***** cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90bronco86

Reaction score
Ok I'm looking to buy a 84 bII and the owner says it needs a ***** cylinder and I have no idea what it is or if its not a big deal? Any help would be nice I dont even know if its driveable because of that?

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey 90,

A ***** cylinder is used to apply the clutch. (you must be buying a manual trans model.) It is activated by hydrolic preasure, like the brake system.

Under the hood you should have a master cylinder for the brakes, and a "Clutch master" (usually smaller).

Attached at the bellhousing would be the ***** cylinder.

Replacement should be easy. Disconnect the one hyrdolic line. Unbolt, replace, and bleed the system.

It is not unusual for thes to got bad after so many years. My thoughts would be to replace the clutch master at the same time unless you know it has been recently replaced. It too has alot of wear on it.

Good Luck

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Just a "heads-up"

It's not uncommon for someone knowingly, or otherwise, say it's the clutch ***** cyl. when, in fact, it's the clutch itself that's bad.

With two people, one pushing the pedal...., the other underneath watching the ***** cyl. If it moves at the same time as the pedal is pushed, then it's a bad clutch.

If the pedal moves quite a bit B4 the ***** begans to move..., it's the clutch master cyl. or the ***** cyl. OR both.

Also, either or both will usually leak when bad.

If the bores aren't scared.., re-building them is cheap & may be better than the ChiCom junk at the cheapie auto parts stores these days.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
On a 1-10 (one being easy) it's a 1.5 .... >:D< <'>

If you can R&R a kitchen faucet..., it's prob. easier than that. :-"

However, it's a must to determine if, in fact, it's one or both.

If it's the actual "clutch".., that's a big expense/hassle & not something a beginner should tackle. [-(

Rons beast

Reaction score
Hey 90,

Heed what Bully said....find out if it is bad before replacing or rebuilding. BUT....remember you have a 28 year old vehicle. Unless both the clutch master and ***** have been replaced in the last 3 years it would be prudent to do both.

If rebuild kits are available and the bores aren't scored, a rebuild shouldn't cost more than $30.00 I would think. ( you doing the work yourself.)

Do yourself a favor and buy a Haynes manual. Most rebuild kits come with their own instructions. Just take your time,have an organized cleen work area, ( table or bench.) keep parts in order and keep things clean.

I think once you get into it you will be suprised how simple a master and ***** rebuild can be.

Good Luck

OP
OP

90bronco86

Reaction score
On a 1-10 (one being easy) it's a 1.5 .... >:D< <'>

If you can R&R a kitchen faucet..., it's prob. easier than that. :-"

However, it's a must to determine if, in fact, it's one or both.

If it's the actual "clutch".., that's a big expense/hassle & not something a beginner should tackle. [-(
Well come to find out the ***** cylinder is already pulled out so is there any way to tell its bad without replacing it? And its a ranger we are talking about not a b 2. Im getting the feeling this is more trouble than its worth because he says it wont start and it has no starter, but it is on a 6 inch skyjacker lift with 35 boggers so idk what do y'all think. I'm only paying 500 for the truck.

OP
OP

90bronco86

Reaction score
I'm smell'n a bit of a "scam" here...! :-&

Where IS the ***** & starter..? And, why are they out..?

If this guy doesn't level with ya.., I'd move on down the road....... :-"
The ***** cylinder is in the truck just taken out and he didn't say what happened to the starter but I have a used one from my 89 ranger idk if it will work tho, ohh and I just found out it had an efi to carb swap and the owner knows no details just that the previous owner did it. Now if I can get the truck to start can it drive without the ***** cylinder?

Rons beast

Reaction score
Hey 90,

Can't drive it without the ***** cyl. It's needed to work the clutch.

It sounds like a truck that has been a PITA for someone, and what you know is only the beginning of the problems.

If it were me I'd offer the guy $200 to get it out of his way.

If he says no....say goodbye!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"can it drive without the ***** cylinder?"

ACTUALLY, yes.... :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If you going point A to point B in the rural back country/farmland. (Deltona Fla. ?) You'd have to have it runn'n then roll down a hill to put it in gear. (or push start in gear)

BUT.., if you have to stop anywhere in route, you're done. (W/O another push start) You can actually shift gears W/O a clutch but it's tricky.

Everything else seemingly working fine, eng. runs smoothly, & you still want it, why not rent a trailer or tow-dolly.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

90bronco86

Reaction score
So I went to see this truck and man was it a pos, every corner you could cut was cut, the motor didn't have any accessorys when I got the truck to turn over once oil was just spitting out from a pretty decent sized hole in the block. Waist of my time. But thanks to every one that gave me info and helped me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke