transmission swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowslayer

Reaction score
I just bought a 1990 Eddie bauer edition full size bronco but the transmission shifts extremely hard. I have a wrecked 1985 XLT with a perfectly good transmission and was wondering if the two are compatible. The 90 has a 5.8 liter and I believe the 85 is the 5.4 liter. Any advice on fixing or swaping transmission is appreciated.

Krafty

Reaction score
you need to find out exactly what kind of trans is in your 90 EB, if its the computer monitored e4od then your ecm will store trouble codes because the trans in the 85 does not have the plug ins to communicate with your ecm, however more likley you will have the aod trans which has nothing computer related like the trans in the 85 and would be a direct replacement.

you may want to be sure you want the trans in the 85 and identify what it is, cause after going from a 3speed to the overdrive i would not go back,

PS check your engines aswell, broncos in the 80s and 90's primarily came with 4.9, 5.0, and 5.8 engines, the 5.4 engine is the new generation that was introduced in 1997,

Seabronc

Reaction score
I just bought a 1990 Eddie bauer edition full size bronco but the transmission shifts extremely hard. I have a wrecked 1985 XLT with a perfectly good transmission and was wondering if the two are compatible. The 90 has a 5.8 liter and I believe the 85 is the 5.4 liter. Any advice on fixing or swaping transmission is appreciated.
First off, I'd do a little more troubleshooting on the 90. Hard shifting generally is caused by a bad speed sensor. Have you pulled the codes on the 90? There is no way that a stock 85 had a 5.4 engine and it would have come with a 3 speed C6 transmission.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo