Heavy duty roof rack on a 87 Bronco 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ethanhickox1990

Reaction score
I just signed up because I am looking for some help with a question or 2. my dad and I are fixing up my bronco 2...bodywork, paint job...I plan on trying to beef up the 2.9 fuel injected engine....but the main thing rite now is I need to know the ins and outs of installing a roof rack capable of holding anything I throw at it. We ripped out the crappy headliner and we plan on putting a new one in it. But before this I'd like to know how to reinforce the flimsy braces that hold up the roof....which used to flex downward at high speeds....I want to keep the interior as close to stock as possible...none of this chopping the roof off or putting in a roll cage...just something to beef up the supports without interfering with putting a new headliner in....

Some history....this truck....I bought it on eBay for 500 bucks....had to put new brakes and a clutch just to get it road worthy. I've had it since I was 15 after I blew the engine in my 77 f150....I love this bronco 2....the only problem we have ever had was the fly wheel ring gear teeth getting stripped by the starter being loose....that 2.9 is almost bulletproof...I have alot of memories in that truck....I want to fix it up and keep it till it rusts to pieces....but I want it to look badass and run like a scalded ape... Thanks for all your help. I'd appreciate any ideas you guys have as well.

muddrivermike

Reaction score
Ok are you talking about a roof rack covering the entire roof,or one that just sits abover the driver area? I myself is working on putting one above just my area,due to the fact the rear top comes off.For MY truck im bolting the mounts down to the gutter rails above each door useing the same mounting as ladder racks bolt to the top of vans.Now I know there are a couple of companies out there the make mounts to go through roof tops that are waterproof,so water doesnt get in.Cant remember who though,Maybe some else on here will know.With these mounts you SHOULDNT have to add or reinforce any roof mounts,But that also depends on how many mounts there are to spread out the weight and how much weight its going to be holding.Your roof metal isnt that thick or strong as it is..Good luck though

OP
OP
E

Ethanhickox1990

Reaction score
The racks I'm looking at mount up to the existing rails. Here's where I want to cover my 6... I don't want the roof to cave in if I throw 250-300 pounds of gear or a good size mule deer on the roof rack....www.rocky-road.com...here's the website. One big mistake this website has is it shows close ups of how the axe/shovel rack,jerry can rigging,tire mount,light mounting brackets,etc...**** my dad and I can mig weld a rack together for less than 200 bucks of 1inch metal tubing and make it custom...yeah it wouldn't be powder coated but that's what primer,rustoleum, or krylon is for...anyway I do appreciate the info bud.

muddrivermike

Reaction score
I see what your sayinh,They do show a lot of detail.In a couple pics they show it mounted to a factory roof rack also.So it makes me wonder,,How much weight can the factory rack hold with that attached to it? What I would do for the **** of it, is call the company and tell them your "Thinking" of buying one of their racks and want to know what the weight capacity of it is.That might give you some insite as to if you have to re-enforce anything or not.Might just be bolt up and go,You never know.....

REDNECKREX

Reaction score
Sorry its been a long time since I’ve looked under a headliner but I thought there was a brace going all the way a crossed the roof right where the dome light mounted. If this is the case I would do as I did to reinforce my headlined on my 77 highboy and go to a junk yard get that cross member and or make one to mach and add it in between the back and the dome light brace. I then added a brace between them to braces. You can now Anacker to these two and the one down the center for extra support and the double walls with the curve on the sides will support more weight than you should be caring on top “for rollover issues”.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke