Valve Covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pj31704

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting these valve covers and air filter from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard.

ValveC.JPG

I noticed it said it doesn't fit under stock hood. Is this item different than the air filter and valve covers I currently have? Size wise? I don't seem to have a problem with what is under the hood now. Thanks for any input, just wanted to check before purchasing.

Bronc76

Reaction score
Its the height of the aftermarket air filter is why it wont fit.(clearance issues w/ hood) You would have to put a scoop on the hood or a body lift for it to work.

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
Here is what I have now. Its a small hood scoop. Not sure if this is stock or aftermarket.

Hood1.jpg

Hood2.JPG

Bronc76

Reaction score
That is an aftermarket scoop.....there is already an aftermarket filter on there, so it should not be a problem w/ clearance.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Keep in mind, it's not the "scoop" (many are just facades), it's the HOLE cut in the hood that gives clearance. Can't tell from your pic if hood is cut.

(a big mistake IMHO) >:D< <'>

Also, hard to tell but it looks like the covers you now have are the more valuable. (look like aluminum)

They could be polished up for eye appeal, & save a few $$ :D/

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
The big scoop on the top is definitely just a facade, here is a better pic from under the hood. Its a very small rise in the center of the hood.

Hood3.JPG

I didn't really think about the value of the aluminum covers Bully Bob, thanks for the tip. I may try that and see how it comes out then just buy a new air filter for the rig.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Yep.., that a "factory" contour stamped in the hood. It looks good & adds rigidity. The add-on looks good as well. (cutting big holes to clear a filt.weakens hood)

Look close at how your present filter housing (bottom) clears the eng. parts.. :unsure:

The throttle linkage, hoses, etc. If it's good, it may be hard to beat.

Many aft. mkt. housings need to be "wacked" & "dented" in order to clear eng. components. Especially with a low profile carb.

HTH

B

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
I took the present valve covers off to polish and there was also a small amount of oil I had previously noticed leaking from back corner onto the manifold. The gasket was in bad shape. I got a new gasket, question I have is do I use a sealant on the gasket to the engine block? or just the gasket to valve cover? I know I had to scrape old gasket from valve cover but nothing was stuck to engine, it looked like there was no sealant on that side.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
NO.., you don't need anything "glueing" the gasket to the block. That way, you can remove covers as necessary & replace W/O replacing gaskets.

Because of your good quality alum. covers, there's no movement/warpage.

Use a good quality RTV to lock the gasket in place on the cover. Put the bolts in the holes & let it set/dry a while. Rub some oil on the gasket & snug it down. NO need to torque tight... that just distorts the gasket.

I also use contact cement for these gaskets (to install on the cover). Usually when I want to assemble right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
Got the new gaskets on and no leaks, also got an oil change in while I was at it. Thanks for all the help!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno