Installing Ring and Pinion Gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brando32

Reaction score
I haven't purchased anything yet, but I want to purchase some 4.11 gears. I have a Dana 44 and Ford 9". But I was wondering Is it just the Ring and Pinion Gear or is there an install kit?

And how hard is it to change, does it require quite a bit of work?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Not really hard.., more like technical, proper proceedure & order. (prob. a 3-4 banana job)

Ea. axle could take a day or two. (Go to local library to bone up)

Especially the front.., you have to remove everything right down to the knuckle. The bug-a-boo is,

you have to inspect every single part for ware so as not to have to go back in again for another

repair.  i.e. bearings, knuckle ball joints, spindles, hubs, axles & axle u-joints, seals, etc.

There's a few levels of differential service kits.., depending on whats worn in there.

Kits have shims, white gear teeth coating, etc. so as to get the proper gear to gear contact.

(This prevents howling)

The rear is a bit easier..., but several proper proceedures as well.

Stop at your local "Driveline Shop" & ask for some tips..!!

You may decide to let them do it.

Seabronc

Reaction score
That is one job I personally would elect to have a shop do.  My reason is that if I don't get it right, I would have to take it in anyway.  Plus, they should have a warranty on their work and my only warranty is do it over or have it done right in the first place.  Not that I don't think I could do it, I just would rather not expose myself to to the extra expense.  Not a job I think I would want to skimp on.

If you do elect to Do-it-Yourself, make sure the truck is properly supported while off the wheels,  [-X   no cinder blocks, use proper jacks and jack stands.  Make sure it is on level ground, not an incline and still use chocks on any wheels that are on the ground to prevent rolling.  I always use heavy duty jack stands along with wood blocking to support a vehicle that is off the wheels.  Don't forget your wife/girlfriend isn't going to be able to pick that truck off you.  If she can, man you got yourself a, "Wilderness Woman" :-B

Whatever you decide.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

Brando32

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, my uncle has a hoist to put it up. So I think he might be able to do it, if not, i'll probably hold off for now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom