what engine in my 1988 bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanapfel

Reaction score
Just bought a bronco 88 with a trashed tranny I'm going to replace. I need to know what engine I have to find out what tranny to put in. IV looked online and everyone seems to have a 5.0 or a 5.8 logo on the intake. Mine doesnt. Here are some pics. Also. If anyone knows where I can get a cheap tranny I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
It's almost impossible to tell from pics what engine you have. Can you check the driver door post for codes, and post the VIN. Perhaps someone here can decode it for you. Or try to Google VIN decode for your truck. You may be able to find out that way. You can tell what tranny you have also.

Are you sure the motor has never been changed?

OP
OP
R

ryanapfel

Reaction score
No honestly I couldn't tell you if the engine has been changed. I read somewhere the the tranny on the 351 has a 15 in wide pan on it where as the 302 has a 12 inch pan. Is that correct. If not I'll check out the vin . Thanks

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo RYAN,

Identification, 5.0 & 5.8

To determine which EFI V-8 engine you have, look closely at the EGR Tube;

The 5.0L EGR Tube runs from the lower intake manifold to bottom of EGR Valve

5.0egrtubetolowerintakemanifold.jpg

======

The 5.8L EGR Tube runs from the passenger exhaust manifold to bottom of EGR Valve

5.8egrtubetopassengerexhaustmanifold.jpg

==========

Identification, 5.0 & 5.8; "...quick ID tip: The lower thermostat housing bolt on the 302 will be below the top of the water pump and you won't be able to put a socket on it. On the 351W you can remove the bolt with a socket.

The positive ID is to measure the lower intake; 302 is aprox ~ 8 inches wide. 351 is aporx ~ 11 inches wide.

The 5.0L uses squared ports and the 5.8L uses oval ports. If you get an intake from a junk yard it will have the matching fuel rail..." Read More

Source: by fordification.com & Ryan M (Fireguy50) via miesk5 at Ford Bronco Zone Forum

http://broncozone.com/topic/21409-engine-identification/

Carbed Engines:

Windsor/Cleveland engines. "...The most obvious external difference is the engine valve covers. The 351W (Windsor) valve covers are attached with 6 bolts, straight front to rear, and narrow in width (similar to the 302 c.i. engine.)* The 351C (Cleveland) valve covers are attached with 8 bolts, flat with 2 different planes, and wider in width. The 351W engine has a radiator hose that attaches to the intake manifold, while the 351C attaches to the engine block. (See Graphic 1 on next page). The 351W takes a 5/8” thread spark plug and the 351C takes a 14mm thread plug. (See Graphic 2 on next page). Distributor differences: The 351W has a smaller 1.245” diameter distributor gear, and the 351C has a larger 1.418” diameter distributor gear. Each engine has a 5/16” oil drive at the bottom of the shaft and a 1.557” diameter housing, measuring directly above or below the O-ring area. *The Ford 302 c.i. engine has a ¼” oil drive on the shaft, a small 1.245” diameter gear, and a smaller 1.550” diameter housing. Windsor 351 V-8 Engine: 1. Valve cover is held in place by 6 bolts. 2. Radiator hose connects to water neck on.." The 351 Cleveland's radiator hose attaches to the radiator and connects directly into the front of the engine block. It makes a 90° bend from the radiator to the engine block.Cleveland 351 V-8 Engine:1. Valve cover is held in place by 8 bolts. 2. Radiator hose is a 90° hose that connects directly to the top front of the engine block..." see diagrams

Source: by CARDONE® http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT%2030-0006.pdf

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Thanks Miesk5...didn't know about the EGR tubes.

I did notice on both the pics the insulation on the tubes was frayed and falling. I had a rare breakdown on the highway when the insulation fell and the heat allowed the heater hose to devulcanize, and blow.

A good idea is to insulate that tube with heat wrap, and avoid that problem.

On the tranny....never heard the pan size difference, per 5.0 Vr 5.8

OP
OP
R

ryanapfel

Reaction score
My egr tube does go down to the passanger exhaust manifold. 351 it is. I also looked up the vin and it says the same thing. Thanks for your help. This things gonna be alot of work so I'm sureniol be posting on here quite a bit in the next few months.

Sportsman35

Reaction score
Your engine looks just like the one in my buddies 88 F 150....5.0 but i guess its not yours lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke