88 bronco 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

herbert1969

Reaction score
hi everybody, ive got a 88 bronco II , problem i have is during accelaration its missing and cutting out like it running out of gas,, it will kick up then stave back down, i pull the pump from the tank and replaced it cuz i showed to be only pumping 2 psi pressure which it should be 4 to 6 psi, but didnt fix problem, its got a new fuel filter , but still having problem, any suggestions when be greatly appreicated..

OP
OP
H

herbert1969

Reaction score
wow, i have had 24 views on this problem but no suggestions, guess its stumping more then just me, i hate to say it, i may have to pay someone to fix it...

Seabronc

Reaction score
Do you have an EFI engine?

peace.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

herbert1969

Reaction score
yes fuel injected, 2.9 v6, have replaced tank fuel pump, new inline filter, opened and clean out fuel tank and fuel reservoir tank along side rail, gonna try o2 sensor, i blew some soot from it the other day, it might be fooled out.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Have you checked the pressure at the fuel rail? Not sure on a V6, but I would expect about 35 PSI. Also, if it is like a 88 FSB, you probably have 2 fuel pumps, one in th tank (low pressure) and on on the frame rail (high pressure). I would put a gauge on if that you can see from inside the truck to see what the pressure is like when you are experiencing the problem. If it is not a pressure thing, then my next suspect is arching inside the distributor cap. I had a car that did that two different times, both times it was caused by arching inside the distributor cap. It only failed when the engine was under a load like going up hill.

Good luck,

peace.gif

andre

Reaction score
fuel presure. block cat converter.igniter or conexion on ingniter also check under brake booster there a bunch of connector make sure there good corosion prob there

like he say check fuel pressure at fuel rail

if pressure ok if not there two fuel pump one in tank one under drive on frame rail beside filter

Q

just got the truck and was it running ok b4

or you had it before it was ok

had that problem when i bouth my 90 b2 guy ad change pump in tank whit the two pump systerm

90 sigle pump not like some 88 89 model but you can use 1990 in tank pump in older moder by remouving rail pump

and use only one in tank

OP
OP
H

herbert1969

Reaction score
well havent got a pressure gauge for fuel rail, but did change distributor cap, rotor, plugs and wires, but still the same, catylatic convertor is fine,, so still trying to figure it out, guess we will have to pay someone to fix it

Elmo

Reaction score
Harbor Freight sells decent tools for the do it yourselfer their fuel press guage is pretty good and cheap too. that engine should have 35psi fuel press. Like mentioned before you may have two fuel pumps one inside the tank and one on the frame just under the drivers door. Sounds like the high press pump( the one on the frame) is not pumping or there is an obstruction in the line,like filter or a kink in the lines.

REDNECKREX

Reaction score
are we sure its fule??[/b]

I have a 86 2.9 played the same game in the Zones parking lot I changed the fuel pump “way fun” they never go out when their empty!! Seemed to work till a week later this time I was closer to home and no passengers so I diagnosed it. It acted like the fuel shut off but I had presser tinkered a hour or so then out of the blue it started! Don’t know what I did but a few days later same thing by now I had done some checking “computer, ignition mod or bad ground” ok I replaced computer! Worked for months then come spring it all started again! So cleaned and or replaced all grounds! Nope, new putter! ignition module Nope!!

It acted like it was vapor locking and the hotter it was outside the more often it did it after a cool down it would go again?? So it became my winter ride till I needed it in the summer as a back up, then my buddy was with me. We got it running rolled into an AutoZone in which I now worked part time bought a new distributer for $60 bucks!!

Wow never did it again!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo