intermittent stalling, hard start, no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordsohc46

fordsohc46
Reaction score
i have a 95 bronco 5.8. over the last few months it began with a crank no start in the mornings after about 6-7 attempts to start it would fire up. i checked it with a spart tester and found when this would happen it had no spark from the coil to the distributor. i have replace the distributor and the remote mounted ignition module on the fender well. for a while i had no problems but the last few weeks it has had the hard start in mornings a couple of times and once last week it started right up but about a mile down the road it died. felt like you shut the key off and would not restart. i coasted into a parking lot and after about 10 mins it started up and ran fine the rest of the day. it did this same thing yesterday and left me stranded in traffic it was not firing from the coil to the dist. i pushed it into oreillys parking lot (which was not easy at all, but a pretty good place to break down) i put a new coil on but it still had no fire.and after about 10 mins it started. ran fine the rest of the day. this morning it had trouble starting but i havnt drove it. im kinda afraid to. i tried to check codes this is what i got. koeo 565? koer 116? any help would be appreciated.

Seabronc

Reaction score
That is symptomatic of the pickup inside the distributor.

Good luck,

peace.gif

OP
OP
fordsohc46

fordsohc46

fordsohc46
Reaction score
replaced icm module and distributor truck started and ran for two days. got in it to head home from work today and it started made it about 1/4 mile and died. no spark from coil injectors are not pulsing. this thing has had 2 dist. and 2 icm modules. surely i am not getting that many bad parts from oreillys. i am not sure what to do with this thing, any help would be appreciated.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Some non-Ford Motorcraft parts are coming over as pure junk.

Try a self test for Codes;

a Self Test by our buddy, BroncoJoe19 do the KOEO = Key On Engine Off portion first

& Remember to have engine @ Normal Operating Temperature before doing the KEY ON ENGINE RUNNING (KOER) portion

@ http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/page__pid__74587__mode__threaded

Do Key On Engine Off (KOEO) portion first.

Iggie KOER if engine won't run lonh enough for KOER

Look Codes up in my broncolinks.com site using the new Search function if in a hurry.

And Post em here according to

KOEO

& KOER

If pin #4 of the module is wired directly to pin #4 of the PCM, simply change to a Black CCD TFI ICM

Source: by Seattle FSB

miesk5 NOTE; use BLACK modules in 1994-1996 Broncos; you have the CCD type

No Start, Testing, Overview & Diagram in a 95 from the EVTM (Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual

Source: by Ford via Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

&

Coil Test & No Spark, No Start; "...In this article I’ll show you a very simple, easy and highly accurate way to see if the Ignition Coil on your 4.9L, 5.0L, 5.8L Ford F150 (or E150, Bronco, Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, etc) is fried and causing your vehicle to NOT START or not the cause of the problem. The test you’ll be doing is an On Car Test done with the Ignition Coil in action. You won’t need any expensive testing equipment to follow the simple step-by-step testing instructions presented here. You’ll need a Spark Tester, a Multimeter, a 12 Volt Test Light, and a helper (to assist you in cranking the Engine)..."

Source: by easyautodiagnostics.com @ http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/main_index/ford/4.9L_5.0L_5.8L_ignition_coil/ford_ignition_coil_1.php

OP
OP
fordsohc46

fordsohc46

fordsohc46
Reaction score
truck died yesterday and i plugged in a used dist my buddy had and i could spin it with key on and it had fire between coil and dist and i could hear the injectors firing. i ordered a motorcraft dist stator from oreillys have it in a couple of days. i guess i am getting junk a1 cardone distributors. also miesk i was wandering what the difference is in the icm my original and the one i replaced were/are gray do you think i need a black one? mine is a 95 with a roller 5.8 it has the steel gear instead of cast iron. thanks for all the help.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

You need the black ICM;

Here is some info on it all;

I suggest using a genuine Ford Motorcraft ICM/PIP or Wells.

Some other major brands are considered good too.

To save $, I get the PN from Ford and google it; at times Amazon has Ford MC parts from Ford dealers at greatly reduced $

...they are VG at delvy and esp pricing; I bought a Genuine $150.00 Motorcraft DPFE Sensor for $50.00 with free shipping and no sales tax; Local dealers wanted 150.00 + sales tax

...same price & discount for a Motorcraft Idle Air Control (IAC)

aqnd, this statement;

"I recommend a Motorcraft DY1077...."

Remote Mount Black CCD "Computer Controlled Dwell" ICM

Ford Bronco - Wiring Schematic

Motorcraft - DY1077 (supercedes DY679, DY667, DY645)

Ford - 5U2Z-12A297-D (supercedes F1PZ-12A297-A)

Wells - F139

Niehoff - FF413

BWD - CBE40

Standard - LX-241

NapaEchlin - TP29

Delphi - DS10056

Source: by Seattle FSB (SeattleFSB

Ford MC site @ http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=1995&m=Ford&mo=Bronco#&&/wEXAQUHaGlzdG9yeQUEdHJ1ZbeJQwrDnn1brKWLK+LH7viyyDAr

shows for your 95 5.8;

(DY-533) Ignition Control Module - Remote mounted TFI module. Does not include aluminum heat sink. $163.09

\but shown as $220.11 in the Part Number Search!

The Buyer's Guide Results shows that DY-533 is used in:

Years Make Model Engine Qty per Vehicle

1992-1996 Ford Bronco All Engines (2) 1

1992-1996 Ford E-150 Econoline All Engines (1) 1

1992 Ford E-250 Econoline All Engines (2) 1

1993-1996 Ford E-250 Econoline All Engines (1) 1

1990-1991 Ford E-350 Econoline All Engines (1) 1

1992-1996 Ford E-350 Econoline All Engines (2) 1

1996 Ford Econoline Super Duty All Engines (1) 1

1990-1997 Ford F Super Duty All Engines (1) 1

1992-1996 Ford F-150 All Engines (2) 1

1990-1991 Ford F-250 All Engines (1) 1

&

Buyer's Guide Results

Part Number: DY1077

Description: Ignition Control Module

Manufacturer: Motorcraft

Years: 1990-1997

Applications: 19

Years Make Model Engine Qty per Vehicle

1990-1994 Ford Aerostar All Engines (1) 1

1993 Ford Probe All Engines (1) 1

1995-1997 Ford Probe All Engines (1) 1

1991-1993 Mercury Cougar All Engines (2) 1

1994-1997 Mercury Cougar All Engines (1) 1

=========

My site's TFI Section is @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=230

The 95 has the Computer Controlled Dwell (CCD) ICM

Includes such as:

CCD (Computer Controlled Dwell) Testing in EEC-IV

Source: by Ford via Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

distributor9296.jpg

IF THE IMAGE IS TOO SMALL, click it

by Ford via Steve83

OP
OP
fordsohc46

fordsohc46

fordsohc46
Reaction score
replaced pick up in dist with motorcraft pn du150 and truck fired up ran fine. its been running good for 3 days. hopefully this fixed it. thanks to everyone for the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom