1989 Ford Bronco HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beaubruns

Reaction score
Ok, I know based on all the research that the 2.9l ticks. I'm just curious about my particular tick. I want to know whether its the lifters or not. My truck is in immaculate (stock) condition and I just want to know what to do. Should I just rebuild or can I take measure to fix the issue. I've heard low oil pressure because of the designed clearance for valvetrain. I posted the videos for reference, the one on the bottom lets you hear the tick better!

Please help :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

-Beau

IMG_2356.MOV

IMG_2357.MOV

Seabronc

Reaction score
I would not classify that as a normal tick. Using a short piece of rubber hose, hold one end to your ear and move the other end along the valve cover to determine which valve it is. Then remove the valve cover and check the clearance condition of the valve stem and lifter arm. You will need to get the clearance numbers form a maintenance manual. It could be an oil supply problem or excessive wear. If necessary, the upper components can be replaced without removing the head. If you plan on doing that, I can give you the procedure in a separate post.

Before tearing into it, make sure that the plug wires are on good and solid. Sometimes a wire that is not fully seated will make a loud ticking sound from the spark jumping from the wire to the plug. I have had that happen after changing plugs and wires and failed to properly seat a wire.

Another possibility is a cracked exhaust manifold, that can also cause a loud ticking noise.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JWBronco1996