3 Speed Floor Shifter for 6 Cy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

astronot

Reaction score
I'll try to keep this short. For us 6 cyl. folks, if you don't want to fab your own shift rods, you're pretty much going to be dealing with Tom's Bronco Parts. That is a GOOD thing. Matt H stuck with me like glue through the whole process. I made it waaay more difficult than it had to be. To avoid my big mistake you can simply start off right. Ask for the correct shift rods! It all depends on the t-case shifter you are using. I now know there are at least 4 for the stock EB case: T-shift, stock J-shift, "improved" J-shift and twin stick. The shift rods are different for all. I went through a set for each of the 1st three types. Tom's (I think) is the only one who will fool with 6 cyl. shift rods as they don't sell very well. I believe they start with V8 rods and shorten and bend them for the various 6-cyl. configurations.

Other than that, the job is pretty straightforward. Follow the instructions! Pay particular attention to the directions for cutting the hole in the floor pan. It will be bigger than you think it should be, but take your time and do it right. Instructions that came with my kit were very good. The last floor shifter I installed was in a '66 Malibu. I was shocked at how little space there is to work around the transmission in the EB. The spring clips are a pain as you'll have to install/remove them a few times to adjust rod lengths and the limited space makes it even worse. But you'll soon get used to it.

Anyone with more specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Especially while it's still fresh in my tired old brain!

The results are well worth the conversion! Good luck!

TB

IMG_0608.jpg.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Thanks for the report. I have made it a sticky.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke