Heater Control Valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monza

Reaction score
Hi All,

Stoopid simple question, but thats what i do :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am diagnosing a bunch of overheating (in another post).

Doing a radiator Flush - with Kit.

Need to Flush with Heater set to Max heat.

My heater Valve is corroded CLOSED.

SO - should the valve be OPEN or CLOSED for Max heat ?

Thx,

Monza

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hay Monz..,

We wouldn't have anything to do W/O you... >:D< <'>

I suggest removing that valve (they almost always freeze up) & put in a short piece of pipe/tube for now. You don't really need it anyway.

--SO - should the valve be OPEN or CLOSED for Max heat ?--

With the tube in there it's MAX HEAT., as it should be.

BUT., while you have that hose open., pull the other hose off the eng., run a garden hose & flush the heater @ run that ***** water to the ground rather than thru the eng. (Who knows what's in that heater core & hose..???) <_<

Now you can "loop" the hose on the eng. back to the other ****** i.e. by-passing the heater....and/or use some spare pieces of hose to hook up the flushing "T"

Point being., you don't need the heater in the loop for flushing....it's already clean.

NOTE: if a lot-o-junk comes out of heater...then, leave it in the loop so the chemical flush can clean it as well.

OP
OP
monza

monza

Reaction score
Hay Monz..,

We wouldn't have anything to do W/O you... >:D< <'>

I suggest removing that valve (they almost always freeze up) & put in a short piece of pipe/tube for now. You don't really need it anyway.

--SO - should the valve be OPEN or CLOSED for Max heat ?--

With the tube in there it's MAX HEAT., as it should be.

BUT., while you have that hose open., pull the other hose off the eng., run a garden hose & flush the heater @ run that ***** water to the ground rather than thru the eng. (Who knows what's in that heater core & hose..???) <_<

Now you can "loop" the hose on the eng. back to the other ****** i.e. by-passing the heater....and/or use some spare pieces of hose to hook up the flushing "T"

Point being., you don't need the heater in the loop for flushing....it's already clean.

NOTE: if a lot-o-junk comes out of heater...then, leave it in the loop so the chemical flush can clean it as well.
Brilliant!

Bloody brilliant.

I have got half a mind to leave the Heater out of the loop - it doesn't work anyway.

Unless the round trip cools the water any ?

Thx Bob.

Monza. :)>-

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
AAAAAAh.., You're making me blush....... :blush:

The heater is easy to remove & re-build...& cheap. Usually done when heater core springs a leak. Motors can be lubed up & made to work again.

But yah., that lil' bit of circulation & small rad. brings about some cooling. However., NOT enough to solve overheating.

OP
OP
monza

monza

Reaction score
Bypassed the heater for now.

Just looped the send and return on the pump.

Heater not working - so no loss there.

Looks tidier too - MST important.

Probly will order a non corrode heater valve and new hoses when I refurb the heater - in deepest winter - in California = NEVER!

:p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :p

Monza.