Light issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pj31704

Reaction score
I'm not great with electrical work but I am about to take my '73 in for it's inspection and the back left tail light and side marker are not working. I know the light works because the blinker works. Its only the driver side tail light and side marker. I'm guessing something with the wiring but also wondering if it could be a fuse. Has anyone had an issue like this before? Appreciate any thoughts on the matter. I have looked for a fuse box under dash but can't find one.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi PJ..,

What you're describing sounds like the one of TWO filaments broken or burned in your taillight bulb.

Remove it & insp. If both filaments are in place, clean the socket & bulb base.

Same for the side marker. replace bulbs if bad & clean sockets. At a later date, do this (clean) with all the rigs bulb sockets.

Lime-a-way & a Q-tip are great for this cleaning. Rinse with a damp cloth.

Lastly., there's bulb-socket grease avail. that makes good contact & protects the socket fr. continued corrosion. >:D< <'>

BTW your fuse panel should be in the glovebox.

P.S. if there is a wire cut/broken.., you can find it with a volt meter or a "light-up" circuit tester.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
I have checked the bulb, it works and both filaments are intact. I also took the light socket out and tested it directly against battery and it works fine. I am guessing somewhere in the wiring there is a problem. I have traced wiring all the way to fuse box and it all seems to be ok. Almost out of ideas but really would like to fix this problem myself. Any other possibilities? Fuse seems ok and all other lights are working. Only back left tail light is out.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
What about the side marker...is it now working..?

The schematic shows a wire directly from the light switch to the left taillight, thru several male/female plugs.

The RIGHT taillight wire taps into the 2nd plug back from the left taillight. This wire also energizes the license plate bulb.

If right side lighting works.., your prob. has to be between the left bulb & the 2nd. plug.

A quick fix would be to place a jumper wire from right tail, or license plate bulb wire.., to the left taillight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
I have checked the bulb, it works and both filaments are intact. I also took the light socket out and tested it directly against battery and it works fine. Only back left tail light is out.
By checked against the battery do you mean you used a voltmeter and checked from the contact in the socket and the frame and got 12V? If so, then I would suggest that the grounding for the socket is bad, or that the hot lead is broken and when the socket is in place the wire is in such a position that it the brake opens up and you no longer get 12V to the contact.

Good luck,

:)>-

rustyoldbronco

Reaction score
I kept having random issues with random lighting locations in my '73.it was diving me nuts.One day I happen to see my grounding strap,and it was severely corroded.I put in a new grounding strap,and most of my lighting issues disapeared.donn

spencer's76

Reaction score
I kept having random issues with random lighting locations in my '73.it was diving me nuts.One day I happen to see my grounding strap,and it was severely corroded.I put in a new grounding strap,and most of my lighting issues disapeared.donn
So where is the grounding strap?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rickyb571