please help 79 bronco wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlo

Reaction score
I have been working on my 79 bronco and now i cant get to crank it will fire when it turns over but wont stay cranked I have replaced intake gaskets valve cover gasket dist. wires plugs coil and icm. I have checked checked the timing and it is correct i have gone back with old parts and nothing works. Now i have i have been checking voltage going from the diagram i checked coming out of the solenoid and i have 6-8 vdc. I also checked for spark on the wire coming out of the coil with my timing light and it was firing but as i turn it over with key on #1 never sparks. so then i checked timing again and it is ok

thank you for any help

pics 014.JPG

OP
OP
D

dlo

Reaction score
  1. I marked tdc and pulled the dist. cap and turned until the rotor was at the #1 position it was kinda of poinitng back to the driver seat and at tdc on wheel. I hope this is correct. That is how i read in the haynes book. To let you know I purchased this about 6 months ago And when i got it home i was looking at the dist and the back half of the shaft housing was gone it looked like it was due to arcing i dont know if that matters or not.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
As usual.., we always recommend folks enter ALL the info. they know about their rig so as to prevent

guessing & mistakes. For example, we don't know what eng. you have..??

(see my signature below-n-left)

Looking at first post.., (check me on this) #1 plug wire post should have the rotor pointing approx. at the left side sideview mirror.

Might re-trace your plug wires..., may have placed a few wrong while replacing. (assuming this is a {cu.in.} V/8)

"..looking at the dist and the back half of the shaft housing was gone it looked like it was due to arcing"

Not sure what this means or where it is... :huh:  ?? Pics always help with these issues as well. :-B

You'll notice I moved you to the TECH section as this is not an introduction.., more likely a continuing thread.

B

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

dlo

Reaction score
sorry it is 400. I have gottn it to crank and run but timing is off i have also checked to see if my coil was firing and it is but when i hook up the timing light it is way off #1 will only light up maybe every 5-10 sec. and the ignition coil gets hot and it won't fire up and run. again i am sorry for the lack of info as you can probably tell i'm new at this

thank you for any advice

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
You're doing fine....,  we were all new at one time.

What quality is your timing light..?  I have an old beater that  hesitates, at times, as well.., but I know how to work around it.

The coil shouldn't get that hot..???  (I'm not sure what amount of voltage belongs on that coil, 6v or 12v)

Does it still have the electronic ignition..? (assume it does if the ICM is still there)

'79 400cu.in. req. a certain amount of advance on the dizzy to run correctly.  '78 400  is 12deg. advance but I don't know

about the '79.  Is the tune-up sticker still under the hood..?

Is the dizzy cap in good shape..., espically #1 pin..?

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke