Engine

5 replies to this topic

#1 fudge747

fudge747

Bronco Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:43 AM

I have a '77 that has a dying motor. From talking to folks, it'll be just as, if not cheaper for me to drop a crate engine in as it would to have a complete engine rebuild. I'm just looking for a stock 302 to put it, nothing fancy. I live in the Atlanta area. Anyone have any suggestions for distributors in the area or one that won't kill me on shipping.

#2 Bully Bob

Bully Bob

TOP GUN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3160 posts
  • Interests:Going nose-to-grill with GIANT Bulls here in the high desert.
    Hence-forth my given C.B. trail handle;
    "Bully Bob"

Hot women, 4x4'n, flying homebuilts -- or -- a nice Super Cub !
  • Favorite Bronco Year?:6677

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:06 PM

Hi Fudge.., welcome..!
I prefer a freshened orig. motor but that's just me...
--- Don't those crate motors come fr. Mexico..? ---
The key is finding a good machine shop, that does quality work, in your area.
They can & will walk you thru their shop & show you the where, what, & hows on a re-build. :-B

Edited by Bully Bob, 15 May 2010 - 02:07 PM.

---Jeep recovery unit---
1966 "U-13" Roadster...topless, doorless. (with rag top-n-doors)
200 cu.in. I-6 with 250 head.
$30 homemade HEI elect. ignition.
Pwr. steering, Hurst 3-speed floor shifter.
Split headers, dual exhaust, Holley 1 brl.
Stock axles...456's...32's ...Posi rear. 2.5 in. lift.
Full roll-cage, front.
65 gallons of fuel on board..!
70+ MPH cruise---15 MPG
6 EB's (& 11 early Land Cruisers) referbished & sold..

#3 Bronc76

Bronc76

Bronco Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Favorite Bronco Year?:1997

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

X2 on the rebuild of the original. You can have it built to your tastes as far as picking parts and see that its done right.

#4 MachDream

MachDream

MachDream

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:59 AM

I have a '77 that has a dying motor. From talking to folks, it'll be just as, if not cheaper for me to drop a crate engine in as it would to have a complete engine rebuild. I'm just looking for a stock 302 to put it, nothing fancy. I live in the Atlanta area. Anyone have any suggestions for distributors in the area or one that won't kill me on shipping.

Hello Fudge..I was in the exact same boat as you a few months back with my orig 302 getting weak. Like you, i did the research, and also found that after parts, machine work, driving back and forth, etc..it was more cost effective to buy a reman or a crate engine...but it all depends on what you want out of it. I, too, made mine into a daily driver and i got lucky and found a complete 0 mile 302, .40 over with a little cam on craigslist and i got it for a great price. it is true that thre is something to be said for rebuilding your own, etc, etc but all and all you'll be time and money ahead to find a reman or one that is already done. i went with the HEI style distributor, 1 wire alternator, etc and now have a great running super solid motor that im very happy with. Good Luck to ya!
76 Bronco Explorer
302 Edelbrock Performer/1405 600cfm carb
Unmolested Clean Original North Dakota Truck
4" Superlift
Stock manifolds, 2 1/2 pipe into Dual 40series Flowmasters oh it rumbles so nice!

#5 S_bolt19

S_bolt19

Bronco Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Interests:Broncos and hockey are my hobbies, though some say obsessions. I also like to hunt, fish & 'wheel when ever possible.

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:45 PM

x3 on the rebuild. It can be made for what you want. I rebuilt mine with fuel injection for less than a crate engine would have cost.

72 Daily Driver

- 5.0 EFI - NP435 - BB 9" 4.11 ARB Locked - D44 4.10 ARB Locked - Onboard Air - Front & Rear Disk -
- Yukon Axles - D & C Extreme Rock Bumpers - Hydro-boost - Stone Crusher Steering -

No honey, those were always on there.....

Motorstats.com Your Racing Headquarters

#6 bigbluebronc

bigbluebronc

Bronco Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Wheelin, fishin, snow and water skiin, BBQ smokin

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

When I was much younger and had no $$ my engines would get( as long as the bearing and ring surfaces where not grooved or streaked) a hone and new ringsand main bearings and gaskets and I would alway get at least 35,000 out of them before they got tired again. Is your truck just an offroader or every day driver? For an every day rig that is like three years for an offroader that is like 10 years.. Do the math and count your pennies and do what you think is best good luck...
BBB
All 4x4s are cool lockers and gears get you there big tires and lifts are for mall crawling.
1985 extra cab yota chevy rears custom fronts cross over steering 5.29s lockrites front and rear 22rec auto haha one foot wheelin. and only 33s, my truck flexes better then a circus freak.....haha

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users