'71 gauge problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coastal Customs

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and hope someone can help out here. A friend brought his '71 Bronco to our shop with gauge problems. The oil press gauge buries itself on start up and the temp gauge buries when switching the key on. Took a new temp sending unit out of the box (cold, reading 275 ohms), grounded it to the block and connected it to the gauge and it immediately buried the gauge. This would also seem to rule out the regulator since if the gauge wasn't getting power, grounding it should produce no movement. Any ideas/solutions would be appreciated

Alan

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Alan (Coastal).,

You got it right.., & that is a mystery..?

All three gages are energized by the 'lil volt-drop/volt. reg. (oil, fuel, & temp) Is the fuel gage working correctly?

It (VR) provides a "pulsating" 6v.

Can you get a probe up in there & see if the output side is providing 6v & not somehow shorted out & runn'n a full 12v..?

---(BTW, 12v to the gages isn't good for them)---

Is it poss. the owner put some wires on wrong, backwards, etc.?

Somewhere 'round here I have a schematic if need be.

Getting that cluster out (& in) is a real PITA..!!

img074.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

Coastal Customs

Reaction score
Thanks Bob. I was wondering if this was a pulse or fixed VR and your response seems to indicate it's a pulse. You're right about access too - - especially since it has the full roll cage in it.

Hi Alan (Coastal).,

You got it right.., & that is a mystery..?

All three gages are energized by the 'lil volt-drop/volt. reg. (oil, fuel, & temp) Is the fuel gage working correctly?

It (VR) provides a "pulsating" 6v.

Can you get a probe up in there & see if the output side is providing 6v & not somehow shorted out & runn'n a full 12v..?

---(BTW, 12v to the gages isn't good for them)---

Is it poss. the owner put some wires on wrong, backwards, etc.?

Somewhere 'round here I have a schematic if need be.

Getting that cluster out (& in) is a real PITA..!!

OP
OP
C

Coastal Customs

Reaction score
I'll definitely post what the fix is - - hopefully I'll find one! :) It may be a little while 'cause the owner was ok with them not working and wanted to drive it for a few weeks.

Thanks Bob. I was wondering if this was a pulse or fixed VR and your response seems to indicate it's a pulse. You're right about access too - - especially since it has the full roll cage in it.

OP
OP
C

Coastal Customs

Reaction score
Apparently it's an epdemic! We had a Scout II come in two days ago with the same symptoms and it has a similar VR. Replaced the VR (there is actually a solid state one available) and still had the problem. Replaced the gauges and it was fixed. Anyone know a source for replacement gauges for the '71?

Thanks,

Alan

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Yep., the "Scout" was the design platform for the Early Bronco.

-----I'll trade ya >:D< <'> -----

Where did you find the solid-state VR...?? :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The source for the individal instruments (oil, temp, fuel, amps) would be

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com (I'm guessing you're on the "Left Coast")

There's also an individual on this board who re-builds them & the whole cluster if need be. & at a good price.

If you need him., I'll try to find him for you.

Tks Alan,

Bob

OP
OP
C

Coastal Customs

Reaction score
Bob,

It's at scoutparts.com for 49.95. I included a pix of my '72 Scout (hope that's OK! :) ) that we just finished about a month ago. Also, no Left Coast for me. I'm on the Gulf Coast between Destin and Panama City Beach.

Yep., the "Scout" was the design platform for the Early Bronco.

-----I'll trade ya >:D< <'> -----

Where did you find the solid-state VR...?? :eek:

The source for the individal instruments (oil, temp, fuel, amps) would be

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com (I'm guessing you're on the "Left Coast")

There's also an individual on this board who re-builds them & the whole cluster if need be. & at a good price.

If you need him., I'll try to find him for you.

Tks Alan,

Bob
DSC_3254.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke