transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael291

Reaction score
i have a 96 bronco with a E4OD, shifts smooth from park to drive, but heavy shift from park to reverse, does it at all operating temps, is this normal, and does anybody have any info on monstertransmission

Seabronc

Reaction score
Have you checked the transmission fluid level? It needs to be at normal operating temperature when checked. Another possibility is that it has a sticking valve inside the transmission.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Seabronc

Reaction score
fluid level is good,
Then the hard shift from reverse to forward or vice versa may be a sticking valve inside the transmission. However, as a mechanical check, crawl under the truck and see if you have play in the drive shaft because it could be u-joint/s or in the differential. You should have very little if any play if you try rotating the shaft with the truck off and in PARK.

Good Luck,

peace.gif

OP
OP
M

michael291

Reaction score
its a bw 1356 transfer case with push button 4wd, the ONLY time i get the noise is when the truck is put into reverse, it doesnt make noise when it is put into any forward get, with the truck in park, you don't get any play, but when i was under the truck to try and locate the source, when the truck is shifted from park to reverse the drive shaft rotates one direction almost a third of a frull rotation then back the other direction twice its orignal travel distance into reverse

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Michael,

Is the Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL); OD off/on switch LED blinking?

Get it checked for codes anyway for free at a parts store; make sure engine temperature is greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.

Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse. Then turn off all accessories/lights, etc.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic) or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Do Key On Engine Off (KOEO) portion first.

Look Codes up in my broncolinks.com site using the new Search function.

And Post em here according to:

KOEO

&

KOER

Possible non tranny/tranfer case issues are the Manual Lever Position (MLPS) (also called Transmission Range (TR) Sensor) & Throttle Position Sensor

Internal E4OD issues could be;

valve body dirty

Low Reverse Modulator Valve Spring

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke