89 Bronco hesitation and power loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GNL

Reaction score
1989 running poorly

I have a 1989 full sized Bronco. Automatic, 4WD, 5.8 Liter engine, about 80,000 miles. It has been in the family since about 1990 when it was bought from original owner.

Normally the truck runs very well. Plenty of power. Smooth.

Recently, it is running poorly. It feels like it is being slightly choked, like not quite enough fuel or not quite enough air.

I start it up easily and drive away. It seems like it is running with about 80% of its power. Then, every time, at exactly the same spot in the road, it suddenly starts running with about 90% of power.

I also noticed the same behavior recently while idling at a stop sign; the truck idled roughly and then suddenly idled more nornally.

Overall, the truck runs smoothly, but there is a real sense that it is missing or chocking, but I wouldn't call it rough.

New plugs, wires, distributor and fuel filter made no difference.

I had it into a mechanic and he couldn't figure it out. He suggested running some fuel injection cleaner for a couple tanks to see if that would help. So far it hasn't.

This behavior has been going on for about 4 months. About 2 months ago the truck died entirely in my driveway. The distributor mounted ignition control module had died. I thought, great, this will fix the above described problem. However, it didn't; the new ICM made no difference.

Also, about 6 months ago the fuel pump died and was replaced.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey GNL welcome.

Start with the basics. Check for trouble codes, and report back the results. Check inside the dist. cap and the rotor for badly worn or cracked areas. Check the timing. Be sure you follow the correct procedure. ( I believe your truck has a spout connector that should be disconnected before base timing is set.) The truck should be at opperating temp also.

Connect a vacuum gauge to intake vacuum and you should have 17 to 21 in. at about 800rpm. This is after verifying the timing is correct.

Check your fuel preasure. If you don't have a tool most Part stores will check for you for free.

Since you said the truck runs better after a few miles, it sounds like there is an issue with atemp related sensor or system.

Check the basics first, and let's go from there.

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
New thoughts:

Have you cleaned the interior of the throttle body? You have to remove the TB and clean the intake ports. They get very dirty.

Also check the EGR valve. It could be carboned up so it will not fully seat closed.

But do the basics first.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

As RON Advised;

Here is a a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19

http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/page__pid__74587__mode__threaded

Joe also includes a vacuum leak check procedure.

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.

Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse. Then turn off all accessories/lights, etc.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic) or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Do Key On Engine Off (KOEO) portion first.

Look Codes up in my broncolinks.com site using the new Search function.

And Post em here according to:

KOEO

&

KOER

=

OP
OP
G

GNL

Reaction score
Thanks to all. I will do as suggested. Give me a few days though to report back. I really appreciate the help.

OP
OP
G

GNL

Reaction score
OK, I pulled some codes. KOEO got 41, and KOER got 41 and 77.

I also checked timing (PIP disconnected) and it was good.

My interpretation is that the truck is running lean and I need to replace the heated oxygen sensor. Do you all agree?

I don't know how to interpret the 77 code. During the KOER test the motor reved up as it was supposed to so the throttle was open. I don't know it was fully open, if that is what it was supposed to do.

Where is the oxygen sensor on a 1989 Bronco? Is there only one?

I still have to clean out the throttle body according to your earlier suggestions, but this code 41 fits the symptoms.

Krafty

Reaction score
the o2 sensor on an 89 should be just after the y pipe and before the CAT. if there were two it would be either on the pipes after the manifold flanges on both sides or one before the cat and one after.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

DTC 41, 42, 91, 92, 136, 137,139, 144, 171, 172, 173, 175, 176, 177 & some Possible Causes for Rich & Lean HEGO

The engine temperature must be greater than 50°F (10°C) to pass the KOEO Self-Test and greater than 180°F (82°C) to pass the KOER Self-Test. To accomplish this, the engine should be at normal operating temperature

next;

O2 Location Diagram & Depiction in 87-91 (from Factory Manual and the Ford Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM) - PASSENGER SIDE on EXHAUST PIPE from EXH MANIFOLD

Source: by Broncobill78 (Dave) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums http://broncozone.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=6665

DTC 41, 42, 85 OR THREE DIGIT CODES 171, 172, 173, 179, 181, 182, 183 & 565 are received, Check for proper HEGO Ground;

in No power - exhaust restriction 86-91 E (91-12-11)for 86-91 Bronco, F Series, & Econoline (Catalytic Converter Diagnosis)

Lack of power or a no start condition may be diagnosed as an exhaust restriction caused by a plugged catalytic converter. A plugged catalytic converter (internal deterioration) is usually caused by abnormal engine operation.

Diagnose the catalytic converter to confirm internal failure. Refer to the Catalyst and Exhaust System Diagnostic Section, in the Engine/Emissions Diagnostic Shop Manual and the following procedures for service details.

Lack of proper HEGO operation may cause, or be the result of a rich or lean fuel condition, which could cause additional heat in the catalyst. Perform self test KOEO and KOER, service any codes.

NOTE: IF TWO DIGIT CODES 41, 42, 85 OR THREE DIGIT CODES 171, 172, 173, 179, 181, 182, 183 AND 565 ARE RECIEVED, CHECK FOR PROPER HEGO GROUND.

Ground Location in an 89: "...it's not near the sensor. It sticks out of the loom of the wiring harness that traverses the back of the engine. You can find it by putting your hand around the loom and following it across the back of the engine. It is orange, has a ring terminal end and bolts to the middle of the intake in the rear

You can also use a mirror. I had to lay on top of the core support to reach mine. Trust me it's there. It serves only as a PCM ground for the O2 sensor. It isnt hooked to the sensor, it comes out of the PCM..."

Source: by j. r. Nice (J. R. N)

If the body looks clean, and the electrical connector is fully plugged in (may want to pull it apart and reconnect just to be sure it's clean),

If the HEGO ground is good, the following areas may be at fault:

Ignition Coil

Distributor Cap & Rotor

Bad or disconnected Spark Plug Wires

Fouled Spark Plug(s)

Dirty Air Filter

Stuck Open Injector

Fuel Contamination & Dirty Engine OIL

Intake Manifold Leaks

Exhaust Leaks

Fuel Pressure

Poor Power Ground

Engine Not At Normal Operating Temperature

BAD HEGO Sensor

Spark timing that is ******** from specification may increase exhaust gas temperature and shorten catalyst life. Refer to the following procedure for service details.

Check spark timing. Check base timing with SPOUT disconnected. Set base timing to the specification on the vehicle emission decal. See my site for timing

& note this;

Timing Procedure Manual Update TSB 90-18B-2 for 84-90 Bronco F Series, Econoline, Ranger & 86-90 Aerostar; May Exhibit Spark Knock/Ping after Starting Engine w/Remote Starter; Start Wire S Terminal Disconnected at Starter Relay with the Key On Will Cause the TFI-IV ICM to Revert to Start Mode Timing after the vehicle is started (Timing Will Be ********). Ignition Timing will be Incorrectly Advanced if Base Timing is Set while the Module is in Start Mode. Engine must be started w/the Start wire connected, using ignition switch to correctly set the base timing.

Source: by GENCO

Adjustment in Ford EFI Engines; MIESK5 NOTE; Spark timing that is ******** from specification may increase exhaust gas temperature and shorten catalyst life. Refer to the following procedure for service details. a. Check spark timing. Check base timing with spout disconnected. Set base timing to the specification on the vehicle emission decal. b. Check computed timing with spout connected. NOTE: COMPUTED TIMING IS EQUAL TO BASE TIMING PLUS 20° BTDC ± 3°. Use the ignition key only to start the vehicle. Attaching a remote starter might disable or initiate the start mode timing after the vehicle is started..." READ MORE

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=71

Check computed timing with spout connected.

NOTE: COMPUTED TIMING IS EQUAL TO BASE TIMING PLUS 20° BTDC ± 3°.

Misfiring spark plugs may cause an unburned fuel air mixture to pass through the catalyst, which could cause higher than normal catalyst temperatures. Refer to the following procedure for service details. Check secondary ignition, hook the vehicle up to an engine analyzer and check for a secondary ignition misfire.

NOTE: SERVICE ANY ITEM THAT IS NOT PERFORMING AT PROPER SPECIFICATIONS BEFORE CONTINUING.

Fuel pressure that is too high may cause rich air fuel mixtures to pass through the catalyst which could cause higher than normal catalyst temperatures. Refer to the following procedure for service details.

Check fuel pressure, install fuel pressure gauge, start and run the engine at idle. Fuel pressures between 28 and 34 PSI are typical (4.9L typically is 15 PSI higher).

Disconnect the vacuum line going to the fuel pressure regulator. Fuel pressure typically jumps to 40 PSI ± 3 PSI (4.9L typically is 15 PSI higher). Visually inspect vacuum line for raw fuel.

NOTE: FUEL PRESSURES ABOVE THESE VALUES SHOULD BE CORRECTED. HOWEVER, THIS MAY NOT BE THE CAUSE OF THE CONCERN. SERVICE AS NECESSARY.

Throttle plates in the throttle body not returning to the proper closed position may cause excessive catalyst temperatures during downhill grades. Refer to the following procedure for service details. Visually inspect the throttle body and linkage for:

Binding or sticking throttle linkage.

Tight speed control linkage or cable.

Vacuum line interference.

Electrical harness interference.

NOTE: AFTERMARKET GOVERNORS, THROTTLE LINKAGE AND CABLES ASSOCIATED WITH POWER TAKE-OFF UNITS, MAY ALSO INTERFERE WITH PROPER THROTTLE RETURN. SERVICE AS NECESSARY.

It is extremely important that all systems related to the engine and emission systems operate properly.

Visually inspect the engine compartment to make sure all vacuum hoses and spark plug wires are properly routed and securely connected.

Inspect all wiring harnesses and connectors for insulation damage, burned, overheated, loose or broken conditions.

Verify proper operation of the thermactor system. Thermactor systems that fail to dump thermactor air to the atmosphere properly or at the correct time can cause high catalyst temperatures.

Visually inspect thermactor system for damaged or kinked hoses and perform a function test on following components: air control valve, check valve, silencer, filter and the air bypass solenoid.

Verify proper operation of the engine cooling system thermostat

also see this by Fireguy50 (Ryan M)

===

DTC 77 system failed to recognise brief WOT dynamic resistance test. Need to press gas pedal during KOER; Operator didn't execute WOT when told to during self test

OP
OP
G

GNL

Reaction score
My 89 Bronco, previously owned by my dad, probably never had the O2 sensor replaced. It just passed 100K miles so I figured it needed to be replaced regardless.

And the the symptoms of my problem matched the lean designation of code 41 so I put in a new sensor.

The truck seems to be fixed now. I will test it tomorrow on a fishing trip.

I truly appreciate all the help and especially all the theory and references. The last time I owned a car and kept it up was in 1983. I moved to New York City around that time and there you don't need a car. That was pre internet days and information was hard to come by.

Now I'm back in the sticks and it is such an amazing thing that I can get all the info I need from a place like this. Thank you so much!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22