Motor swap 2.8 to 2.9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xman00

Reaction score
I bought BR 2 with a plow, under with the idea car had bad gas in tank, but it turns out 2 cylinders are running around 80 lbs. This cause so much oil to get into the manifold (?) that that hot air return to the carb. now has so much oil in it that the motor would shut off. My mechanic rerouted the hot air feed out the back,- n runs decent now- but now I have so much smoke that the BR2 can not be parked in inside my garage as I had planned. ( an allowed to run for more then a few seconds. as I had planned)

Today I called around and no one has a 2.8 ( one guy just scrapped his yesterday ) But one yard I called told me I could swap a 2.9 into the the BR2, but I have to change the intake manifold and put the distributor back on from the old motor.

Is this correct? and what other things would have to be done?

I am asking this because I have a friend with a Ranger with a 2.9 manual ( mine is auto which I need due to shoulder problems) and coudl be a cheap change.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Xman,

Welcome,

The 2.9 should swap in the truck. BUT! You need a manifold and a distributer for a 2.9. The heads are different in the 2.9 and the dizzy turns the opposite direction.

Don't make the mistake of "Frankensteining" a motor. It only creates problems.

BTW: don't know for sure the problem with your 2.8, but it sounds terminal....and I would be wary of the tech that

"rerouted the hot air feed out the back"!!??

Good Luck

OP
OP
X

xman00

Reaction score
Ok if I read this right, I can not use the intake manifold or dispatcher off the 2.8 on the 2.9. But would have to find those from a third engine?

Ok then how hard would it be to put the 2.9 in and keep it a fuel injection motor? And would the engine bolt up to trany or would I need a AAAdaptor kit to do it.

Third is there nay motor besides the 2.8 that would just slap in there with MIN. work?

The mechanic had to run it out away from the carb, other wise the motor would not run at all, this way it is usable at least, but not the way I want to...

thanks,

Rons beast

Reaction score
If you want to keep fuel injection you will need the wiring harness for the 2.9 and the ECU, as well as the fuel pump and lines. You will need to be sure you get all the sensors, throtle cable, aand any other cables as well. ( not what I define as easy...fun but not easy.) The trans I believe should bolt up, but there are some auto-trannys that have issues because of valve body design and vacuum issues. ( this from a tranny guy, not my personal experiance.)

It may be easier to find an aftermarket carb intake.

Almost any engine can be swapped in the BR-II, but each has the usual, (and some unusual) problems.

In the end the easiest path may be just to rebuild the 2.8.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Ok X,

here's the update. A Good source tells me there are no carb intakes for the 2.9. No one makes them, and nothing from any other engine will fit.

They did make the 2.8 way back in the 70s, so you have a wide range of years to find a good 2.8.....or rebuild what you have may still be the best path to take.

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
X

xman00

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your time and help. I guess I park it outside and try for a few years out of it. In the mean time I save up and get the Bronco 66-77 I really want.

Elmo

Reaction score
I dont mean to question your smarts but i have never seen a B2 with a 2.8, are you sure its a 2.8 and not a 2.9.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar