1995 bronco fuse/relay question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hambone69

Reaction score
Could anybody tell me what those relays to the right of the fuse box is? There are 4 relays and I cannot find them anywhere and what they control. I circled the relays in a black oval.ABSCut.jpg

Seabronc

Reaction score
They are for the trailor package. See attached diagram

Good luck,

:)>-

Power Distribution 028.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Hambone,

Good diagram Fred, thanks!I recognize that diagram. it's part of Froggmann's (Ken P) ABS cut-off switch project.

What are you planning to do or repair?

Seabronc

Reaction score
yo Hambone,

Good diagram Fred, thanks!I recognize that diagram. it's part of Froggmann's (Ken P) ABS cut-off switch project.

What are you planning to do or repair?
Actually it is right out of the 95 EVTM. Which, by the way, I would suggest that hambone69 get a copy. They are inexpensive on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-Ford-Bronco-EVTM-Electrical-Manual-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem483b4944c2QQitemZ310232302786QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

hambone69

Reaction score
seabronc thanks for the diagram on the relays and I never heard of that maual so I'm going to pick one up!!

miesk5 I'm having troubles starting my 95 bronco. I think it's electrical when I leave key in on position and jiggle wires under the hood, I hear the fuel pump relay reset and then it starts. Sometimes I could just be standing there and hear the fuel pump relay reset, then it starts right up. I've replaced numerous parts to no avail and I spoke to a mechanic that informed me of the ford trucks' fuse box in engine compartment rust out underneath causing the wires to short out. I've called several places locally and cant even find 1. Junkyards even dry!!!

So that's my mission...

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Fred, thanks again

I have the 92, 94, & 96 PDB lay-outs and the relays are in same position in 95 as in 96, but in 96 at ****-Fuse #22. it shows "Diode Current Flows from Fuse 22 to PCM Power Relay"

in 95 @ same location, the ****-fuse is described as "U, Ignition Sys, PCM Power Relay Coil"

beleive Ford moved the Diode from PCM to PDB in 96.

In the 95 Wiring Diagram below it shows U as the Fuse for the PCM power Relay,,,

and in your 95 Diagrams way below it shows the Diode in PDB...

Will look @ all this another time when I have more time

=========================

Hambone,

Try swapping the Horn Relay w/PCM Power Relay...

if same situation,

Swap Horn w/Fuel Pump Relay

I

This why:

Operational Sequence; "...

When the ignition switch is ON, it turns the EEC power relay ON thru **** Fuse U. thru PCM Power Diode & then to the PCM power Relay Coil

The PCM power relay when closed (am thinking this relay may have it's contacts stuck closed; see if you can get to that Yellow Wire from it to FP Relay, jiggle that one) provides power to the powertrain control module (PCM) and the control side of the fuel pump relay.

If the ignition switch is not turned to the START position the PCM will shut the fuel pump OFF after 1 second. The PCM will operate the fuel pump when the ignition switch is turn to START position to provide fuel while cranking.

After the engine starts, the PCM will continue to operate the fuel pump unless the engine stops, drops below 120 rpm or the inertia switch is tripped...is used as a safety device in the fuel system. The

It is designed to open the fuel pump power circuit in the event of a collision. ...."

, combo of Chilton/Nichols/Delmar & Haynes); some may be incorrect, as reported by Seabronc, thanks Seabronc! NEW SITE URL!!! MUST REGISTER TO VIEW; select year, make, model, engine size and go to appropriate section

Source: by Chilton via AutoZone

============

Wiring Diagrams (INCLUDES BRONCO & Single Tank F 150); 91 (INCLUDES BRONCO & Single Tank & Dual Tanks & Pumps F 150) & 95 F 150 w/Dual Tanks & Pumps

from Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM)

Source: by Ford via Ryan M (Fireguy50) at fordfuelinjection.com

http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/bronco_1995_25-01.gif

Ignition to EEC/FP Relay Wiring Diagrams in a 95 (see #1, 2, etc.) by, Guess WHO?

by Seabronc at Ford Bronco Zone Forums !!!

Use a Meter to ck for voltage along that Yellow wire w/ign sw On

OP
OP
H

hambone69

Reaction score
miesk5 I tried everything you mention, swapping relays and jiggle yellow wires, nothing worked. I even took out the fuse box and everything was clean there with no corrosion. could someone tell me what the electronic engine control relay diode does and should I try replacing that?

thanks

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo

Diode is ion for ckt protection in event of battery connection A** backwards, etc.

When you pulled the PCM Power Relay & Fuel Pump Relays; were the sockets clean & free of corrosion?

Were you able to use a meter to ck for power along the ign sw, and relay(s) paths?

& let's go over it again.

when I leave key in on position and jiggle wires under the hood, I hear the fuel pump relay reset and then it starts.

So, it won't start w/key in Start pos?

Will starter turn over?

or will starter turn engine over, but it won't run?

---------------------

Sometimes I could just be standing there and hear the fuel pump relay reset, then it starts right up;

same Qs as above:

Will starter turn over?

OP
OP
H

hambone69

Reaction score
Yes they were corrosion free. I think I figured it out though. The positive cable that connects to the starter relay is causing the problem. When I jiggled that wire the fuel pump relay went crazy. It kept resetting. I'm going to dig into that bunch of wiring and see what is causing the problem.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

ok... that is better than going thru the ENTIRE Fuel Sys & Contril Ckt Wiring tests!

May as well ck the ground cables from batty etc too

This is sim to your 95;

Locations & Components in a 96;

G101 front of engine compartment, front of fender apron (D1) - RH = Passenger side mine has 2 small black wires between starter relay & headlight; this is #5 in the diagram;

G100 & G104 (tied together in diagram); G100 @ LH front of engine compartment on upper radiator support;

G104 @ Rear of LH fender apron near hood hinge and 4WABS Test Connector (RED); G100 Serves Component, Fuel Pump Module, Inertia Fuel Shutoff, Misfire Sensor, Misfire Sensor Shield, Output Shaft Speed (OSS) Sensor, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 5.0L;

http://broncozone.com/topic/20952-loose-ground/page__pid__109954__st__0entry109954

G104 Serves Component: 4WABS Control Module, 4WABS Data Link Connector, 4WABS Relay #1, Instrument Cluster, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 5.8L, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 5.8L,

Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM), Trailer Relay Box;

G103 (battery to engine) Lower RH front of engine serves Component, 4WABS Pump Motor, Battery, Data Link Connector (DLC), Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 5.0L, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 5.8L, Right Front Park/Turn Lamp, Right Front Side Marker Lamp

Right Headlamp;

G201 Behind bottom of LH cowl panel (driver's side kick panel)

Component, Compass/Outside Temperature Module,

Day/Night Mirror, Inside Cargo Lamp, Left Power Lumbar Compressor Motor, Outside Cargo/High Mount Stop Lamps, Right Power Lumbar Compressor Motor, Seat Belt Switch, Door Lock Actuator (PDL & Probably Power Window Motor);

G200 Behind bottom of RH cowl panel serves Component, Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor, Electronic Shift Control Module, Instrument Cluster, Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM), Remote/Keyless Entry Module, Speed Control Servo/Amplifier Assembly; G103 (battery to engine) Lower RH front of engine serves Component, 4WABS Pump Motor, Battery, Data Link Connector (DLC), Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 5.0L,

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 5.8L, Right Front Park/Turn Lamp, Right Front Side Marker Lamp, Right Headlamp;

G400 Rear Window Defroster @ LH rear corner of cargo area, near rear lamp assembly;

Engine Block pic in a 94 5.8; "...The black battery wire goes from the front bolt of the engine mount (on the block) to this tab & up to the battery post, where a smaller black wire goes to the core support, providing a continuous ground path between the engine, frame, battery, & body; Frame & Battery pic in a 93; "...With the wheelwell gone, it's easy to inspect the frame ground, just inboard of the spring tower on top of the frame rail. The battery ground cable is stripped ~3/4" and a tab is soldered on so it can be bolted to the frame; Intake Manifold to Block Strap Location in a 96 5.0 is between 2nd & 3rd plugs on passenger side;

SEE DIAGRAMS

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke