85 B2 Won't Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkdeford

Reaction score
1985 Bronco II 2.8L carbureted

My baby lost her timing gears two years ago, and it has taken me this long to get them replaced along with a lot of other maintenance under the hood.  Finally got her all put back together, but now can't get her started.  Getting fuel, getting spark.  What else am I not thinking of?

Thanks,

Doug

Jimmy Neutron

Land of Confusion
Reaction score
Timing?

I worked on a BII once where they had no power. It would run great at speeds less than 30mph... the timing was out 180° on the distributor!

OP
OP
dkdeford

dkdeford

Reaction score
Timing?

I worked on a BII once where they had no power. It would run great at speeds less than 30mph... the timing was out 180° on the distributor!

Can we be certain the timing gears were lined up..., & on the compression stroke..?
Great questions.  I'm confident the timing gears were properly aligned at assembly, and we set the rotor to the #1 post at TDC of the compression stroke. Timing may not be perfect, but it seems like it should at least try to run.  I don't seem to be getting any cylinders firing at all.   

Jimmy Neutron

Land of Confusion
Reaction score
Fuel, spark, air, compression, timing... that is all it takes for an engine to fire.

If you have fuel and spark... and we can assume air, there are only a few more things missing out of the equation.

OP
OP
dkdeford

dkdeford

Reaction score
Fuel, spark, air, compression, timing... that is all it takes for an engine to fire.

If you have fuel and spark... and we can assume air, there are only a few more things missing out of the equation.
At this point I am circling back around to "spark," because I noticed my timing light seemed erratic. 

Tested the TFI module and found the coil isn't getting good voltage. 

Now to figure out why not...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo