BW 1345 Yoke Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bebop Man

Reaction score
I'm trying to get the rear output yoke off my BW 1345, so I can replace the speedometer drive gear.

It looks like the nut is 1-1/4", but I can't get a socket around it because the opening around the nut is too narrow. A parts guy said there may be a special Ford tool I need.

Any ideas?

Krafty

Reaction score
id just take the socket to a bench grinder and take off a sliver all the way around and try again,

OP
OP
B

Bebop Man

Reaction score
Turns out a standard socket will fit, but you just have to clean out the dirt and gunk packed in and around the nut. I used a set of dental picks to get it all out.

ericconn

Reaction score
Turns out a standard socket will fit, but you just have to clean out the dirt and gunk packed in and around the nut. I used a set of dental picks to get it all out.
Hey Bebop Man, I'm about to replace a faulty speedo gear in my BW 1345. How hard was it? Does everything come off relatively easy and go back on easily too? I just don't know what to expect, I've never really done anything with transfer cases. Thanks a lot for any help.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Eric,

WELCOME!

1 1/4 12pt thinwall socket;

I do as BEPOPMAN dies, clean the threads well, and if rusty, I use a portable Dremel w/wire brush (I have about 20 diff sizes and types) then Penetrant and if nec. apply heat w/a torch (MAP gas works ok),'

penetrating fluid is your best friend.
FYI & for Posterity
I use auto 50 - 50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone (borrowed from my better-half's nail polish remover)

"April/May 2007 issue of Machinists Workshop.
Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker.
Don't forget the April 2007 "Machinist's Workshop" magazine comparison
test.

*They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with
the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a
"scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*

None ..................... 516 pounds
WD-40 .................. 238 pounds
PB Blaster ............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ..... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

*The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission
fluid and acetone.*
*Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one
particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now
use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about
as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.
The results have been widely quoted on the internet, but the picture in the magazine allegedly shows power steering fluid and not ATF, and according to lbender (who claims to be the author) in this thread, it actually was power steering fluid (mixed with acetone) that they tested.

ericconn

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the info. I was wondering more if I'm going to be dealing with a lot of fluids and/or parts falling out at me, or what. Also, how do I refill any fluid that does come out?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Eric,

yw.

Drain all fluid through drain plug; see more below;

Here is the 1345 Rebuild

http://www.broncohq.com/pdf/80-96/chassis/1345transfercase.pdf

1345 was used in 250's and 350's but for some reason this doc does not show Bronco, unless I missed it.

See Fig 2 for drain and fill plug locations on rear cover

1345 drain and fill plug locations on rear cover.JPG

See Page 16-86-7 for refill; replace drain plug;

Minimal torque; tighten to 6-14 ft lbs

add 6 pints of Ford auto tran fluid meeting spec shown through fill plug hole

Should  fill to around level of fill plug holse, so try and park on sevel durface.

Minimal torque again; tighten fill plug to 15-25 ft lbs

===========

And from my old Chilton;

Borg-Warner 1345 � Dexron� II ATF - some peeps use synthetics

Type: Chain-driven, aluminum
Low-range ratio: 2.72:1
Lubricant: ATF
Length: (in.): 17.25
Width (in.): 23.0
Height: (in.): 12.0
Used by: Some 1980-to-88 full-size Fords. Holds six pints of Dextron II ATF. This unit can be towed extended distances
because of its built-in pump that channels oil to all necessary bearings.

Our Bro here in BroncoZone Justshootme84 (RIP BRO) wrote here;

The B-W 13-45 can be found on 83-87 Broncos, although the NewProcess 208 is more common. Like the 208, the 13-45 is chain-drive and has an aluminum case. You want to keep the skid plate under the rig, as the case can easily be damaged if you drive over a large rock or tree. WHile the chain can stretch over time, most cases should give 200K miles of service or more. The number one cause of failure is lack of fluid killing the pump. And if your t-case has the weird plugs with the 7/16" square, inset holes, you can easily swap them out with some hex-head brass plugs from a hardware or auto parts store. It's easier to check the fluid that way on a regular basis (2-4x/year). For more info on t-cases, check out www.truckpulls.com JSM84
http://broncozone.com/topic/9531-borg-warner/

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

Bebop Man

Reaction score
Hey Bebop Man, I'm about to replace a faulty speedo gear in my BW 1345. How hard was it? Does everything come off relatively easy and go back on easily too? I just don't know what to expect, I've never really done anything with transfer cases. Thanks a lot for any help.
Not very, but some prep work was needed.  Since I knew I was going to have to pull the yoke, I made sure I had a new seal and bought a seal puller, plus rented a seal press.  I made sure I had the correct speedo drive-gear,  oil pan to catch the fluid and replacement fluid (plus a hand hand pump from O'Reilly Auto) to replace it.  All in all, it took about an hour.

I cheated when I started this project.  I found a transfer case at the JY, and pulled it apart while I was there so I could see how it went together.  The seal puller and press saves a lot of time and hassle.  Everything else was socket-and-wrenches

ericconn

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I was just under the truck for like 2 hours trying to get that rear nut off. It is on there really good. Just to make sure I didn't hit my head or something, it's a normal thread on that, correct? It looks to be so, just checking.

I'm trying to get an impact wrench, doing this manually is not going to cut it.

Again, thanks for the info.

ericconn

Reaction score

ericconn

Reaction score
Also, Bebop, did you use an impact socket to get yours off or were you able to use a normal socket? I cannot find one that is thin enough, and just shredded a 12-pt non-impact socket I have. I got an a long impact socket online and it's too thick. Even the thinnest one I can find is still too thick. I can't find a non-impact 6-point one anywhere.

I picked up a cylinder of MAPP tonight and hopefully the extra heat will help some.

ericconn

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone is still with me here, but I got the yoke off last night. MAPP did the trick, after grinding down the socket .1 of an inch.

OP
OP
B

Bebop Man

Reaction score
Also, Bebop, did you use an impact socket to get yours off or were you able to use a normal socket? I cannot find one that is thin enough, and just shredded a 12-pt non-impact socket I have. I got an a long impact socket online and it's too thick. Even the thinnest one I can find is still too thick. I can't find a non-impact 6-point one anywhere.

I picked up a cylinder of MAPP tonight and hopefully the extra heat will help some.
I used a regular socket, then hit it with an impact wrench.  I think, it was a year ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar