Damn Oil Pressure!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gearheadmike

Reaction score
Hey im new here just joined i have a 96 ford bronco 5.0 5speed with 96k miles i noticed last month "Fords so called oil gauge" was flickering back and forth a little so i picked up a new one and today i decided to change the oil so i out the new oil switch in i started it up and the gauge is reading past low i fig id let it run a few sec maybe get the oil pressure built up but still nothing? My old one still worked but like i said sometimes it would bounce a little.

Is there something im missing? Thanks

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo MIKE,

WELCOME!

I'll begin with an overview of the system with some info on what you already know about this so called Gauge.

1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, Bronco, F-Super Duty Motorhome Chassis Workshop Manual

Oil Pressure Indication System

The oil pressure indication system consists of an oil pressure gauge and an oil pressure switch.

Oil Pressure Gauge

The oil pressure gauge is a magnetic movement design consisting of a bobbin/coil assembly, a return to zero magnet and a primary magnet. The shaft and pointer are connected to the primary magnet. The bobbin/coil assembly is pressed into a metal housing which has two holes for dial mounting.

The gauge operates through a pressure activated switch. When the engine is started engine oil pressure closes the switch, providing a ground circuit for the gauge coil. Current flow through the gauge coil to ground causes the primary magnet and pointer to rotate, providing an oil pressure reading on the dial face.

The oil pressure gauge does not require adjustment, calibration or maintenance. Also, never remove the pointer indicator from its shaft.

Oil Pressure Switch

The oil pressure switch controls the magnetic oil pressure gauge's pointer position. The oil pressure switch closes under normal engine operating conditions (oil pressure above 42 kPa [6 lb/sq in]). The oil pressure switch opens with the engine (6007) off and no oil pressure.

Oil Pressure Always Reads Low

Circuit.

Oil pressure.

Sensor.

Oil pressure gauge.

GO to Pinpoint Test D.

Oil Pressure Always Reads High

Circuit.

Oil.

Pressure sensor.

Oil pressure gauge.

GO to Pinpoint Test D.

Oil Pressure Reads Inaccurately

Circuit.

Oil pressure sensor.

Oil pressure gauge.

GO to Pinpoint Test D.

TEST D

Oil Pressure Sender See how Ford changes this from Switch to Sender to confuse folks?

Check gauge operation as follows:

With the key in RUN and the engine off, disconnect wiring connector at the switch. The gauge should indicate on the LOW graduation or below.

Connect the wiring connector to the engine block ground. The gauge should indicate just slightly above mid-scale.

If the oil pressure gauge tests within calibration, replace oil pressure switch.

If the gauge still tests out of calibration, replace oil pressure gauge.

Wiring Diagram in a 96

=========

More 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL) by friends

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

gearheadmike

Reaction score
i know the original switch worked befor i changed it now all it does is when the key is on the on position the gauge reads normal as soon as its running its all the way down low.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Mike,

Did you try the test I posted?

Here it is again

With the key in RUN and the engine off, disconnect wiring connector at the switch. The gauge should indicate on the LOW graduation or below.

Connect the wiring connector to the engine block ground. The gauge should indicate just slightly above mid-scale.

If the oil pressure gauge tests within calibration, replace oil pressure switch.

If the gauge still tests out of calibration, replace oil pressure gauge.

If any unuasual engine noise; get it checked for oil pressure; even though sender is new, does not mean it is working; many parts are coming it bad. See defective parts Partial list @ http://broncozone.com/topic/22216-starter-went-start-now-cant-stop/page__pid__116055#entry116055

Or Install a Mechanical Gauge, w/T for stock gauge

Source: by Sixlitre (Malcolm H, Eddie Bauer) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/4970/22156

More LINKs in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=949

such as:

Installation, Sunpro Mechanical in a 93; "As for the nylon capillary tubing. well I got rid of it, and used the kit from Sun Pro that comes with all adapters and 6' of 1/8" copper tubing. On my 93 I mounted a mechanical oil pressure gauge just below and left of the ash tray, using one of the dash fasteners to hook up the mounting bracket. I used the light from the ashtray for a 12V source. If you use this location the 6' copper will just make it, even with routing it well out of the way of everything......I did drill a hole in the fire wall to run the tubing, and the wires for the switch for my Hellas.....I just used a rubber grommet at the firewall to protect everything. On my 302, I did not have to remove anything on the engine to gain access to the oil pressure sending unit.....you do need a socket that is made for use on sending units (dont try pliers, or a regular 6 or 12 point socket). The sending unit is just forward of the oil filter.....you cant miss it.....you can get at it very easily from below.

Source: by Streetgang (Steven F

OP
OP
G

gearheadmike

Reaction score
Thanks Got it fixed it was the new switch it must have been a faulty one i got it from autozone so that explains lol i found a new one laying in my garage which was an identical match to the factory one that came out of my truck poped that sucker in and works like new lol.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo MIKE!

Great!

You saved boo-koo $ by DIY!!!

Imagine that! A bad part from... never mind...lol

Mind if I add it to my defective parts Partial list?

Be well!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

gearheadmike

Reaction score
yea im gunna deff out a machinical gauge in it this summer after i replace the clutch and tranny :blink: :glare: :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> <_<

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo