I thought I had all the parts for the single fuel pump system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Ogden

Reaction score
The gas tank from a 90 I picked up for the pump leaks so today I removed the pump and I think the pump is too big to fit in my 88 tank so I have a decision to make,my bronco is now 2wd so I really do not need the 30 plus gallon tank so I am thinking about buying a new 19 gallon rear tank for a truck that comes with the pump and brackets. I noticed on the 90 pump there is 4 wires wheree the 88 is three but I think the extra wire is a tank to body/frame ground so no big deal and will have to get the plug off a truck in the junkyard,anybody ever get rid of the 30 gallon tank and repolace it with a 19 gallon truck tank and did it fit without hacking.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Jeff,

Here is some info I have

"...Pre 90's have - 2" tank hole for a low pressure in-tank pump (feeds the high pressure pump) plus a high pressure frame rail pump;

Post 90- 3-5/8" tank hole for a single high pressure in-tank pump, no other pumps in the system..."
Source: by Dustin S

Installation Info, 19 gallon Polyethylene in a 78
Source: by 78broncoboy

"...

alright guys, i dont know if yall remember, but the 33 gallon tank hangs down real far , especially on stock suspension componets. i know, i know, get a lift, well, thats coming along shortly.

but to the point, i put a 19 gallon poly truck tank in my bronco, it wasnt real hard to do, pretty easy, in fact, if you have the right tools. basically you just cut out the rear most crossmember, shave off probally 3/8 to a half inch of steel on each lower frame rail edge, fab up a new rear most crossmember to accomodate straps, i just used a piece of U-channel that you can get from Home Depot, theres no good steel or scrap yards near the house. bolt that up, put the tank in.

i had to notch a good size piece of the upper frame rail for the filler neck hose to fit, but i reinforced the hole with a piece of 1/4 inch steel flat bar. go to NAPA, they have new fairly flexible filler neck hose for around 17 bucks a foot, part number NAPA #1055.

get that, cut it to fit, i just used my old vent hose, it wasnt that bad. put the tank up there, make sure it will fit. i used from fairly heavy guage galvanized steel straps that my dad found, but you could use any kind of thicker guage hanging strap for the bottom straps. the way the frame got cut, upper straps arent really neccesasy, but im gonna put them in anyway.

it could be a 2 hour job if someone had the right tools, and knew how to use them. i always bend and break saw-zall blades, so it took me longer, plus some of the drill bits i used sucks, which took even more time. but if you had a welder, for the fabbed up crossmember, and a good saw-zall, it wouldnt take long at all. a drill and bolts works fine, but takes slightly longer.

if you have ever popped a hole in a tank, and want something smaller, but cant find a 25 gallon sending unit like me, use the 19 gallon truck tank. it works fine, just be sure to have a couple jerry cans around..."

OP
OP
J

Jeff Ogden

Reaction score
I ended up buying a new tank and got it togather but shortly after the sending unit from the used tank quit working so I ended up buying another new tank that had a new sending unit and pump,I was trying to buy that tank first but never could get ahold of the seller so now I have a extra tank I will probably never use. They had that tank on craigs list for over a year andI. not getting any interest on my extra tank,the new pump made it run much better and now I have hooked the regulator back up.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Jeff, Good!

btw, I added "88 Bronco Eddie Bauer, AOD" to your Signature so as others can offer accurate advice in future discussions. If incorrect please change it and try to add other pertinent info such as engine size, transfer case type, locking hub types and any major mods such as body or suspension lift.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke