Power steering flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Time for a power steering flush. My haynes manual doesn't tell me how to do it..or maybe I missed it. It's missing a couple pages in the index so can't do a direct search. Flipped through it with no luck..

Is there any write ups?

What fluid is to be used? (regular PS fluid I assume?) Where/how do you drain it?

I plan on doing this on Wednesday/Thursday.

Seabronc

Reaction score
The service manual only suggests flushing the PS fluid if you have had a pump failure and could have had fluid contamination.

Use standard Ford transmission fluid, (Mercon)

Procedure:

1. Leave all hoses connected, except the pressure line at the gear box.

2. Place pressure line in a suitable container.

3. Fill the reservoir with fluid (ATF)

4. Disconnect the coil wire to prevent engine from starting

5. While approximately two quarts of steering gear fluid are being poured into the reservoir, engage the starter.

6. As soon as all the fluid has been poured in, turn off the ignition

7. Attach pressure hose to the gear box

8. Check the reservoir fluid level

9. Crank the engine with the starter an continue adding fluid until the level remains constant.

10 Attach the coil wire. Start the engine and cycle the steering wheel from stop to stop to expel any air from the system.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks a lot!

Now what about Mercon III or whatever? I don't think I found the regular stuff..IIRC it was III or V rated..either one work?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks a lot!

Now what about Mercon III or whatever? I don't think I found the regular stuff..IIRC it was III or V rated..either one work?
All Mercon is compatible. The current one I believe is V which if you read the label I'm pretty sure it says that it is compatible with the older stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke