Voltage regulator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jms69

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just signed up for the forums. I have a '69 Bronco and have installed a Centech BR-10 wiring harness. I was checking all of the connections and noticed the voltage regulator was warm/hot with the ignition switch turned off. The engine had not been running. In talking to Jim at Centech on the phone, he told me to see if there was battery voltage at the green REG S wire coming from the regulator. Indeed there is and should not be according to Centech. Jim did not have an answer on where to go from there. Does the starter solenoid possibly play a part in that? Where does the green REG S wire go in the rest of the harness? Where could the voltage be coming from? Additionally, The starter solenoid did stick twice while attempting to start and I had to disconnect the negative cable from the battery. Any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jeff

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone > . Post some pictures of your project when you get a chance.

I don't know where the Green Reg S wire goes in their harness, but if it is supposed to hook to the voltage regulator S terminal, then I would suspect that the regulator is bad. the starter solenoid has nothing to do with the voltage regulator. Are you sure you hooked the wires up according to the instructions? Check it again.

Good luck,

:)>-

Seabronc

Reaction score
Here is a alternator with external voltage regulator diagram. It is for a 83 but the hookup is basically the same. Check to see if you have voltage at the "I" terminal, the one showing the lG/R wire going to it. If so that should only be hot when the ignition switch is in Start or Run. If that is where the Green wire in their harness goes check the wiring at the start switch.

PG12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

jms69

Reaction score
Here is a alternator with external voltage regulator diagram. It is for a 83 but the hookup is basically the same. Check to see if you have voltage at the "I" terminal, the one showing the lG/R wire going to it. If so that should only be hot when the ignition switch is in Start or Run. If that is where the Green wire in their harness goes check the wiring at the start switch.

OP
OP
J

jms69

Reaction score
Seabronc,

Thanks for the help. There is battery voltage at the "I" post on the start solenoid with the ignition switch disconnected all together. Maybe the solenoid contacts are stuck together internally at the "I" post. I will swap out the solenoid and see what happens. Jeff

69bronc347

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just signed up for the forums. I have a '69 Bronco and have installed a Centech BR-10 wiring harness. I was checking all of the connections and noticed the voltage regulator was warm/hot with the ignition switch turned off. The engine had not been running. In talking to Jim at Centech on the phone, he told me to see if there was battery voltage at the green REG S wire coming from the regulator. Indeed there is and should not be according to Centech. Jim did not have an answer on where to go from there. Does the starter solenoid possibly play a part in that? Where does the green REG S wire go in the rest of the harness? Where could the voltage be coming from? Additionally, The starter solenoid did stick twice while attempting to start and I had to disconnect the negative cable from the battery. Any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jeff
you should have four wires going to the regulator, a green with red stripe which is an ignition switch feed/ turns the regulator on/comes from the ignition switch, a yellow which is a power feed at all times/comes from a fusible link on the starter solenoid, a black wire/ which is a ground, and a orange wire which is a wire to the alternator to regulate the voltage output, my sugestion to check the green with red stripe for voltage with the ignition off, if there is no voltage i would replace the regulator, but if there is voltage you either have a wiring issue or an ignition switch issue. this issue has nothing to do with the starter solenoid

OP
OP
J

jms69

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. Problem solved. First the starter solenoid was bad with power at the "I" post with ignition off. Second, the regulator was bad. When I disconnected the "BT" yellow wire from the start solenoid, the regulator cooled down. Third thing I found was the white ignition wire rig terminal on the back of the fuse panel was in contact with a solder joint for the "AUX IGN" fuse (e.g. The green regulator wire). All is functioning good now.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up. This may help someone else with similar problems in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke