1984's 2.8 V6 needs a rebuild, any suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jethro819

Reaction score
I have an 1984 Bronco 2.Also I am pushing 31x10.50's on it. It has about 150,000 miles on it. I noticed here lately that when I drive up hill.. I have hardly any power. I am thinking it is time for a rebuild. I want to do it right and try anything that can add a few extra horse power to the V6. I am thinking going .40 over on the pistons and have the heads rebuilt with larger valves.

Has anyone out there brought a slow and sluggish 2.8 back to life?

OP
OP
J

jethro819

Reaction score
I did a complete rebuild on it. Put a 2 barrel Holley 350 cfm on it, Comp Cam upgrade and MSD ignition upgrade. I have plenty of power now. It is amazing how this revived that little engine.

When you said regear, would I need to do that for only off road purposes? This is my daily driver with occasional off road use.

Seabronc

Reaction score
I did a complete rebuild on it. Put a 2 barrel Holley 350 cfm on it, Comp Cam upgrade and MSD ignition upgrade. I have plenty of power now. It is amazing how this revived that little engine.

When you said re-gear, would I need to do that for only off road purposes? This is my daily driver with occasional off road use.
Two things happen when you increase your tire size above the stock ones.

1. It tends to make it a little doggy, the larger the more doggy.

2. The Speedometer becomes inaccurate, shows you slower than you actually are going. Could result in getting a speeding ticket :-& .

You solve the doggy by re-gearing

You solve the speedo problem by; for some years, an new speedo gear, or reprogramming your PSOM if you have one.

Re-gearing will sometimes fix the speedo problem but not necessarily. It could require a combination of re-gearing and speedo gear.

Good luck,

:)>-

Add your truck vitals to your signature, it makes answering some questions a lot easier and hopefully a lot more accurately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thepossumface

Reaction score
Yes you should re gear , i had 35s on stock gears....so stupid the P.o was a ****** but it drove like ****. 4.10 is what is in it now drives like a scotted dogg haha and better MPG's,

but for your rebuild put some shorty headers it will help with power plus MPG, also go with a aftermarket intake as well, i know its not much but it really helps out. I saw a difference

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar