Ford factory installed stereo amp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocknbrnco

Reaction score
The stock stereo went out in my 95. I want to install a high end system. The problem I have is how can I tell if I have a factory installed amp? When I spoke to Crutchfield about a few components they asked if I had a Ford amp. I can bypass this if I chose (different wiring harness) but I have no idea where to look. I spoke to the Ford dealership and they do not know.

monch915

Reaction score
My truck is a 96 and I just replaced mine, but it didn't have a factory amp. If its like mine I would think you could. Because there are two harnesses that go from the bronco to the stereo. One harness is just for the speakers. You can distinguish this one by the 4 pairs of different colored wires. One wire on each of the pairs has a black line indicating its the negative. The other same colored wire without the black line is the positive. Now on the other harness the yellow wire is your constant 12v. The red wire will be the remote wire.(the wire that gives power to radio only when key is in the on or accessory position) And the black will be your ground wire. These should be the only wires you'll need to power up the radio.(thats what I used on my stereo anyways) hopes this helps. Oh ya by the way I was able to buy the harness I needed at pep boys. It plugs right into the factory harnesses. But if your stereo is a pioneer, the harness they sell for the pioneer stereo doesn't fit into the back of the stereo. If I remember correctly the part # for the harness you'll need is a 80-1770. But you might wanna double check that.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

the factory amp is against the fire wall above and slightly to the right of the gas pedal

Location in a 96; "...I just went through intsalling a stereo in my 96 Bronco, the amp is under the dashboard, to the right of the steering column. It is the small rectangular box closest to the firewall. I thought it was in the back too, since the wiring harness that Crutchfield gave me was long enough to reach back. Highly reccommend bypassing the factory amp with the plug-in harness..."

Source: by Burns

Location in a 96; from 1996 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual; "...amplifier is behind the radio, mounted to a bracket on the instrument panel (04320). Disconnect radio amplifier wire harness. Remove two radio amplifier retaining screws. Slide amplifier slightly away from instrument panel bracket (to disengage the upper tab to instrument panel bracket) and then down to remove..."

Source: by Ford

Wiring Diagram in 87-96; Electronic Stereo Radio; from 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty and Bronco Workshop Manual

Source: by Ford via miesk5

k21084c.gif

------------

k23021b.gif

Radio Connector C2, AM, AM/FM, AM/FM Cassette

Pin Number Circuit Circuit Function

1 855 (LB) RR AMP Input Return

2 278 (P/W) Rear Speaker (RH)

3 858 (BR) RF Input Return

4 279 (W/R) Right Front Speaker

5 859 (Y) LR AMP Input Return

6 277 (LB/BK) Rear Speaker (LH)

7 857 (W/O) LF AMP Input Return

8 280 (LG) Left Front Speaker

=========

k21463c.gif

Pin Number Circuit Circuit Function

1 694 (BK/LG) Audio Ground

2 — Not Used

3 694 (BK/LG) Audio Ground

4 484 (O/BK) Liquid Crystal Display

5 19 (LB/R) Instrument Panel Lamp Feed

6 137 (Y/BK) Ignition (Hot in ACCY or RUN)

7 57 (BK) Ground

8 797 (LG/P) Battery Feed to Stereo

Radio Connector C1, All Non-Premium Sound Radios

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar