manual to power steering conversion kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

project71

Reaction score
Recently purchased 71 Bronco and want to install a power steering system. Has anyone used any of the kits available from the many suppliers? I am fairly handy with wrenches but I am not a "mechanic", so what should I look for and what should I avoid?  

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
I've done several of these..,  They all (kits) work well.  The easiest is the one that uses the STOCK holes in the frame.

Meaning no drilling.

Simply remove the manual & install the power box.  (ahh., they're quite heavy.)

Wheels straight ahead when removing the old box. Center the new box shaft upon installing the pitman arm.

(some go on with a flat spot on the shaft so there's no mistake.)

The brackets & pump mount to the eng. ..., pretty simple. Hoses have dedicated attach holes.

The pullies are a bit more work but very doable. along with re-installing the belts.

I unbolted the steering column & tilted it down enough to get the "long" steering shaft out.

(pulled upward & into the cab)

Some time involved but didn't want to cut it. (there's bearings & felt seals of sorts at the steering

wheel & at the bottom of the column. Watch for them, clean them & put back in the same order.)

The NEW upper & lower shafts & u-joints come with most kits. Pricy but well worth it.

With the shaft & orig. box pulled, install the new shaft first. (this way, the pump won't be in your way.)

You'll have to remove the radiator shroud to R&R the pullies/belts.

Prime the pump with the wheels off the ground.

It's a "2 banana" job.., take your time & cleanliness is important. 

---- The second time you do one, it's  REAL EASY..! ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo