noise from my front wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hockeyfreak55

Reaction score
i drive a 94 bronco. i rotated my tires yesterday. and for some reason the metal shield behind the rotor is now grinding on the rim as i drive. when the wheel was lifted it all sat fine. when i lowerd the jack the shield thing sits on my rim slightly and grinds as i drive, worse when i turn. what the heck is the problem and how can i fix it?

i've taken the tire off and put it back on a few times to see if i didn't put it on tight enough but i'm still haveing the same problem

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Give your front suspention a good check. Sounds like there is a worn balljoint, or possibly the wheel bearings are worn or loose.

There shouldn't be any difference in clearance between the brake stone guard and the wheel when lifted or on the ground.

Something has to be worn or loose.

OP
OP
H

hockeyfreak55

Reaction score
i took a look agian and grabed the hub. as i did the hub and rotor together pushed down. i can push it up down left and right (and spin). what could cause that? cause when i checked the other side it wouldn't budge which makes sense, just spun.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Sounds like the bearings are loose or worn out. If you're not familiar with the procedure to check the bearings, get a Hayes manual, or take the truck to a trusted shop. If the hub is as loose as you describe, DO NOT just tighten the bearings. There may be damage to the races or a broken cage. Take it all appart and inspect all the parts, and do the same to the other side as well, just to be safe.

Let us know what you find.

Good Luck.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Also inspect the Dana 44 U joints;

A suggested idea is to reach up and turn the drive axle 90 degrees at the outer u-joint, look for rust bleeding out of the u-joint caps, feel for looseness

grab the u-joint at the knuckle and wiggle it around. If it moves, the bearing is bad. Depending on how bad the bearing is, the stub axle (short part from u-joint out to hub) could have a groove worn into it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo