New rear end and an extra rear end being thrown in because it was purchased before he knew it had a new rear end.  No wheel well rust, minor tail gate rust.  New Master Cylinder.  Has been tagged until 2016 (in Delaware you can tag 2 years at a time).  Engine light comes on for 5 minutes under cold start.  A/C pump works, but not charged.  Has broken windshield.  Has front and rear hitch assemblies. Rear Window motor runs from from switch only.

$2500 - 1995 Eddie Bauer Ford Bronco, 5.0L Engine, 190k miles, no lift.  New Transmission.  Standard wheel well and tail gate rust.  Tags expire in 2 weeks.  All galss intact with some body dings.  Rear Window motor works from key only. A/C pump works, not charged.

$2000 - 1996 Ford Bronco, 5.0L Engine, 150k miles, 4 inch lift, 33's.  Owner said it needs all ball joints replaced and would have cost him $2800 to do it.  Typical wheel well rust, body in good shape.  A/C blows ice cold. Not currently tagged.

Not sure if I am being worried about the right things. All three have the high miles, but these are V-8's they run for ever or close to it and I have priced some out, they are not that expensive, especially on a $2-3k purchase.  My concern is getting any to where they can be tagged.  The whole idea for wanting the Bronco is so I could use it for inclement weather (snow) to get to work and to go hunting locally in Delaware.  Not to mention that ever since I rode in my Uncles 1978 bronco when I was 12, I knew I wanted one.  Now at 48, I am just getting around to it, but I would appreciate your experienced guidance.

Should I have my mechanic look at any of these or should I hold out for something and what are some characteristics of what that something should look like.

Big thanks

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo 4j,

We have a 96, bought it new in May 96 and basically, we "over-maintain" it...meaning 3k mile oil/filter changes & ***** all filters changed, etc.. using Ford's severe duty schedule; see a Link at end of reply

One of the most reliable daily drivers and beach run/light off road vehicles we've have ever had (incl the ex 78).

Still, we had minor problems that we addressed quickly.

Besides the usual visual, driveability and leak checks, look for:

RUST:

oil pan, our's formed spots @ 62k miles - sand it down and prime/paint it w/ Rustoleum high temp. paint

tailgate drains for clogs/rust; check weather seals, esp the outer ws on glass

radiator core support rust where it bolts to the frame

rain gutters, bottom of B-pillars & A pillars

gas tank

leaf spring shackles

body mounts and frame

floor pan esp around rear seat belt mount

inner rear fender lips, bottom of B pillars and bottom of tailgate (fender lips are rusting due to Ford's flawed spot weld process on the inner (tub) and 1/4 panel that lets moisture & debris in the seam) - A Bronco may need extensive & $$$ patch or full panel replacements...

- radiator plastic side seam leaks, esp. during engine cool-down period/overnight - ours leaked @ 50k miles & again just recently - look for leaks after engine has cooled down, esp overnight

- look for leaks around pan from (front) Pump seal as well as engine rear main/timing chain cover seals, etc.

- auto tranny - E4OD had a lot of improvements made by 96 so look for good shifts and see the maintenance records; fluids/filter should have been changed every 30k miles and less if used for towing. AOD Specific Transmission Upgrades http://www.baumannengineering.com/aodsupgr.htm    C-6 three-speed automatic transmission upgrades @ http://www.becontrols.com/techguide_5.htm

-- radius arm bushing deterioration (I coated them w/pure silicone, from day 1) but replaced at 80k miles w/Daystar polyurethane bushings

- Programmable Speedometer Odometer Module (PSOM in 92-96), make sure it works; look for a waver in the needle at highway speeds; most get yard units for DIY or troubleshoot for other issues.

- look for some maint records or contact a dealer to see what maint was done to it a Ford dealership in the past (need VIN)

or on-line dealer service record summaries (Ford is adding entries now), etc. at Ford myford.fordvehicles.com (need VIN) & must register if you haven't already for your other Fords.

If no maint records are avail; check and replace if needed all filters and fluids. Esp if it is an Auto tranny; fluid level; when at norm op temp; after running thru all gears & reverse; no burnt toast or whitish (water) deposits on dip stick.

- cracked exhaust manifold/Y, etc.

- roof/gutter area cracks

- emissions air check valve & cat. converter (AIR) tubes tend to rust early; as does the AIR tube; buy locally or from pciinc.com

- transfer case operation - electric push button motor/connector is a prob. area; usually a broken travel stop or the motor connector is fouled, etc.

do a SELF TEST -for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) by my pal BroncoJoe at http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-co...mode__threaded

Remember to have engine @ Normal Operating Temperature before doing the do the KOEO = Key On Engine Off portion first & KEY ON ENGINE RUNNING (KOER) portion

The self-test plugs were mounted on the passenger side fender on 85-86 EFI trucks; miesk5 NOTE, Self-Test Output (STO) is the Pin in the Lt gray Connector and Signal Return Ground (SIGRET) is Pin E in black Connector; The engine temperature must be greater than 50F (10C) to pass the KOEO Self-Test and greater than 180F (82C) to pass the KOER Self-Test. Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse. then; turn off all accesories/lights, etc. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic) or Neutral (manual), release clutch. Do Key On Engine Off (KOEO) portion first. For Key On Engine Running (KOER) portion, the engine has to be @ normal operating temp.

Also the Check Engine Light (CEL) comes on when the electronic engine control system is not working properly. The check engine warning indicator comes on briefly when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON, and should turn off when the engine starts. If the check engine warning indicator does not come on when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON or if it comes on while the vehicle is moving, the system is malfunctioning

If the CEL does not light up at all when starting it; then suspect that bulb is burnt-out or loose, socket was damaged by PO or shop, etc. or someone removed it, which does happen, unfortunately.

RABS Overview; miesk5 NOTE: "1987 was the year the rear anti-lock brakes (RABS) were standardized on Broncos; "...Rear-wheel ABS is another type of ABS available on some light trucks. It works in a similar fashion to four-wheel ABS, but monitors and operates only the rear wheels, especially important with light trucks, which often carry heavy loads supported primarily by the rear suspension and wheels..."

RABS Self Test; except 93-96; "...The 90 service manual gives a routine to pull RABS codes. When the light comes on, don't turn the truck off before reading the codes. Put it in park, chock both front & rear of the wheels, note whether the red brake light is lit also, then momentarily ground the test connector. The test connector comes out of a large loom under the dash, coming through the firewall, near the parking brake. On mine there are 2 similar connectors in that area, the correct one has only 1 black wire with an orange tracer running to it, & was hidden on top of the loom. The correct one is hanging down on the bottom right of the pic below. After you've grounded & ungrounded the wire, the yellow abs light starts to flash. Count the flashes. It said to not count the 1st series, because it may start in the middle. The last flash of the series is a long flash. Then it repeats over & over, until you turn the key off. Count all of the short flashes & the long one together (So 4 short & 1 long is code #5). If I remember right, it should be a number between 2 & 15 or so. If you follow Steve83's sig link, & then go to his Brakes & Hubs album, he has the code definitions for RABS.." READ MUCH MORE; miesk5 Note, Steve83 wrote, The RABS module won't ***** up the speedo or trans the way the 4WABS module can, and even if it goes bad, simply unplugging it removes it from the Gy/Bk circuit.

Source: by ElKabong (Ken, El Kabong) at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165569

The 4-wheel anti-lock brake system in 93-96 is self monitoring. When the ignition switch is placed in the RUN position, the anti-lock brake electronic control module will perform a preliminary self check on the anti-lock electrical system indicated by a momentary illumination of the amber ABS warning light in the instrument cluster. During vehicle operation, including normal and anti-lock braking, the anti-lock brake electronic control module monitors all electrical anti-lock functions and some hydraulic operations. In most malfunctions of the anti-lock brake system, the amber ABS warning light will be illuminated. However, most malfunctions are recorded as a coded number in the anti-lock brake electronic control module memory and assist in pinpointing the component needing service.

Suggest you buy the official FORD Bronco Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual - Powertrain Controls and Emission Diagnosis (EVTM/PCED) Manual DVD for Pin-Point Tests; it is the BEST under $15.00 or so item you can get to service and repair your Bronco! Avail on e-bay.

The 96 Owner's Manual is avail @ http://hillerford.com/resource_libra...d/96bronco.pdf

A lot (exc for OBD II info) is good for 92-95; exc that RABS (87-92) & 4WABS (93-96); driver's side air bag, side door guard beams and CFC-free air conditioning in 94-96, etc.

A mechanic will help determine overall condition, esp a high-mileage engine/trans and transfer case.

Most credit unions use NADA to appraise value; deduct $ for required repairs.

http://www.nadaguides.com/

GL!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi 4j..,

IMHO it wouldn't hurt to have any or all looked at.  A compression test & vacuum test would be a deal

breaker if comes out bad. (1 or all 3) (unless you don't mind buying a new eng. or rebuild.)

Actually the whole drivetrain should be pretty sound.

Electrical can be a nightmare.., especially if its been messed with.

Brakes need to be functioning or at least rebuildable.

The cosmetic stuff isn't a deal breaker & can be dealt with  when time permits.

Good luck..!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

4jcrew204

Thanks so much for the advice. I will have both the '95's loked at next week.  It's 40 bucks for each check, but it;s worth it.

Really appreciate the help.

Seabronc

Reaction score
On the surface of the information, I'd lean toward one of the 95's.  That check engine light on when cold start is probably just a sensor out of range until it warms up.

Good luck and welcome to the Zone  :D/

:)>-

OP
OP

4jcrew204

Thanks SC.  The more I look back on what I am writing, the more I lean to the '95 for $2500.  He is a Ford Mechanic and has been completely upfront with me about this vehicle. I plan on having it looked at next Wednesday by my mechanic.

And thanks to TG as well. I will print this off and give it to my mechanic.  He works on all american models, but I think this list will help him.

4J

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke