is it linkage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

opy

Reaction score
1992 Bronco Eddie Bauer 351W E4OD. I am having trouble with gear selector movong to the correct position to put in Park. If I run the shifter down to first and back up it will catch.I don't think there is a tranny problem. The shift tube seemed to be lined up correctly on the steering column. This would mean the linkage needs adjusting? Also, I forgot to disconnect the the wire to the gear indicator when I dropped the steering column. Yup, it broke off; LMC does not have that part listed. Any ideas where to get another?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Krafty is correcto-mongo again on that thin wire to da indicator. Or get one from Ford; Chris A bought one from his local dealer for $20.00 in 2004

Shift Indicator Replacement in a 94 Source: by Chris A (blueoval78) at SuperMotors.net

Do you have any other problems such as CEL or other tranny shifting issues? If so, a guess is that the Manual Lever Position (MLPS) needs adjustmt or replacement if the Bronco was run thru deep puddles or..

Nagging Neutral Nonsense & Pinpoint Test, Manual Manual Lever Position (MLPS) also called Transmission Range (TR) Sensor. Some of the problems the MLPS can cause are wrong gear starts, TCC hunting, no 4th gear, engine stalling, high or erratic line pressure & a sudden neutral condition; The negative lead of the multimeter should be placed at the MLPS signal-return ground terminal at the MLPS...This sensor is responsible for more malfunctions than any other sensor in the sys- tem, and the kicker is that it seldom stores a code 67 or 634..." Source: by Pete L at transonline.com

and for the initial problemo;

Shift Cable Adjustment & Indicator Cable Adjustment in 92-96 Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

Steve also shows how to adjust that Shift Indicator Cable WIRE;

1. Remove the four screws from the lower steering column shroud. Remove the lower steering column shroud.

2. Rotate transmission range selector lever clockwise until it bottoms out in first gear.

3. Rotate transmission range selector lever counterclockwise three detents (overdrive position).

4. Hang a three pound weight on the transmission range selector lever.

5. Center pointer in the middle of D if equipped with C6 transmission, or (D) if equipped with E4OD transmission, by rotating the thumbwheel located on right-hand side of steering column actuator housing.

"...If the cable sheath is white, it's probably about to break no matter how careful you are. If it's black with mesh reinforcement, you almost can't break it..."

Source: by Steve83' he is describing the WIRE as the CABLE

For more info, see these photos & diagrams see his:

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/701936

Items #26 & 34 are known to get loose; #28 is known to wear.

34 Screws, Arm N806584 (Automatic Only)

26 ****** Shift Tube Clamp N806584 (Automatic Only)

Items #19 & 25 are known to break, and Ford offers upgraded versions.

19 Column Shift Selector Lever Plunger 7361 (Automatic Only)

25 Transmission Column Shift Selector Tube 7212 (Automatic Only)

Its for a Crown Vic, but similar

----

GL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22