Ignition Module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Not Now

Reaction score
Anybody have this issue before. My 78 Bronco will actuallystall when I take off and will not start till I unplug the Ignition Module andplug it back in. After that it runs fine. I first realized this after slavingin a spare I had. I just had my 400 rebuild and have a round 800 miles on it.I'm thinking maybe my timing needs check since the rebuild and it causing themodule to freeze or something. It does hesitatewhen I turn it off at times. I have replaced the coil.

Any thoughts would beappreciated.

Don

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Now..,

Not sure what you're saying here but, sounds like you put the old orig. ignition system back in your new motor.

You may be better served by rebuilding it (replace module & dizzy parts, etc.)

--OR--

Better yet, replace it with a new MSD ignition system, or the like.

This is assuming all the wiring, fuel, & vacuum tubing/plumbing were all re-installed correctly after eng. rebuild...., & the problem is, in fact, in the ignition system.

HTH

B

OP
OP
N

Not Now

Reaction score
Thanks bob

Just disconnecting the the two plugs on the module and reconnecting them, it almost sounds like back connection issue you think.Tonight I'm going to get someone to wiggle the two pulgs on the Module, and see if i have a short. Either way your right, a more up to date ignition system is the way to go.

Thanks

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

When doing what Ford describes as a "wiggle test"

also look for corrosion or terminal back-out in the connectors

check wire strands for corrosion or damage too

Troubleshhoting by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

http://broncozone.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=2679

http://broncozone.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=2680

ok, either the Zone or more likely, Comcast is @ almost @ a Dead Stop

I'll try to post this now before all freezes

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"Tonight I'm going to get someone to wiggle the two plugs on the Module, and see if i have a short."

Sorry.., sometimes I'm too assuming. Whenever I remove an eng., remove elect. components, etc. I always clean, inspect, test things I intend to re-use.., especially elect. plugs/wires. I just assume everybody does as well.

By all means, insure the plug connections, in fact, connect. Especially if they've lived in dirt, mud, moisture.

"...a more up to date ignition system is the way to go."

This is true if the plugs prove to be connecting properly.

If memory serves.., the Ford "duraspark" did have some module issues.

Obviously, a new module plugged into a faulty receiver plug won't help.

DON'T buy any "CHINA" made products for any ignition.

BroncoSteeler

Reaction score
I replaced my ignition system with an HEI. I'm happy with it except for one thing. I'm afraid I've missed something along the way. now when the engine is running and I unhook the battery cables the engine dies. I replaced the alternator and checked continuity between it and the battery. does the regulator have anything to do with this, maybe?

Seabronc

Reaction score
It  and it's connections certainly do. It won't put out if th regulator isn't properly hooked up.  Could be a bad wire or connection.  You might want to convert to a 3G alternator. :)>-

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke