New Timing Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pj31704

Reaction score
I am having trouble with a few leaks on the new timing cover, nothing major, however I can't seem to figure out what is causing it to leak. I have tightened all bolts, hoses,etc. Still seem to have a little antifreeze leaking when I get back from a ride. I noticed the new timing cover has a "hole" and it seems to be damp around this area. I can also see liquid splashing around inside when the engine is running. I took a few pics. I also looked on my old cover, where it has the same "hole" however on the old cover it does not have an entrance to the inside. There is a piece of metal blocking the entrance. Does anyone know if this should be covered or why it would be leaking from here?

New Cover

Leak1.JPG

Leak2.JPG

Old Cover

Leak3.JPG

Leak4.JPG

Leak5.JPG

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
It may be, the liquid dripping seems to have a greenish tint, but is thick and feels like oil. I was thinking it may just be getting that color from dripping down where the had been antifreeze leaking before. Can I just plug this with RTV?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Ideally.., they could be plugged with a self tapping metal plug. Usually B/4 they're installed.

You could clean the hole real good with carb cleaner, lacquer thinner or the like, (non oil based solvent)

then use a good RTV to plug it.

--- BTW.., this should dry for a good while---

Give us an "update" if you would...!

What all you did., how it turned out, what was a struggle, what was easy...., etc.

Did the carb & timing tune out..?  Pan go on OK..??.., etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeiam82

Reaction score
The hole is for a dipstick tube, some are in the timing cover, some in the block and some in the oil pan. I couldnt tell you what years or engines these diff locations apply to. Could be for a 289-302-or 351 from various years.

the liquid dripping seems to have a greenish tint, but is thick and feels like oil
Im going to go out on a limb here and say the oil is coming from the dipstick hole and the antifreeze is coming from the water pump or pump seal where it seats onto the timing chain cover. Or from leaky hoses, the heater hoses and rad hose are directly above that location.

Id plug the hole either by tapping threads and putting a bolt in ( dont use a self tapper it will prob crack the cover ) or cleaning really well and sealing with RTV. The problem with tapping the hole is metal filings will go into the oil pan so unless you want to take it apart sealing it with RTV is prob best. Might be beneficial to change all heater hoses and rad hoses and get new clamps then see if it is still leaking. If it is still leaking could be oil from valve covers, antifreeze from the pump itself. Check your oil, if it is white you have a bigger problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar