Diesel engine: Has anyone put one in a Bronco?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Landry

Reaction score
Has anyone put a diesel engine in an early Bronco? Results? Recommendations on engine size?

Seems like all the Bronco ads I've found are for gasoline engines. I'd like to buy one with a diesel, or swap out for diesel. I'd like the possibility to run biodiesel.

Krafty

Reaction score
I would advise re posting this in the general discussion section so you will get more views and reply's, no broncos were ever sold from the factory with a diesel, however with the right amount of will and know how you can put just about any kind of engine in any kind of vehicle, the popular diesels to swap for are the dodge cummins and the ford powerstroke.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Landry., welcome...!

Welllllll...., that was Fords plan a while back, for the new EB.! However, it didn't go over well with the buying public. I believe it was a 4cyl.

As far as a transplant to an existing EB., using a big truck motor (weight) would throw off the balance & handling.

Another thought., who would want to follow you on the trails....? :blush: :-&

I'm waiting for someone to report with a transplanted Ford 4.2 V6 200+ hp with the overdrive....computer & all.

Last edited by a moderator:

chrlsful

Reaction score
Hi Landry., welcome...!

Welllllll...., that was Fords plan a while back, for the new EB.! However, it didn't go over well with the buying public. I believe it was a 4cyl.

As far as a transplant to an existing EB., using a big truck motor (weight) would throw off the balance & handling.

Another thought., who would want to follow you on the trails....? :blush: :-&

I'm waiting for someone to report with a transplanted Ford 4.2 V6 200+ hp with the overdrive....computer & all.
There's a few with the 4Bt a 4 cyl out of the Case backhoe which is the same engine in a dodge truck - just 2 less cyl. Seems too heavy to me. A mid/late '80s nissan/izzusu/mitisub were all in Chevettes, Courriers etc. They would B great on gas but too wimpy. I suggest a gasser that's a diesel - the ford 300/4.9! It's a lill long but has also been done several times (an Itialian 4 from Italy in the Liberty made in Brazil is about 3.2 which would B just right). There's a Perkins but I would not suggest it. A white/hercules @ 3.6 looks good...

- -Chad- -

BTW BB: Y not the 4.6 V8? I think it's even more potent?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"BB: Y not the 4.6 V8? I think it's even more potent?"

Yep, that's a "great" eng. (but there's tons of V/8's in these rigs)

I'm think'n weight (less) I have the 4.2 in my FS F-150 & it still surprises me how it accelerates.! I think it's 205 HP & the 4.6 is 230 HP.

I only have approx. 110 HP in my I-6 & I fear using much throttle climbing dirt hills. Once went airborne upon reaching a flat-top on a hill.

Point being, the 4.2 would leave some room under the hood, good hwy. speed, good mileage, of course fuel inj.,(PS A/C if wanted) & all the power one would need in the lighter EB.

Be interesting to see how that eng. worked in there.

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
Has anyone put a diesel engine in an early Bronco? Results? Recommendations on engine size?

Seems like all the Bronco ads I've found are for gasoline engines. I'd like to buy one with a diesel, or swap out for diesel. I'd like the possibility to run biodiesel.
ont let these folks fool you a good volkswagen deisel and trans will do you well do it and I will follow in my yota

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo