1989 Ford Bronco wont go past 60 mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warhawkcustoms

Reaction score
Hello new here,

But I'll get right to the question. I have an 89 ford bronco full size with the 5.8 efi its 4x4 and has the c6 automatic transmission. I recently got it running bad fuel pump and for but now on a test drive it has no power rpms climb, but it takes forever for the bronco to get to 60 mph and that's all it will go. The rear antilock light is on and my tempature gauge is erratic sometimes. So what reason could I have for this?

OP
OP
W

warhawkcustoms

Reaction score
Codes are KOEO.

93-coast clutch solenoid failure E4OD.

53-TPS circuit above max 4.5 volts.

95-Fuel pump secondary circuit failure.

41-Hego sensor indicates lean right side.

29-Insufficient input from speen sensor.

31-PEF or EVP circuit below min .24 volt.

KOER

44-Thermactor air injection inop right side

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo W,

WELCOME!

I will post for now in case I accidentally lose all I have entered in past hour or so.

Can you confirm E4OD please?

Pan Identification
Source: by Kenneth at Bad Shoe Productions  http://badshoeproductions.com/trans.html

E4OD have 20 pan bolts; P-R-N-D-2-1 shifter pattern

C6 have 17 pan bolts

AOD have 14 pan bolts, see diagram & pic; P-R-N-(D)-D-1 shifter pattern, note, OD is actually a (D)

see this info & shift indicator pics at http://broncozone.com/topic/22732-1990-bronco-351/?&gopid=118561&do=findComment&comment=118561

for now here is some code info;

DTC 53 (KOEO) TP sensor out of range TP sensor is stuck/sticking or just plain bad 

Throttle Position Sensor Testing, Replacement and Adjustment by Seattle FSB

----------

DTC 95 Fuel pump secondary circuit failure. The EEC senses infinite resistance to ground from the fuel pump on the Fuel Pump Monitor circuit.. bad ground or always on. Possible bad fuel pump ground or open between fuel pump and pin 8 at PCM

see PIN 8 ino below

EEC IV Connector Pin Diagram
by Fireguy50 (Ryan M) at http://web.archive.org/web/20131229163930/http://oldfuelinjection.com/images/eec04.gif

EEC Connector Pin Outs LEGEND, Bronco & Ford Truck & Van: 4.9, 460, 5.0, 5.8; by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://web.archive.org/web/20131029020805/http://oldfuelinjection.com/truckpinouts.html
look @ Year 87-95 

Truck Van  Bronco

[SIZE=10pt]Speed Density[/SIZE]

PIN 8 FPM 89-95

Wiring Diagram in an 89 from EVTM (PARTIAL)
Source: by Ford via SeattleFSB  http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/851787

Ground G801 is @ LH inner fender behind headlights  by Seabronc

Wiring Diagram in an 89 5.0, 5.8 & 7.5 (partial)
Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

Test & Diagram at the Diagnostic Link Connector in 84-95; "...Connect FP Relay to any ground to force the fuel pump(s) on when the key is in RUN..." MIESK5 NOTE; from Ford EVTM; The Control Module (PCM) runs the pump{s} for one second when it receives an ignition- on signal. It also runs the pumps as long as it receives a PIP signal from the Hall-effect devices, it continues pump operation even after the key is released from START. If the PIP signals fall below 120RPM, the control module cuts off the signal to the fuel pump relay or the integrated relay control module. The pump will also run when the terminals of the fuel pump test connector are jumped. the Control module signals the pump when it receives a CRANK signal, and when the Control module gets PIP signals that the engine is running. the pump does not run if the PIP indicates the engine is not running even with ignition ON {except for that first one second}.
Source: by Steve  http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/245234

======

29 Insufficient input from the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).
DTC 27, 29, 452, P0502, P0503, PO716, PO718; Insufficient input from VSS.; "...A more difficult problem to identify is a VSS that works, but sends out the wrong signal for a given vehicle speed. In some cases, a wrong reading from the VSS may still cause a code to be set. For example, if the VSS signal tells the computer the vehicle is traveling 60 miles an hour, but the throttle position sensor and MAP sensor tell the computer that the engine is idling, the computer will be confused. And a confused computer should set any of the following codes: Ford 27, 29, 452. On a vehicle that uses the VSS as a safety device, a defective sensor may send out a wrong "too fast" signal, shutting down fuel flow at the wrong time. Although this doesn’t happen often, it can be a difficult problem to identify. The customer will probably describe it as a random or intermittent sudden loss of power and poor performance, onlyto have the engine resume normal operation. Routine diagnostic checks of the engine in the shop won’t show any problem because there isn’t a problem with the engine or the ECM..." read more
Source: by wellsmfgcorp.com  http://www.wellsmfgcorp.com/pdf/Counterpoint4_2.pdf

Operational Description, pic & Parameters; this describes pre-92 years where VSS is mounted in transfer case tail housing
Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://web.archive.org/web/20101201014106/http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=33

Location pics in a 90 - transfer case tail housing
Source: by BlueBeast (The Beast), JP N) at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/308/27536

Wiring Diagram in an 89 5.0, 5.8 & 7.5 (partial)
Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

also shares G801

VSS or RABS?; by Bronco1 - "Depending on the year; 1992 + - It's called a RABS sensor, or a DSS (diff speed sensor), or rear axle sensor. At work (Ford dealership, we ask for a rear diff speed sensor. 1991 & older - If we want the one on the transmission or transfer case, we ask for the vehicle speed sensor at the trans or tranfer case." by MustangGT221 - "On the 92-96s there's no "VSS" in the transfer case or tranny, they did away with that cable operated stuff, and used the rear axle's ABS sensor to double as the "VSS" for 92-96. If you look in my 95 dealership manual, they list a vehicle speed sensor, when you look at what the book says it is, they say it's that ABS sensor in the rear diff, so according to that, 92-96's DO have a VSS, it's just simply the rear ABS sensor which now (on 92-96s) doubles as a speed sensor."
Source: by Bronco1 & MustangGT221

RABS Self Test & Diagnosis Codes; "...The possible flashout codes are listed and explained in the Flash Codes Chart. Note that Codes 1 and 16 are not used. Flashout Codes Whenever the yellow REAR ABS light comes on during normal operation, a flashout code may be obtained to aid in problem diagnosis. If the vehicle is shut off before the code is read from a RABS-I module, the code will be lost. In some cases, the code may reappear when the vehicle is restarted. In other cases, the vehicle may have to be driven to reproduce the problem and, if the problem was associated with an intermittent condition, it may be difficult to reproduce. Therefore, whenever possible, it is recommended that the code be read before the vehicle is shut off. RABS II modules have been designed with Keep Alive Memory to preserve stored codes during key-off, and are to be used to service all prior year RABS I systems, except for 1987 and 1988 Bronco II vehicles. WARNING: PLACE BLOCKS BEHIND THE REAR WHEELS AND IN FRONT OF THE FRONT WHEELS TO PREVENT THE VEHICLE FROM MOVING WHILE THE FLASHOUT CODE IS BEING TAKEN. NOTE: If the red BRAKE light is also on, due to a grounding of the fluid level circuit (perhaps low brake fluid), no flashout code will be flashed and the REAR ABS light will remain on steadily. NOTE: If there is more than one system fault only the first recognized flashout code may be obtained. Obtaining the Flashout Code A flashout code may be obtained only when the yellow REAR ABS light is on. No code will be flashed if the system is OK. There are certain faults (those associated with the fluid level switch or loss of power to the module) that will cause the system to be deactivated and the REAR ABS light to be illuminated, but will not provide a diagnostic flashout code. Before obtaining the flashout code, drive the vehicle to a level area, and place the shift lever in PARK for automatic transmissions and NEUTRAL for manual transmissions. Notice whether the red BRAKE light is on or not (for future reference) and then apply the parking brake. If a RABS(-1) module is installed, keep the ignition key in the ON position so that the code will not be lost. RABS II modules have been designed with Keep Alive Memory to preserve stored codes during key-off, and are to be used to service all prior year RABS I systems, except for 1987 and 1988 Bronco II vehicles. WARNING: PLACE BLOCKS BEHIND THE REAR WHEELS AND IN FRONT OF THE FRONT WHEELS TO PREVENT THE VEHICLE FROM MOVING WHILE THE FLASHOUT CODE IS BEING TAKEN. To obtain the flashout code, locate the RABS diagnostic connector (with the Bk/Or wire), and attach a jumper wire to it. Momentarily ground it to the chassis. When the ground is made and then broken, the REAR ABS light should begin to flash. NOTE: If the red BRAKE light was on (as noticed before the parking brake was applied), the problem may be with the low fluid level circuit and, in this case, no flashout code will be flashed and the light will remain on steadily. The code consists of a number of short flashes and ends with a long flash. Count the short flashes and include the following long flash in the count to obtain the code number. For example, three short flashes followed by one long flash indicates Flashout Code Four. The code will continue to repeat itself until the key is turned off. It is recommended that the code be verified by reading it several times. In addition, the first code flashed may be too short because it may have been started in the middle. It should be ignored..."
Source: by Steve http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/280857

=================

41 Hego sensor indicates lean right side

DTC 41, 42, 91, 92, 136, 137,139, 144, 171, 172, 175, 176, 177 & some Possible Causes for Rich & Lean HEGO; "...The engine temperature must be greater than 50°F (10°C) to pass the KOEO Self-Test and greater than 180°F (82°C) to pass the KOER Self-Test. To accomplish this, the engine should be at normal operating temperature.."
Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50)

Testing by SigEpBlue at http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141552

See Seabronc's wiring diagram at http://broncozone.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=10093

http://broncozone.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=10093

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

DTC 44

see http://broncozone.com/topic/23994-90-58l-getting-continuous-code-33-and-running-code-44/

=======

DTC 31 "... This code could be caused by several different factors. If the pintle position sensor (Ford calls it the EVP sensor) is shorted or open, you could have a code set. If the EGR valve becomes carboned up and does not seat fully, the EVP sensor gives a high reading and a code is set. If the diaphragm of the EGR valve is bad, then it, too, is flagged..."
--egr-connector.jpg

EVP pic in an 88 5.8; Miesk5 Note EVP is light gray & attached to the top of the EGR Valve
Source: by Travis L

EGR Valve Position sensor (EVP)
This sensor mounted to the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve (EGR) monitors its position. The computer delivers less fuel and more spark timing when the EGR is open. Lowering fuel millage and tail pipe emissions.

read more by Ryan M at http://web.archive.org/web/20120121075714/http://www.oldfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=35

Excerpts; "...

Possible causes:
evp.gif•Damaged EVP sensor
•Corroded or dirty connector
•Damaged EGR valve
•Faulty Vacuum system
•Broken wire in harness
•Grounded harness
•Damaged Computer (aka PCM, EEC)

EGR OPENING VOLTAGE​
LT GRAY SENSOR​
BLACK SENSOR​
0%​
0.50 volts​
0%​
0.90 volts​
10%​
0.75 volts​
10%​
1.25 volts​
20%​
1.10 volts​
20%​
1.65 volts​
30%​
1.45 volts​
30%​
1.95 volts​
40%​
1.80 volts​
40%​
2.30 volts​
50%​
2.15 volts​
50%​
2.65 volts​
60%​
2.50 volts​
60%​
3.00 volts​
70%​
2.85 volts​
70%​
3.35 volts​
80%​
3.20 volts​
80%​
3.70 volts​
90%​
3.55 volts​
90%​
4.05 volts​
100%​
3.90 volts​
100%​
4.40 volts​

NOTE: Allow +/- .2 volts for all specifications
Ford EGR valves will open 100% at 8 inHg of vacuum. Therefore, 50% opening will be obtained by creating 4 inHg, etc.

---

EGR Valve Position (EVP) Sensor Operation & Testing, Ford
Source: by tomco

http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt19.pdf

TOMCO uses R in test; such as "...While watching the ohmmeter, gradually and steadily apply vacuum to the EGR valve (not exceeding 10 PSI). The ohmmeter should show a steady decrease in the OHM reading. If the ohmmeter needle has any sharp movements or shows a slight increase while applying the vacuum, the sensor is bad. There is also a range that the OHM readings should fall between. In some cases this ranges from no higher than 5,500 OHMs, to no less than 100 OHMs. Check with your service manual for the exact specifications for your vehicle..."

IGNORE all PFE/Or DPFE and look @ EVP info
you'll need a hand op. vac. pump and DVOM; also some long thin straight pins to backprobe harness connectors.
Ck for Vacuum Leaks "....The vacuum hose hose should be examined carefully. We have seen them with pinhole leaks. This causes the exhaust pressure to bleed off giving an inaccurate reading to the EVP sensor. They can also deteriorate because of the corrosive exhaust gases they carry. This weakens the rubber and may cause porosity or cracks. A quick check is to hook a vacuum pump to one side and plug the other side to see if it can hold vacuum..."

Last edited by a moderator:

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Check your grounds. Especially battery to body.  With all those codes I'm thinking maybe bad grounding is giving a whole gaggle of sensors fits, as well as causing other components to "search for ground" through circuits it would otherwise not flow.

Good Luck

OP
OP
W

warhawkcustoms

Reaction score
thank you all for the information. im in the process now of verifying my transmission and checking grounds i found that my main battery ground cable that attaches to the frame and then the block is all sorts of falling apart. so for now i ran another ground to a bolt on the headers just as a temporary fix. i have replaced my spark plugs and injectors which did make a slight defference but not much. I have checked codes again just to see if anything has changed and i only get for codes now. 29,34,42,77 so i am now going to do the egr valve test just waiting for payday to get a vacuum pump and a few other tools. i will keep you all posted thanks again for all the ideas and info.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
thank you all for the information. im in the process now of verifying my transmission and checking grounds i found that my main battery ground cable that attaches to the frame and then the block is all sorts of falling apart. so for now i ran another ground to a bolt on the headers just as a temporary fix. i have replaced my spark plugs and injectors which did make a slight defference but not much. I have checked codes again just to see if anything has changed and i only get for codes now. 29,34,42,77 so i am now going to do the egr valve test just waiting for payday to get a vacuum pump and a few other tools. i will keep you all posted thanks again for all the ideas and info.
yo!

You can "borrow' a hand-held vacuum pump w/meter attached At local parts stores w/ a fully refundable deposit.

DTC 34 - EGR voltage above closed limit - Failed sensor, carbon between EGR pintle valve and seat holding the valve off its seat. Remove the EGR valve and clean it with carbon remover. Prior to re-installing see if you can blow air through the ****** side of the EGR by mouth. the egr is not closing properly which can cause detonation. remove the egr and clean off any carbon built up on it with carb cleaner and a brush if necessary.

Source: by miesk5 at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

DTC 42 O2 sensor voltage was stuck high for too long. (Rich).; "...42 O2 sensor voltage was stuck high for too long. (Rich).

Bad O2, or it's connector/wiring bad MAP sensor,

Bad fuel pressure regulator, pull vac hose off, any gas in it or gas aroma means it's bad

Leaking injectors,

restriction in fuel return line,

or exhaust leak or clogged exhaust, lowering vacuum

DTC 41, 42, 85 OR THREE DIGIT CODES 171, 172, 173, 179, 181, 182, 183 & 565 are received , Check for proper HEGO Ground; in Catalytic Converter Diagnosis TSB 91-12-11 for 86-91 Bronco, F Series, & Econoline

by FordISSUE: Lack of power or a no start condition may be diagnosed as an exhaust restriction caused by a plugged catalytic converter. A plugged catalytic converter (internal deterioration) is usually caused by abnormal engine operation.

ACTION: Diagnose the catalytic converter to confirm internal failure. Refer to the Catalyst and Exhaust System Diagnostic Section, in the Engine/Emissions Diagnostic Shop Manual and the following procedures for service details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Lack of proper HEGO operation may cause, or be the result of a rich or lean fuel condition, which could cause additional heat in the catalyst. Perform self test KOEO and KOER, service any codes.

NOTE: IF TWO DIGIT CODES 41, 42, 85 OR THREE DIGIT CODES 171, 172, 173, 179, 181, 182, 183 AND 565 ARE RECIEVED, CHECK FOR PROPER HEGO GROUND.

If the HEGO ground is good, the following areas may be at fault:

* Ignition Coil

* Distributor Cap

* Distributor Rotor

* Fouled Spark Plug

* Spark Plug Wires

* Air Filter

* Stuck Open Injector

* Fuel Contamination Engine OIL

* Manifold Leaks Intake/Exhaust

* Fuel Pressure

* Poor Power Ground

* Engine Not At Normal Operating Temperature

* HEGO Sensor

2. Spark timing that is ******** from specification may increase exhaust gas temperature and shorten catalyst life. Refer to the following procedure for service details.

a. Check spark timing. Check base timing with spout disconnected. Set base timing to the specification on the vehicle emission decal.

b. Check computed timing with spout connected.

NOTE: COMPUTED TIMING IS EQUAL TO BASE TIMING PLUS 20° BTDC ± 3°.

3. Misfiring spark plugs may cause an unburned fuel air mixture to pass through the catalyst, which could cause higher than normal catalyst temperatures. Refer to the following procedure for service details. Check secondary ignition, hook the vehicle up to an engine analyzer and check for a secondary ignition misfire.

NOTE: SERVICE ANY ITEM THAT IS NOT PERFORMING AT PROPER SPECIFICATIONS BEFORE CONTINUING.

4. Fuel pressure that is too high may cause rich air fuel mixtures to pass through the catalyst which could cause higher than normal catalyst temperatures. Refer to the following procedure for service details.

a. Check fuel pressure, install fuel pressure gauge, start and run the engine at idle. Fuel pressures between 28 and 34 PSI are typical (4.9L typically is 15 PSI higher).

b. Disconnect the vacuum line going to the fuel pressure regulator. Fuel pressure typically jumps to 40 PSI ± 3 PSI (4.9L typically is 15 PSI higher). Visually inspect vacuum line for raw fuel.

NOTE: FUEL PRESSURES ABOVE THESE VALUES SHOULD BE CORRECTED. HOWEVER, THIS MAY NOT BE THE CAUSE OF THE CONCERN. SERVICE AS NECESSARY.

5. Throttle plates in the throttle body not returning to the proper closed position may cause excessive catalyst temperatures during downhill grades. Refer to the following procedure for service details. Visually inspect the throttle body and linkage for:

* Binding or sticking throttle linkage.

* Tight speed control linkage or cable.

* Vacuum line interference.

* Electrical harness interference.

NOTE: AFTERMARKET GOVERNORS, THROTTLE LINKAGE AND CABLES ASSOCIATED WITH POWER TAKE-OFF UNITS, MAY ALSO INTERFERE WITH PROPER THROTTLE RETURN. SERVICE AS NECESSARY.

6. It is extremely important that all systems related to the engine and emission systems operate properly.

a. Visually inspect the engine compartment to make sure all vacuum hoses and spark plug wires are properly routed and securely connected.

b. Inspect all wiring harnesses and connectors for insulation damage, burned, overheated, loose or broken conditions.

c. Verify proper operation of the thermactor system. Thermactor systems that fail to dump thermactor air to the atmosphere properly or at the correct time can cause high catalyst temperatures.

d. Visually inspect thermactor system for damaged or kinked hoses and perform a function test on following components: air control valve, check valve, silencer, filter and the air bypass solenoid.

e. Verify proper operation of the engine cooling system thermostat.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Basic Warranty Coverage, Emissions Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

911211A Diagnostics - Perform KOEO And KOER Self Tests 0.5 Hrs.

911211B Timing - Check Or Adjust Spark Timing, Check Computed Timing And Check Secondary Ignition System With Engine Analyzer 0.5 Hrs.

911211C Check - Fuel Pressure And Inspect Vacuum Line For Raw Fuel 0.2 Hrs.

911211D Inspect - Throttle Body And Linkage 0.1 Hrs.

911211E Inspect - Vacuum Hoses, Electrical Harnesses, Connectors And Spark Plug Wires For Routing Damage 0.1 Hrs.

911211F Thermactor System - Inspect For Proper Operation And Damaged Component. Includes Function Check Of Air Control Valve, Thermactor Air Bypass Solenoid, Check Valves, Silencer And Filter 0.3 Hrs.

911211G Thermostat - Check For Proper Operation 0.2 Hrs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another quick way to check a converter is to simply strike its case with a RUBBER mallet, or the side of your fist (if the cat is cool). If the substrate is shattered, there will be an obvious rattle.

* Poor Power Ground;

Ground Location in an 89: "...it's not near the sensor. It sticks out of the loom of the wiring harness that traverses the back of the engine. You can find it by putting your hand around the loom and following it across the back of the engine. You can also use a mirror. I had to lay on top of the core support to reach mine. Trust me it's there. It serves only as a PCM ground for the O2 sensor. It isnt hooked to the sensor, it comes out of the PCM..."

Source: by j. r. Nice (J. R. N)

"The ground for .... O2 sensor is on the top of the bell housing where it bolts to the engine block. Its a 18 gauge orange wire..." by RescueBronc

Source: by miesk5

DTC 77 - failed to perform brief WOT dynamic resistance test. Need to press gas pedal during KOER; Operator didn't execute WOT when told to during self test

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke