Manual Hub won't lock into place..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
So we got a lil bit of snow tonight.. thought it'd be safe to lock the front end incase in need of 4WD. However, the passnager side won't 'click' into the lock position. It turns all the way, but just missing the click form in the "LOCK" position. The driver side is fine, and locks like normally.

Also, I noticed with a sudden lockup on the brakes, there is a very loud, and a heavy feeling of a something slamming into something. It's so rough, if feels if you did this 3 or so times in a row, the axle will fall off, you roll into a ditch and the truck blows up. However, normal stopping, and hitting the brakes softly to lock up all wheels (always has done this on snow/ice) it doesn't do it. Just going 15-20mph and slamming on the brakes. I'm wondering if this is in relation to the passanger hub not locking. Also the hub not locking on the passanger side, whcih has the same clunk while braking on dry roads to a normal stop around 12-18mph is also in relation to the horrid clunk and failure of the hub..

So what can cause a hub to fail? I plan to take it apart in a day or two and cehck things out. Just need to buy a needle nose for the C clip inside there.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

First,

"...Manual Hub OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS: ONLY use fingers to turn dials. DO NOT USE PLIERS. Set the hublock dials to “FREE” and transfer case to 2-high for all driving that does not require four wheel drive. To engage four wheel drive set the hublock dials to “LOCK” and set the transfer case to 4-high or 4-low. Return the transfer case to 2-high before disengaging hublocks. Do not drive on hard surface roads in 4-wheel rive because it can cause drive train damage. Do not move the vehicle if the hubs are anywhere between “FREE” and “LOCK” or it will damage the hublocks. Driving with only one hublock engaged can cause drive train damage. Driving with the hublocks in ”FREE’’ and transfer case in 4-low can cause drive train damage. To ensure lubrication of the front axle, engage hublocks for a minimum of one mile monthly..." Source: by Warn®

2nd. to check;

Operational Test; "...To CHECK FOR PROPER ENGAGEMENT, dial both hubs to LOCK and raise the front left corner of the vehicle off the ground. Spin the lifted tire. The drive line will turn if the Hub is engaging properly. TO CHECK FOR PROPER DISENGAGEMENT, dial the lifted wheel hub into FREE and spin the lifted wheel. If the drive line does not turn AND you hear NO ratcheting sounds, the hub is disengaging properly. Repeat step 5- 6 with the right wheel & hub. NOTE: The hubs are not required to seat against the wheel housing when installed, they may move in and out quite easily. This “float” is normal and will not affect performance..."

&

SERVICING INSTRUCTIONS: Service at the same interval as wheel bearings. Clean and lightly grease

internal working surfaces.

Source: by Warn®

Ford specifies XG-1-C Motorcraft® Premium Long-Life Grease

(or any name brand grease that is used for ball joints, U-joints, wheel bearings, brake self adjusting screws and

steering gear) - use what you used on the drive shaft slip yoke.

3rd; Prob. Causes;

Carmelized grease

lack of Maintenance (no grease)

or cap's O-ring is damaged & contaminants creeped in

"one other trick for ya...the warn dials are sometimes found to be difficult to turn. Once one is cleaned of any grease and junk, put a light coat of antiseize **** on the little detents on the inside of the cap that the wave spring moves up and down on. The freer this motion is, the easier the dial will be to turn. And the antiseize as you know does not wash out easily and stays very fluid under extreme temps...

I spread a very light coating of grease (what wouldn't wipe off with my finger) around the edge to make sure the o-ring was lubed

" by Jeff!

Here are the Warn Service kit PN's, if you have Warn hubs;

http://www.warn.com/truck/hubs/hub_service_parts.shtml

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Yeah leaky clyinder was taken care of. Not that bad of a job. I thought it was much worse..wooo

Thanks for the hub info. I'll be taking it apart and seeing if there is anything broken or needs grease. It's only getting into the low teens today, with a foot of snow on the ground so I'll wait until my day off when it'll be back in the 50s..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom