MAF sensor is bad, how do i know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

luv my truck

Reaction score
i checked and replaced a few things before i gave in and took it to a mechanic. (diagnostic only) I wont let anyone else work on my truck. He said the MAF sensor is bad, and that i need to put the cat back on before i replace the MAF or it wont fix. i dont want the cat back on and im pretty sure i dont have to. Next, i was told by a friend to unplug the sensor while the truck was idling, i did, it died when put in gear. what does that mean?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo luv my truck,

Testing; "...Common Symptoms of a BAD Ford MAF Sensor. This is not the most definitive list on the subject, but does cover the majority of symptoms I've seen on these types of Ford Mass Air Flow Sensors:

MAF Codes that light up the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT (CEL) on your Instrument Cluster:

P0102 MAF Signal Low Input to PCM. P0103 MAF Signal High Input to PCM. P1100 MAF Circuit Intermittent Voltage Input. P1101 MAF Sensor Circuit Output Voltage low During KOEO Self Test.

MAF Sensor malfunction that DOES NOT light up the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT (CEL).

Lean and/or Rich code(s). Fuel Trim code(s). A tremendous lack of power upon acceleration. Black smoke coming from the tail-pipe. BAD gas mileage. Vehicle may idle rough and stall..." read more

miesk5 Note; on page to, refer to this connector pin-out diagram for up to 95;

maf03.jpg

by SeattleFSB

================

96MAF Sensor Voltage Graph.gif

more MAF info LINKs in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=981

Attachments

• 96MAF Sensor Voltage Graph.gif
    96MAF Sensor Voltage Graph.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
L

luv my truck

Reaction score
Thanks miesk5,

This may be a stupid question but, im a girl so its aloud. Does the 95 also have a MAP sensor? i think that is the one i found, the chilton says the MAF is located on the side of the air filter, but they lied! i was looking at the sensor near the firewall/manifold.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

You have a 1995 Ford Bronco 5.8L,

correct? If so;

The Calif Broncos went from Speed density to MAF in 94

MAF Sensor (aluminum colored bewtween flexible air tube and air filter housing)

Location pic in a 95 5.8

Source: by Subrubicon16

20111106_135428.jpg

Right Click and Open in New Window is best to see enlarged pic

Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP); was used only in Speed Density Systems

Location pic in a 93 5.8

Source: by Steve

5.8l-right.jpg

OP
OP
L

luv my truck

Reaction score
ok, so i repaced the MAP sensor< the check engine light went off. I love that feeling! i rock. It still seems to have a miss starting in 3rd. Most importantly, THAT IS NOT MY ENGINE! Im a little freaked out. My ex husband did all the talk when I bought it. I thought the engine was rebuilt, here is my engine: Attachments_2012_08_29.zip

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19

http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/page__pid__74587__mode__threaded

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.

Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse. Then turn off all accessories/lights, etc.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic) or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Do Key On Engine Off (KOEO) portion first.

Look Codes up in my archived http://web.archive.org/web/20110704113025/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=118 site

And Post em here according to:

KOEO

&

KOER

JOE also has a vacuum leak section, be sure to read that and check.

Vacuum Leak Symptoms, General; Too fast an idle speed; A rough idle or stalling; Hesitation or misfiring when accelerating

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke