79 bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sub the redneck

Reaction score
i got a 79 bronco 400m nothing works on the dash cluster gas gauge isant hooked up what colors wires and the speedometer dosent work but its hooked up and the water gauge what colors wires go to that thanks if u can help

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

sub the redneck

Reaction score
i found that it is one big wire set that go to it and i checked the fuses and there all still good gas gauge still dont work and the water temp still dont work the speedo cable is still hooked up and it dosent work it mite be brokin

Seabronc

Reaction score
Well, the speedo isn't electric, so your guess of broken cable is probably right. The other two have sender units, so you need to check the connections to them and if it is good the sender is probably bad.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
S

sub the redneck

Reaction score
ok were would i find them at under the dash and what do they look like and i got this problume with the motor turns over bye it self when i hook it up to the batter and it only happend once and a wile thanks for the help

Seabronc

Reaction score
Here is a wiring diagram for the 79 Bronco http://media.photobucket.com/image/79%20ford%20bronco%20wiring%20diagram/Blown79/7678fandbroncowiring.gif from a link in our friend miesks's site http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=1 . Save that link to your favorites, he has tons of stuff in there. Here is another diagram http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/DaleFStockst/2010-01-24_125841_79_Ford_Bronco_wiring_2.gif

That starting problem could be a short in the red with blue striped wire that comes from the ignition switch to the start solenoid. There are other possibilities like accidentally connecting the battery to the wrong side of the solenoid. If the solenoid were stuck, it should have been a problem with the starter not shutting off the last time you used the key, but you should have noticed that so I don't think it is very likely.

The other two wires should be under the dash from the instrument to the sender unit. I'm not sure of the location of the temp sender on a 79, but mine is on the intake manifold front driver side. The wire color is red with white stripe. The wire to the gas sender is orange.

Good luck,

Seabronc

Reaction score
thanks for the info ill check it out to marrow thank u agen
By short in that red with blue striped wire I actually meant that it may have 12V on it at all times but is only supposed to have 12V on it when the key is in tha start position.

OP
OP
S

sub the redneck

Reaction score
checked the fuses there good the switch is ok i think i fixed the problume with the motor turing over bye it self i put a new solenoid init its good now

OP
OP
S

sub the redneck

Reaction score
I checked the switch it's good I got power going to it but the brake lights don't work and the hazards don't eather but all the blinkers work and the runing lights work iv checked the wiring under neth I dint find any shorts any idea

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22